Why Are PMD Christians So Obsessed With The Antichrist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-09-2013, 03:12 AM
RE: Why Are PMD Christians So Obsessed With The Antichrist?
An excerpt from my book, Manifest Insanity, that deals with PMD:

“What is dispensationalism?” Miss Trevalio asked.

“That is a very good question and since dispensationalist doctrine is the direct ancestor of your fundamentalist beliefs, you should—as good, God-fearing evangelicals who parrot his ideology—all know who John Nelson Darby was and what his beliefs were. Darby was a former Anglican priest in the Church of Ireland who is considered the founder of the movement which believes that God relates to humankind, or dispenses his will, in different ways over time. Examples of these varying dispensations would be the covenants with Abraham and Moses; or to Christians with the new order as proclaimed by Jesus and the Kingdom. The core of Darby’s doctrine, as with the original message of Jesus and preached by Paul, was apocalyptic and preoccupied with the coming end-times. I suppose in this regard, fundamentalists really are going back to the original fundamentals of Jesus’ ministry.

“Darby was obsessed with his ideas on the rapture, which he made a central tenet of his theology based on Paul’s first letter to the Thessalonians—as his doctrinal descendants Lindsey and LaHaye do in their books. Yet, no Christian sect in the previous eighteen hundred years had ever preached a rapture doctrine. Darby’s premillennial beliefs—as in before the one thousand year reign of Jesus described in Revelation 20—were wholly and entirely new in Christian thinking. Now, hands up, who in the class just assumed rapture ideology has always been a part of Christianity and not a radically new tangent invented only within the last two hundred years? Come on, be honest,” Jeff beseeched them when the class hesitated, then slowly hands went up around the room.

“As I thought, you preach the words, but you have no idea where they came from. Although, one of the three Cappadocian Fathers and a Doctor of the Church, Saint Basil the Bishop of Caesarea would be so proud of you. He said, ‘Let us Christians prefer the simplicity of our faith to the demonstrations of human reason . . . For to spend much time on research about the essence of things would not serve the edification of the Church.’ That’s a nice way of saying if you, the faithful, know too much then you might start to question the divinely ordained authority of your church leaders and the pungent doctrines they impose upon you. Then they might have to do something drastic, like excommunicate you or strap you to a rack and force you to rethink the error of your ways,” Jeff concluded irreverently.

“Getting back to Darby’s obsession with the rapture, in Karen Armstrong’s book The Battle for God, which documents the rise of fundamentalism in all three monotheistic faiths, she described Darby and his sadistic doctrine of premillennialism as ‘a fantasy of revenge: the elect imagined themselves gazing down upon the sufferings of those who had jeered at their beliefs, ignored, ridiculed, and marginalized their faith, and now, too late, realized their error. . . . Like many concrete depictions of mythical events, the scene looks a little absurd, but the reality it purports to present is cruel, divisive and tragic.’ What a darling bunch of loving people, these devotees of Darby’s divine drivel. These zealots like to ignore the Christian teachings of your loving Jesus to turn the other cheek. I guess it is so much more rewarding to adopt superior attitudes and envision fiery tales of retribution directed at the unbelievers—just like Luke and Tommy’s petty visions.

Manifest Insanity @ Amazon
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Diogenes of Mayberry's post
09-09-2013, 04:38 AM

Dispensationamilleniamilleniarminiannihilationism... Dammit these doctrines still seem to be growing and flourishing after 2,000 years. And then they tell us about how they know the "truth," yet they can't even agree on core beliefs between themselves.

Sad.
Quote this message in a reply
09-09-2013, 02:22 PM
IMO, the three most important Bible doctrines, in order:

1. How is someone saved from Hell and destined for Heaven?

2. Can someone who is saved from Hell lose their salvation after trusting in Christ?

3. End times prophecy if we are living in the end times! The hooplah about Antichrist centers on speculation as to whether he has been born (unto us, a dark child has been given) since Israel is a Jewish nation in partial fulfillment of Ezekiel 37, and since Jesus said the Jewish people will be in Israel when He returns (in NT eschaton scriptures).
Find all posts by this user
09-09-2013, 02:59 PM
(09-09-2013 02:22 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  IMO, the three most important Bible doctrines, in order:

1. How is someone saved from Hell and destined for Heaven?

2. Can someone who is saved from Hell lose their salvation after trusting in Christ?

3. End times prophecy if we are living in the end times! The hooplah about Antichrist centers on speculation as to whether he has been born (unto us, a dark child has been given) since Israel is a Jewish nation in partial fulfillment of Ezekiel 37, and since Jesus said the Jewish people will be in Israel when He returns (in NT eschaton scriptures).

Interesting.
Seeing as how hell didn't even exist in the Bible.
(And salvation isn't what Jebus preached).
Weeping

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
09-09-2013, 03:07 PM

(09-09-2013 02:22 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  [...] Jesus said the Jewish people will be in Israel when He returns (in NT eschaton scriptures).

Jesus said he would return within the lifetimes of his followers. Not +/- 2,000 years.
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Philosoraptor's post
09-09-2013, 09:52 PM
From my limited biblical knowledge I thought the anti-christ was not a person, but a group of people. In other words, all non-Christians. I dunno, maybe some people who know more than me about the bible can tell me why I'm wrong?

09-09-2013, 10:07 PM
(09-09-2013 09:52 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  From my limited biblical knowledge I thought the anti-christ was not a person, but a group of people. In other words, all non-Christians. I dunno, maybe some people who know more than me about the bible can tell me why I'm wrong?

