Why Assisted suicide should not be legalized

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-02-2013, 07:02 PM
RE: Why Assisted suicide should not be legalized
(05-02-2013 06:04 PM)Scientia Wrote:  I'm glad you acknowledge that this rant is off topic.
It was you who insisted that we live in a civilized world. Now you call evidence to the contrary a rant? Funny logic, to say the least! No
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-02-2013, 07:05 PM
(05-02-2013 07:10 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(05-02-2013 05:04 AM)Scientia Wrote:  Our laws governing who is sane and who isn't. Suicide is not a sane act, if so, can you think of anything to end your life over right at this moment? I found a blog from an average Joe talking about what I've said.

http://www.cartoonbarry.com/2009/11/do_s...icide.html

Sane people don't commit suicide.
This is precisely where you are wrong. The sanest choice in a given situation may in fact be suicide.

I have already stated elsewhere that if my life becomes unbearable due to the effects of a terminal disease, I will end my life.

By your unsupported opinion, I am insane.

If you have the right to take your own life, you certainly then have the right to sell your body parts or rent them.
....to the highest bidder.

Just think what you could do with someone who didnt care about their own life, if you had enough bribery money. Idea
05-02-2013, 07:23 PM
You don't know that I abide by the laws in the country I live in. And frankly, that's entirely irrelevant. You opened a philosophical discussion about assisted suicide and asked for opinions. Mine is that you have to establish your right to decide for others how they dispose of their property before you can discuss how you will allow them to dispose of their property.

In philosophy, like any other science, you reason from first principles or your thesis starts out false. If you prefer to reason from false principles, you should post in the politics section.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes bbeljefe's post
06-02-2013, 07:51 PM
(05-02-2013 06:13 PM)Scientia Wrote:  
(05-02-2013 03:37 PM)Chas Wrote:  You completely miss the point.

The suicide of an otherwise healthy 35 or 45 year-old has nothing to do with this issue.

The issue is about someone suffering from a terminal illness and subsequent loss of quality of life.

I am legally sane and competent, capable of stating my intentions for my life should this situation arise. I should have the legal right to have those sane and rational intentions honored.

------
And if the expression you were looking for was "The exception proves the rule" the meaning of 'proves' in that statement is 'tests', not 'confirms'.
I know, many of you are the ones that are going off in all of these other tangents. The title of the thread is:Why Assisted suicide should not be legalized. This should frame the group of people who I'm talking about. It's about the people who want to die, due to suffering that want to use this as a means to end that suffering. I could care less about all of these other subjects that have nothing to do with this one simple singular argument.
You steered the thread off topic on your own will and seem to miss the clear point Chas made against your comments on topic. You said, "Sane people don't commit suicide." An example of the case in using Assisted suicide via a sane person was made. That's not an "exception to the rule" that's proving your generalization to be flawed and in every essence, one of the only points that matters in judging if assisted suicide should be allowed.

"Love is hot, Truth is molten!"
06-02-2013, 09:27 PM
freedom is not choosing for others it is choosing for yourself.
[+] 3 users Like Drunkin Druid's post
06-02-2013, 09:32 PM
↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑

What he said.

FTW!
07-02-2013, 03:20 AM (This post was last modified: 07-02-2013 03:23 AM by Scientia.)
(05-02-2013 07:23 PM)bbeljefe Wrote:  In philosophy, like any other science, you reason from first principles or your thesis starts out false. If you prefer to reason from false principles, you should post in the politics section.
Quote:You don't know that I abide by the laws in the country I live in. And frankly, that's entirely irrelevant.
So why did you bring the subject up?

Quote:You opened a philosophical discussion about assisted suicide and asked for opinions. Mine is that you have to establish your right to decide for others how they dispose of their property before you can discuss how you will allow them to dispose of their property.
No I don't because I'm not the law, and we have laws that deal with this. This question is irrelevant since it should be asked of someone of authority. Also, it's only my opinion. Yes, this is a debate on assisted suicide, and people like you want to talk about everything but that. For example asking me what rights do I have, which has nothing to do with the topic.

So lets see if we can get this back on track.

It is contrary to the vocation of medicine to intentionally hasten or cause death. In all cases (medical or non-medical), I feel taking human life should be a last resort, because until our society has given appropriate attention to pain control, hospice care, and advance directive, we will not have met the criteria of last resort with respect to legalized euthanasia.

The AMA have similar views:

Quote:It is understandable, though tragic, that some patients in extreme duress--such as those suffering from a terminal, painful, debilitating illness--may come to decide that death is preferable to life. However, permitting physicians to engage in euthanasia would ultimately cause more harm than good. Euthanasia is fundamentally incompatible with the physician’s role as healer, would be difficult or impossible to control, and would pose serious societal risks. The involvement of physicians in euthanasia heightens the significance of its ethical prohibition. The physician who performs euthanasia assumes unique responsibility for the act of ending the patient’s life. Euthanasia could also readily be extended to incompetent patients and
other vulnerable populations.

http://www.ama-assn.org/ama/pub/phys...pinion221.page

Now, All you have to do is address this opinion, and not ask me what rights I have.

Science investigates, religion interprets.

I got my first like....[Image: weeping.gif] Thank you!
07-02-2013, 03:25 AM
(06-02-2013 09:32 PM)bbeljefe Wrote:  ↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑

What he said.

FTW!
The thing about what he said, is that he nor you said anything of value.

FTW!!!!!

Science investigates, religion interprets.

I got my first like....[Image: weeping.gif] Thank you!
07-02-2013, 04:45 AM
This thread makes me want to off myself. Dodgy

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
07-02-2013, 04:50 AM
(07-02-2013 04:45 AM)Misanthropik Wrote:  This thread makes me want to off myself.
Well, what doesn't? [Image: suicide_fool-edit.gif]

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."