Why Assisted suicide should not be legalized

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-02-2013, 12:39 PM
RE: Why Assisted suicide should not be legalized
(07-02-2013 06:34 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(07-02-2013 06:17 PM)Scientia Wrote:  It's irrelevant, and you are mixing apples and oranges. But Ill show you where your logic is flawed.

Take the Belt Way sniper for example, he clearly did it, admitted it, and was found guilty. He died by state law. He was aware of what he was doing, he was able to speak for himself. Now take a infant, that can't speak for themselves, yet another person is making a decision to end their life for them. Infants with disabilities grow up to be
children, and then adults with disabilities. As an adult, this same person will likely have a much different view of his quality of life than his parent might have had based on the doctor's predictions at the time of birth.

Has nothing to do with the topic.

I gave you a situation where one side don't have any say at all, based on this, should their life be taken based on someone else opinion?

What if it takes a person years to die from an illness, should they still be pumped with morphine until they die?

You keep changing the playing field. You asked about assisted suicide, then you're on about euthenasia, mental illness, suicide in general.

Would you like to get back to your original question or have you seen that you don't have a rational position there?
Chaz, do me a favor and look up the word euthanasia, and stop relying on word of mouth, or what you think it should mean.

Thank you.

Science investigates, religion interprets.

I got my first like....[Image: weeping.gif] Thank you!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-02-2013, 12:48 PM
(08-02-2013 12:39 PM)Scientia Wrote:  
(07-02-2013 06:34 PM)Chas Wrote:  You keep changing the playing field. You asked about assisted suicide, then you're on about euthenasia, mental illness, suicide in general.

Would you like to get back to your original question or have you seen that you don't have a rational position there?
Chaz, do me a favor and look up the word euthanasia, and stop relying on word of mouth, or what you think it should mean.

Thank you.

Euthanasia encompasses more than assisted suicide. It also include killing the unwilling.

My point stands.

You're welcome.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
08-02-2013, 12:55 PM
Holy crap, this thread is still alive?

It's funny how an issue that is so simple and obvious can be argued about so long.

I would like to summarize here my own personal opinion (shared by many, it appears):

Not legalizing assisted suicide can be described as:

- Stupid
- Cruel
- Cowardly
- Hypocritical
- Inconsistent
- Uncivilized
- Barbaric
- Shortsighted
- Destined to fail

Did I miss anything?

I am sure I did.

If only the well-intentioned opponents of legal-assisted-suicide could get their heads out of their convoluted arguments, legalese hair-splitting and peek outside their box to the rest of the world -- this issue could be very quickly resolved.

I am old and I will face this question sooner rather than later -- I believe I have the right to the same compassion that we offer to our pets.

If, at the time, someone will tell me that I have to suffer the agony and humiliation of the decline that usually leads to death, I will personally hit him on the head with a two-by-four, before leaving to Switzerland for a civilized and dignified end.

As I said, this is my own personal opinion and I wanted it on record.
[+] 3 users Like Zat's post
08-02-2013, 02:39 PM
(08-02-2013 12:48 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(08-02-2013 12:39 PM)Scientia Wrote:  Chaz, do me a favor and look up the word euthanasia, and stop relying on word of mouth, or what you think it should mean.

Thank you.

Euthanasia encompasses more than assisted suicide. It also include killing the unwilling.

My point stands.

You're welcome.
So it does pertain to assisted suicide, which is what this thread is about. Now if this is the case, what is the problem?

08-02-2013, 02:42 PM
(08-02-2013 12:55 PM)Zat Wrote:  Holy crap, this thread is still alive?

It's funny how an issue that is so simple and obvious can be argued about so long.

I would like to summarize here my own personal opinion (shared by many, it appears):

- Stupid
- Cruel
- Cowardly
- Hypocritical
- Inconsistent
- Uncivilized
- Barbaric
- Shortsighted
- Destined to fail

Did I miss anything?

I am sure I did.

If only the well-intentioned opponents of legal-assisted-suicide could get their heads out of their convoluted arguments, legalese hair-splitting and peek outside their box to the rest of the world -- this issue could be very quickly resolved.

I am old and I will face this question sooner rather than later -- I believe I have the right to the same compassion that we offer to our pets.

If, at the time, someone will tell me that I have to suffer the agony and humiliation of the decline that usually leads to death, I will personally hit him on the head with a two-by-four, before leaving to Switzerland for a civilized and dignified end.

Out of all of that, it still is not legal. I guess it's not so simple. But it's time for this thread to die.

08-02-2013, 02:47 PM
The Death with Dignity Act is alive and well in Washington and Oregon and perhaps in other states.
People facing any lethal disease can go and get some pills from their doctors and use them for their own exit as and when they wish.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
08-02-2013, 02:48 PM
"Out of all of that, it still is not legal. I guess it's not so simple. But it's time for this thread to die"

What gives you the right to decide whether a thread should live or die?
08-02-2013, 02:48 PM
(08-02-2013 02:42 PM)Scientia Wrote:  But it's time for this thread to die.
Die, sucker, DIE!!! Sadcryface2

or, perhaps, do you need assistance? Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes Zat's post
08-02-2013, 04:22 PM
(08-02-2013 02:39 PM)Scientia Wrote:  
(08-02-2013 12:48 PM)Chas Wrote:  Euthanasia encompasses more than assisted suicide. It also include killing the unwilling.

My point stands.

You're welcome.
So it does pertain to assisted suicide, which is what this thread is about. Now if this is the case, what is the problem?

Because it goes beyond assisted suicide, it does not belong here. It includes murder.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
08-02-2013, 05:08 PM (This post was last modified: 08-02-2013 05:16 PM by ClydeLee.)
Re: RE: Why Assisted suicide should not be legalized
(08-02-2013 02:42 PM)Scientia Wrote:  
(08-02-2013 12:55 PM)Zat Wrote:  Holy crap, this thread is still alive?

- Stupid
- Cruel
- Cowardly
- Hypocritical
- Inconsistent
- Uncivilized
- Barbaric
- Shortsighted
- Destined to fail

Did I miss anything?

I am sure I did.

Out of all of that, it still is not legal. I guess it's not so simple. But it's time for this thread to die.

Lol, do you actually think there is any connection of something being simple and smart to bring legal? Especially in the US.

If that's the case, your issue is much deeper.

Back in question, why should someone who is ill and wants to be out of suffering, after passing psychological tests to show sanity, not be able to go through with assisted suicide?

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson