"Why Are You Atheists So In Favor Of Legalizing Gay Marriage?"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-01-2014, 03:17 PM
RE: "Why Are You Atheists So In Favor Of Legalizing Gay Marriage?"
(12-01-2014 02:03 PM)Alla Wrote:  what do you think about plural marriage? can we legalize it so Mormons can practice it again? or Muslims?

I agree with Foxen. So long as it is between two consenting adults, then I don't give a shit. The only time I have a problem is when a situation involves people being forced to do something against their will, or being denied their civil rights. Other than that, do whatever the hell you want because it's no skin off my back, just as it's no skin off the back of Christians if two gay people end up getting married. It has no effect on the personal lives of you or any other religious person that two gay people got married. Religious groups need to stop giving a shit about what everybody else is doing with their lives and just worry about their own damn selves. They want to push their beliefs on everybody else in society, but if some other group tried to do that shit to them they'd scream bloody murder.

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-01-2014, 04:18 PM
(12-01-2014 02:03 PM)Alla Wrote:  
(11-01-2014 05:30 PM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  I was asked this question yesterday by a religious co-worker. She said "What does sexuality have anything to do with atheism? Shouldn't you be more concerned about atheism than about legalizing gay marriage?" I said that I feel that the biggest factors are from atheists being broken away from religious rules, and a mutual understanding of what it's like to be shunned for not sharing the beliefs of others.

By breaking away from religion, atheists are no longer saying that what is right and what is wrong is determined by the church, or holy books that contain ridiculous amounts of false information and contradictions. We're looking at a bigger picture. We're saying we don't give a damn what religion says - we can't go denying rights that other people have simply because their lifestyle doesn't agree with ours. Religious people are doing the same thing to us that they are doing to gays. They are saying that forcing their religious beliefs on us is right, and that denying gays their rights is right because anything that clashes with their beliefs is wrong.

Atheists know what it's like to be shunned for what they are. Atheists are arguably more hated in religious societies than gays. For a long time most gays were "closet homosexuals". There are also a lot of "closet atheists". I live in the U.S. and I have rarely come across people that are open atheists here, though when I do, I often hear them say "I was a closet atheist for a long time, but was afraid of the reaction I would get from friends and family."

I have noticed in my country that although gays still suffer hatred and discrimination, they have become far more accepted in society than they were in the past. Acceptance of atheism, however, is growing at a much smaller rate. Atheism tends to draw even more hate, because atheists are defying the very existence of a god. In the minds of many people, that's far worse than "living in sin". You're actually saying that their god doesn't exist! You're saying that what they claim as their source of morality is bullshit! It is the most unforgivable of sins. I'd be interested to hear what gays who are also atheists and came from religious families have to say as far as what caused a harsher reaction from their families.

what do you think about plural marriage? can we legalize it so Mormons can practice it again? or Muslims?

Mormons can practice it now.
I'm in favor of people being able to marry their cats and dogs.
I also in favor of "Biblical" marriage. I want to be able to screw my slaves.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
12-01-2014, 04:28 PM
I think poly-amoric relationships are fine just as long as every party has equal say in the matter.

However, when it comes to marriage, I think that polygamy introduces a level of legal complexity that is pretty difficult to handle.

What happens if there is a child born. Who's responsible for child support. What if the family splits up… et cetera…. You would relatively
fast end up in incredibly complex and unmanageable situation.

Apart from that - knock yourself out.
12-01-2014, 05:48 PM
(12-01-2014 02:31 PM)truthBtold Wrote:  CHRISTIANS If you're going to ignore the section of Leviticus that bans about tattoos, pork, shellfish, round haircuts, polyester and football(pig skin), how can you possibly turn around and quote Leviticus 18:22 ("You shall not lie with a male as one lies with a female; it is an abomination.") as irrefutable law? No cherry picking.. ALL OR NOTHING. .
All those things were given to ancient Israel for different reasons and not important any more.
Homosexual married couples can not keep God's law - multiply and replenish. This law is very, very important.

