"Why Are You Atheists So In Favor Of Legalizing Gay Marriage?"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-01-2014, 05:30 PM
"Why Are You Atheists So In Favor Of Legalizing Gay Marriage?"
I was asked this question yesterday by a religious co-worker. She said "What does sexuality have anything to do with atheism? Shouldn't you be more concerned about atheism than about legalizing gay marriage?" I said that I feel that the biggest factors are from atheists being broken away from religious rules, and a mutual understanding of what it's like to be shunned for not sharing the beliefs of others.

By breaking away from religion, atheists are no longer saying that what is right and what is wrong is determined by the church, or holy books that contain ridiculous amounts of false information and contradictions. We're looking at a bigger picture. We're saying we don't give a damn what religion says - we can't go denying rights that other people have simply because their lifestyle doesn't agree with ours. Religious people are doing the same thing to us that they are doing to gays. They are saying that forcing their religious beliefs on us is right, and that denying gays their rights is right because anything that clashes with their beliefs is wrong.

Atheists know what it's like to be shunned for what they are. Atheists are arguably more hated in religious societies than gays. For a long time most gays were "closet homosexuals". There are also a lot of "closet atheists". I live in the U.S. and I have rarely come across people that are open atheists here, though when I do, I often hear them say "I was a closet atheist for a long time, but was afraid of the reaction I would get from friends and family."

I have noticed in my country that although gays still suffer hatred and discrimination, they have become far more accepted in society than they were in the past. Acceptance of atheism, however, is growing at a much smaller rate. Atheism tends to draw even more hate, because atheists are defying the very existence of a god. In the minds of many people, that's far worse than "living in sin". You're actually saying that their god doesn't exist! You're saying that what they claim as their source of morality is bullshit! It is the most unforgivable of sins. I'd be interested to hear what gays who are also atheists and came from religious families have to say as far as what caused a harsher reaction from their families.

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-01-2014, 05:42 PM
RE: "Why Are You Atheists So In Favor Of Legalizing Gay Marriage?"
It has nothing to do with atheism per se , it's just that a lot of atheists are also humanists.
Of course , the fact that atheists don't see homosexuality as a sin also helps.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
[+] 11 users Like Slowminded's post
11-01-2014, 05:43 PM
(11-01-2014 05:30 PM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  I was asked this question yesterday by a religious co-worker. She said "What does sexuality have anything to do with atheism? Shouldn't you be more concerned about atheism than about legalizing gay marriage?" I said that I feel that the biggest factors are from atheists being broken away from religious rules, and a mutual understanding of what it's like to be shunned for not sharing the beliefs of others.

By breaking away from religion, atheists are no longer saying that what is right and what is wrong is determined by the church, or holy books that contain ridiculous amounts of false information and contradictions. We're looking at a bigger picture. We're saying we don't give a damn what religion says - we can't go denying rights that other people have simply because their lifestyle doesn't agree with ours. Religious people are doing the same thing to us that they are doing to gays. They are saying that forcing their religious beliefs on us is right, and that denying gays their rights is right because anything that clashes with their beliefs is wrong.

Atheists know what it's like to be shunned for what they are. Atheists are arguably more hated in religious societies than gays. For a long time most gays were "closet homosexuals". There are also a lot of "closet atheists". I live in the U.S. and I have rarely come across people that are open atheists here, though when I do, I often hear them say "I was a closet atheist for a long time, but was afraid of the reaction I would get from friends and family."

I have noticed in my country that although gays still suffer hatred and discrimination, they have become far more accepted in society than they were in the past. Acceptance of atheism, however, is growing at a much smaller rate. Atheism tends to draw even more hate, because atheists are defying the very existence of a god. In the minds of many people, that's far worse than "living in sin". You're actually saying that their god doesn't exist! You're saying that what they claim as their source of morality is bullshit! It is the most unforgivable of sins. I'd be interested to hear what gays who are also atheists and came from religious families have to say as far as what caused a harsher reaction from their families.

