Why Atheists Have Higher IQs - Nigel Barber

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-04-2011, 08:50 AM

Lightbulb Why Atheists Have Higher IQs - Nigel Barber
Atheists score higher on IQ tests than religious people according to some research. Does this mean that people accept religious beliefs because they are dimwitted? Not necessarily.

Atheists are probably more intelligent than religious people because they benefit from many social conditions that happen to be correlated with loss of religious belief. When one looks at this phenomenon from the point of view of comparisons between countries, it is not hard to figure out possible reasons that more intelligent countries have more atheists and that more intelligent states in the U.S. also have more nonbelievers. Here are some. Highly religious countries:

* Are poorer.
* Are less urbanized.
* Have lower levels of education.
* Have less exposure to electronic media that increase intelligence.
* Experience a heavier load of infectious diseases that impair brain function.
* Suffer more from low birth weights.
* Have worse child nutrition.
* Do a poor job of controlling environmental pollutants such as lead that reduce IQ.
(Full Article)
Quote this message in a reply
27-04-2011, 09:40 AM
RE: Why Atheists Have Higher IQs - Nigel Barber
I agree with this to a certain extent simply because the Islam states are pretty third world but the United States is still a world power and was a Super power in the middle and end of the 20th century (If that information is wrong please correct me) and it's citizens are pretty damn religious which can be seen everywhere even on this forum. In the times of WW2 and forward, Christianity was I think more popular and accepted almost by everyone in the US but now that the generation of youth is totally different and has started thinking for themselves the country is in so much debt, a police state, and locked down with laws out the yin yang it seems that our country is simply crumbling as we speak. I'm not real sure what we are going to do about it but I hope we can come up with something fast. I'm not trying to hijack the topic or anything but it just goes together in my opinion. Now that our youth is becoming more educated the chances of them even getting a successful job are slim to none. Not everyone wants to join the military, police department, or work in a hospital.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-04-2011, 11:52 PM
There was an article I read that infers that areas with high rates of believers (bible belts) also have high amounts of chlorine in the drinking water. I don't know if this is significant or not, but it may have something to do with affecting behavior.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
28-04-2011, 02:25 AM
I think that in america specifically, atheists are more well versed in religious doctrine because many thought about it deeply and questioned it to end up leaving the faith.
The fifth point was disease, you don't necessarily have to say that disease impairs brain function, but that it drags the nation down, or it may be the cause of other factors that do that, which is what I'm inclined to think.

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo

"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." - Voltaire
28-04-2011, 03:33 AM
GK, This kindof addresses the numbers of atheists in various countries but doesn't answer why atheists on average are statistically more intelligent than the religious population. Thats a really tough question.
On the intelligence scale it's in extremes. The extreme fundamentalists rate lower on average than religious moderates. The religious population in places like Australia/US tend to be more moderate compared with the middle east.

Maybe part of it is to do with the mindset of an atheist. Skepticism requires more mental resources than just believing some crap without applying critical thinking.

I looked at a study somewhere showing that countries like US, Australia etc.. currently have the highest rates of people turning away from religion.
It's also starting to happen in the middle east. I've noticed this website getting hits from Saudi Arabia and Afghanistan.
28-04-2011, 03:56 AM
Naah, atheists just sold their souls to the devil for a higher IQ. Wink

Martin Luther : "Reason must be deluded, blinded, and destroyed. Faith must trample underfoot all reason, sense, and understanding, and whatever it sees must be put out of sight and ... know nothing but the word of God."

"Infinitus est numerus stultorum." (The number of fools is infinite)
29-04-2011, 03:58 PM
Because the question is backwards. ?

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.