English is not my native language.
that awkward moment between the Premortal Existence and your Resurrection
12-01-2014, 05:55 PM
(12-01-2014 05:48 PM)Alla Wrote:  This law is very, very important.

Not when the world is currently overpopulated. That primitive law was for when one family incestually populated their small area of the world.

The heteros need to stop treating vaginas like clown cars.

Also, it is not as though homosexuality is going to become the majority. Studies show that homosexuality has remained steadily around ten percent of the population.
12-01-2014, 05:57 PM
(12-01-2014 05:48 PM)Alla Wrote:  
(12-01-2014 02:31 PM)truthBtold Wrote:  CHRISTIANS If you're going to ignore the section of Leviticus that bans about tattoos, pork, shellfish, round haircuts, polyester and football(pig skin), how can you possibly turn around and quote Leviticus 18:22 ("You shall not lie with a male as one lies with a female; it is an abomination.") as irrefutable law? No cherry picking.. ALL OR NOTHING. .
All those things were given to ancient Israel for different reasons and not important any more.
Homosexual married couples can not keep God's law - multiply and replenish. This law is very, very important.

OK, Alla - hold the fuckin' crazy bus a moment.

The 'be fruitful and multiply' verse is Genesis 1:28
"And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth."

It's the Old Testament and was given to ancient Israel for different reasons and not important any more.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
12-01-2014, 06:17 PM
(12-01-2014 05:57 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(12-01-2014 05:48 PM)Alla Wrote:  All those things were given to ancient Israel for different reasons and not important any more.

OK, Alla - hold the fuckin' crazy bus a moment.

"And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth."

It's the Old Testament and was given to ancient Israel for different reasons and not important any more.
It was not given to ancient Israel. Jacob(Israel) was not born yet, so his house (house of Israel) didn't exist on earth yet.
Higher laws were given to Adam and Eve. These are higher laws of the Gospel. Low laws were given to ancient Israel after they made golden calf. They were not ready for high laws of the Gospel.
High laws of the Gospel are eternal. Low laws are temporary and temporal.
Multiply and replenish is forever even after this life. God Heavenly Father has His children. Gods also multiply and replenish.

English is not my native language.
that awkward moment between the Premortal Existence and your Resurrection
12-01-2014, 06:35 PM
(12-01-2014 05:48 PM)Alla Wrote:  Homosexual married couples can not keep God's law - multiply and replenish. This law is very, very important.

This law is very, very bad. Thousands of children starve to death because they are born into abject poverty across the world. Thousands of children across the world are born to people who don't want them and don't like them and suffer. The world is going to procreate itself out of existence sometime soon.

Homosexual married couples who adopt children do those kids and the world a huge favor. It's the answer to a lot of what plagues us these days.

Even if you ignore all human factors and just look at from a practical viewpoint, homosexual married couples are good for everyone.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
12-01-2014, 07:56 PM
(12-01-2014 05:48 PM)Alla Wrote:  

GIVEN? Sorry, you haven't shown that there was anything to "give" them a law.

Quote: Homosexual married couples can not keep God's law

What's a god? You would have to show that there was such a thing (as well as define it) before you could assert that such a thing could issue "laws". You have not done so.

Quote: - multiply and replenish. This law is very, very important.

Yes, because it keeps the ignorant and superstitious masses in squalor with too many mouths to feed. Much easier to control them that way.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
12-01-2014, 08:07 PM
(12-01-2014 06:17 PM)Alla Wrote:  
(12-01-2014 05:57 PM)Chas Wrote:  OK, Alla - hold the fuckin' crazy bus a moment.

It was not given to ancient Israel. Jacob(Israel) was not born yet, so his house (house of Israel) didn't exist on earth yet.
Higher laws were given to Adam and Eve. These are higher laws of the Gospel. Low laws were given to ancient Israel after they made golden calf. They were not ready for high laws of the Gospel.
High laws of the Gospel are eternal. Low laws are temporary and temporal.
Multiply and replenish is forever even after this life. God Heavenly Father has His children. Gods also multiply and replenish.

You have not shown any of the above to be anything more than a fairy tale. You need to back up and start over from Zero.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop