Why Atheists are still a minority

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-11-2011, 09:18 PM
RE: Why Atheists are still a minority
(03-11-2011 01:29 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  I don't consider that "one is born atheist" (and there has been research to indicate the opposite is more likely the case)...

I'm intrigued by how researchers managed to find evidence that human infants who had yet to realize the hand in front of their face was part of their own body were none-the-less able to conceptualize devine entities.

Seriously though I'm wondering if what you're referring to here is the tendency for children to attribute agency to physical phenomena which some have described as an intuitive theism. If so it seems to me the question is whether this will simply be a stage of development or grow into a game adults can play. Perhaps if one were, let's say, a neolithic farmer it wouldn't have mattered since there was little in the way of true understanding to take the place of this intuitive theism. Now, when leaders who will have nuclear weapons at their disposal come to power on the votes of adult citizens, whether those adults are guided by an institutionalized stage of childhood development is a matter of great import.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-11-2011, 02:17 AM
(03-11-2011 09:18 PM)Eye Sage Wrote:  
(03-11-2011 01:29 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  I don't consider that "one is born atheist" (and there has been research to indicate the opposite is more likely the case)...

I'm intrigued by how researchers managed to find evidence that human infants who had yet to realize the hand in front of their face was part of their own body were none-the-less able to conceptualize devine entities.

Seriously though I'm wondering if what you're referring to here is the tendency for children to attribute agency to physical phenomena which some have described as an intuitive theism. If so it seems to me the question is whether this will simply be a stage of development or grow into a game adults can play. Perhaps if one were, let's say, a neolithic farmer it wouldn't have mattered since there was little in the way of true understanding to take the place of this intuitive theism. Now, when leaders who will have nuclear weapons at their disposal come to power on the votes of adult citizens, whether those adults are guided by an institutionalized stage of childhood development is a matter of great import.

The only thing I could think of that he may be referring to is the concept that humans are innate thinking in a world view of Dualism.

I think I read somewhat about that in "The God Delusions" but like most of that book it only briefly touched on the concept, so I'm not sure about the research but I believe Dawkin's talks about it being a frequent thought process early in childhood that evolved due to it being a benefit to young minds to be open to believing for the optimal survival.

Even with that said I don't think that makes someone a NON-Atheist... That just made me shudder to type that... because until someone is old enough to firmly belief something, they can't be called a real believer, as they say, there is no such thing as a Christian child.
04-11-2011, 05:07 PM (This post was last modified: 04-11-2011 05:25 PM by houseofcantor.)
Yeah, you guys are on it. It's Agency. I love atheists - at least most of 'em. Big Grin

In 2007 there was a Newsweek article that I only remember because I was a theist getting into it with some atheists about the primacy of theism - holding off the godless by my onesies on the myspace R&P - when an atheist posted a link and handed me victory in the moment.

Which is a why of my being atheist. Further research (with the assistance of prophet Dawkins, of course Tongue) leads to this summation from (maybe) Seyforth:

The mind mistakes shadows for a burglar, the mind does not mistake a burglar for shadow.

Conclusion. We are born theist - then we learn and become atheist. One day we'll really know something and drop these asinine terms. Wink

(It's simply evolutionary advantage taken to its illogical extreme)
(03-11-2011 11:59 AM)ronfutch Wrote:  This is mostly an issue with parenting. We are born with a clean slate...
Ahh... no. Big Grin

Not my opinion, rather fact of evolution. I have discovered the Nothing that exists - love. Philosophical causality has a lesson to learn from this naive philosopher. It is my debt to humanity to write the philosophy of Chaotic Determinism. (dammit, I just got there! gimme a couple years I'll publish! Big Grin).

But i'll tell you something as an artist - there ain't no "blank" canvas - not with ellenjanuary around. Tongue

(we come fully packed with evolutionary baggage. one of the nastiest "surprises" in our luggage may be the relation between word and concept. as a mathematician, I trust in number.)

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-11-2011, 10:37 AM

Because It's hard to change some-thing against the changing.
I can't believe that I could see the truth !! Big Grin

The religious are in a intellectual prison. no free-thinking. Sad
Quote this message in a reply
12-11-2011, 01:46 AM
(27-10-2011 10:09 PM)Organon Wrote:  It would be interesting to get really honest answers from those people who state that they are Christians or that they believe in God.

I strongly suspect that the percentage of non-believers is enormously higher than we are led to believe and that people's answers about their religious beliefs are affected by societal norms and expectations.

Certainly the number of people attending church regularly is falling dramatically in many countries. If this is anything to go by then Christianity is most definitely losing its grip.

I know a lot of people go to church just because it's what they've always done, or it's expected in their family/community. They admit to a lot of skepticism, but just aren't willing to take the next step....sometimes out of fear, sometimes out of straight complacency.