You're right,The actual term "Antichrist" is only used to refer to people who are against, or try to take the place of, Christ, but PMD Christians have created this composite character pasted together out of several random passages throughout the entire Bible, and they call him the Antichrist.

The Bulk of his character comes from Revelation, from an evil King called the Beast, maybe I should just call him that, it might cause less confusion.

I Will have My revenge on AlternateHistory.com, in this life or the next Evil_monster

~WrappedInShadows (AKA Me)
09-09-2013, 10:08 PM
I think that for a lot of Christians, the doctrine of the end times makes their faith 'real' to them. They always have something to speculate about within their circles about the Anti Christ since their book is so vague you can make thousands of world events fit into the 'prophecies' given in revelation. "OH LOOK SO AND SO IS TRYING TO HURT ISRAEL" or 'LOOK THIS POLITICAL FIGURE IS PROBABLY THE ANTICHRIST" even though next week they'll change their mind.

It's also so fucking sadistic that they're so eager to see the world end and the majority of people on the planet be banished to hell.
09-09-2013, 10:40 PM
(09-09-2013 10:07 PM)TheLastEnemy Wrote:  
(09-09-2013 09:52 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  From my limited biblical knowledge I thought the anti-christ was not a person, but a group of people. In other words, all non-Christians. I dunno, maybe some people who know more than me about the bible can tell me why I'm wrong?

You're right,The actual term "Antichrist" is only used to refer to people who are against, or try to take the place of, Christ, but PMD Christians have created this composite character pasted together out of several random passages throughout the entire Bible, and they call him the Antichrist.

The Bulk of his character comes from Revelation, from an evil King called the Beast, maybe I should just call him that, it might cause less confusion.

Pew! Pew! Pew! I got a biblical fact correct without research! Tongue

[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post
10-09-2013, 12:36 PM
Things my rature-end-of-the-world friend post on her forum groups...

Cut & Pasted:

"Re: The Back Peddling on the Syrian Crisis
1.) The fact that things got stalled does NOT mean things are slowing down. Jesus said "wars and RUMORS of wars" we are STILL in that position, we have NOT back peddeled Smile

2.) I heard rumor that Saudi Arabia has offered Russia a hand in the global oil trade and rights to control their own gas lines IF they back away from Assad. However, this is from people who are saying that this whole Syrian uprising has to do with Syria's refusal to allow other countries to build a pipe line through Syria. How much of this is true, I don't know. My dad worked in the ME on oil companies in a very high up rank and he believes this information to be true based on his experiences in the ME. So, could this be an attempt to say "hey, we tried to back you, you didn't do what we asked so we are done with you, good luck!" in the event that Assad does not follow through to the T?

3.) Isaiah 17 to me kinda says that the nations will roar against Syria/Israel but appears that God may rebuke them BEFORE they attack and then after that there is a night of terror (by who though?) and then all is destroyed by morning. Since I interpret it this way, I have not believed that the US would do anything at all this whole time, so I am NOT surprised by the "back peddling."

4.) The rapture is to take place while people are marrying, giving in marriage, eating and drinking, etc. If the US attacked Syria and they/their neighbors attacked Israel and then Israel destroyed Syria, how can we all be living like in the days of Noah?! All this panic of WWIII needs to go away so that the scoffers can make fun of us and say "haha and you thought your savior was going to come for you? Where is he?" and then they can get back to their lives and when all seems normal again...BAM! God acts and nobody will second guess it. I'm sticking to something natural, like a massive earthquake/volcanic eruption/tsunami/meteor/etc. I think God's sudden destruction will obviously come from him and not from man so I'm not looking for WWIII to break out first, I'm looking for a calmness to come, peace talks to resume, and life to get back to normal. This is when I think it will happen, so no, this should not be a disappointment, but a sign of how much closer we are getting.

HEADS UP PEEPS!!
Re: Dis - appointed.....
I'm so sorry that you are disappointed TR, and to all of you others. I knew this was going to happen, and I know how bad it feels b/c I was extremely disappointed last Spring when the rapture didn't happen (b/c I knew that meant at least one more year of waiting).

I will not get my hopes up of a rapture until our anniversary comes near. Passover is the day Jesus paid the dowry, and to me it would be fitting to make the Jews jealous by taking us on the day they are waiting for their Messiah.

However, another way that I've been thinking could make the Jews jealous is if we are raptured (and it is made clear to the world how we disappeared) is to take us on a non-feast day. Since the Jews believe that God only acts on His feast days, this may be a shocker to them to see God act on a non-feast day and may make the Jews jealous.

Either way, if the start of WWIII starts this week, I don't know how we can make it to Spring (even though things have been unfolding very slowly and despite the fact that I believe we will see some horrible things before going home).

I do not think we will make it past Spring though, I just can't imagine how, unless everything to just stops in its place and nothing else happens. Which could happen, afterall, look at North Korea, they had their missiles all ready to go and then quietly cowered down. So anything is fair game right now. Keep your heads up folks, God has a purpose for us and we are NOT done with our job yet!

Re: Dis - appointed.....
Shiloh said: I wonder if this mystery (as to the day of our departure) is to throw satan off guard.

Shiloh, I just had a picture in my head. Everytime a "high watch" date comes up it seems like things in the world get turned up to a boil and then when the date passes, things calm down (like they are right now with Syria). Could this be Satan trying to amp things up so that if the rapture happens on that day he can cause some type of catastrophe to take people's attention off of all the missing people?

If so, then I can see why it would be a moment we last expect, and an even better argument for a non-feast day. So that God can be like, "nope Satan, you aren't going to be able to explain this one away very easily!""