I would counter with "Why are you Christians always worried about what other people are doing?" I support marriage equality because I believe in a secular state with equal protection under the law. The main opponents of equality have been the fascist theocrats that forget the 1st amendment applies equally across the board and that christianity is not exempt from it.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 8 users Like Revenant77x's post
11-01-2014, 05:50 PM
There are many religious movement and people who want to legalise and have legalised gay marriege.

Such as Archbishop Desmond Tutu in South Africa.

It doesnt really have that much to do with may atheism, I simply want it legalised because I am a decent human being.

[Image: RPYH95t.png]
[+] 5 users Like The Germans are coming's post
11-01-2014, 05:53 PM
(11-01-2014 05:42 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  It has nothing to do with atheism per se , it's just that a lot of atheists are also humanists.

Yes, that is exactly what I was trying to explain to her. She seemed to have this idea that atheists and homosexuals are conspiring together in some evil plot to destroy religious people.

11-01-2014, 05:59 PM
(11-01-2014 05:53 PM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  
(11-01-2014 05:42 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  It has nothing to do with atheism per se , it's just that a lot of atheists are also humanists.

Yes, that is exactly what I was trying to explain to her. She seemed to have this idea that atheists and homosexuals are conspiring together in some evil plot to destroy religious people.
Shocking
It's gonna be hard to reason with people who hold that kind of opinions.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
11-01-2014, 05:59 PM
I look at it this way ---
there's really no connection between atheism and gay support. It's more a matter that atheists aren't into controlling other people and they Do tend to support freedoms moreso than religious folk. Since atheists are not constrained by narrow thinking, belittling of others and the control of how people live their lives - they're more available to support choice = many different kinds of choices.

Also, atheism not wishing to be controlled themselves coupled with rational thinking understand that to act controlling while seeking freedoms themselves would be hypocritical.

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
11-01-2014, 06:09 PM (This post was last modified: 11-01-2014 08:29 PM by WindyCityJazz.)
(11-01-2014 05:59 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  I look at it this way ---
there's really no connection between atheism and gay support. It's more a matter that atheists aren't into controlling other people and they Do tend to support freedoms moreso than religious folk. Since atheists are not constrained by narrow thinking, belittling of others and the control of how people live their lives - they're more available to support choice = many different kinds of choices.

Also, atheism not wishing to be controlled themselves coupled with rational thinking understand that to act controlling while seeking freedoms themselves would be hypocritical.

Yeah, but trying to get people like her to realize the hypocrisy of the situation seems like a lost cause. They've been indoctrinated to believe that what their religion says is right and anything that goes against it is wrong, and that's all there is to it.

I tried to explain to her exactly what you said in your last paragraph, but it was of no use. She had this ridiculous idea that atheists and gays were on some secret team to wage war against Christians. She's a classic example of how humans fear what they don't understand.

11-01-2014, 06:13 PM
Personally, I favor gay marriage because it drives religious asswipes up the wall.

Otherwise, it is no business of mine.....or theirs!

[Image: reality.jpg?imgmax=800]
[+] 3 users Like Minimalist's post
11-01-2014, 06:18 PM
(11-01-2014 05:30 PM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  I was asked this question yesterday by a religious co-worker. She said "What does sexuality have anything to do with atheism? Shouldn't you be more concerned about atheism than about legalizing gay marriage?" I said that I feel that the biggest factors are from atheists being broken away from religious rules, and a mutual understanding of what it's like to be shunned for not sharing the beliefs of others.

Mmh. In my country the official Church of Sweden happily marry gays.

So, your co-worker is the one that has issues with sexual orientation. And what does it mean "atheists should be concerned with atheism"? Lol.

I propose to ask him why he is so concerned with other people's sexual orientation instead of taking care of his obvious epistemological malfunctions.

Ciao

- viole
[+] 2 users Like viole's post