Why Big Brother is inevitable

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-07-2013, 04:08 AM
RE: Why Big Brother is inevitable
(28-07-2013 03:59 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(28-07-2013 03:49 AM)DeepThought Wrote:  Well, read the post and go learn something if you care to.

So how is the average terrorist going to create a weapon out of this information?

Why are you asking me? Can't think for yourself?

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-07-2013, 04:09 AM
(28-07-2013 04:08 AM)DeepThought Wrote:  
(28-07-2013 03:59 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  So how is the average terrorist going to create a weapon out of this information?

Why are you asking me? Can't think for yourself?

Because I find it unlikely that the average person would be able to do so easily, alone, without the help of an expert or a team of experts, even in the future.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
28-07-2013, 04:19 AM
(28-07-2013 04:09 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(28-07-2013 04:08 AM)DeepThought Wrote:  Why are you asking me? Can't think for yourself?

Because I find it unlikely that the average person would be able to do so easily, alone, without the help of an expert or a team of experts, even in the future.

I provided examples with all the steps required from start to finish to replicate a pathogen. It could even include small tweaks and some extra genes.

Just because it requires a team of people now doesn't mean it will in the future.

Your incredulity doesn't change anything.

The trend is - these things are getting cheaper and easier. The steps involved are being automated. This technology gets better at a rate faster than Moore's Law. That's just how it is.

28-07-2013, 05:01 AM
(28-07-2013 04:19 AM)DeepThought Wrote:  
(28-07-2013 04:09 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  Because I find it unlikely that the average person would be able to do so easily, alone, without the help of an expert or a team of experts, even in the future.

I provided examples with all the steps required from start to finish to replicate a pathogen. It could even include small tweaks and some extra genes.

Just because it requires a team of people now doesn't mean it will in the future.

The trend is - these things are getting cheaper and easier. The steps involved are being automated. This technology gets better at a rate faster than Moore's Law. That's just how it is.

Yes, you provided me the steps. You have not shown me how a person would do so alone in their garage. I am not disagreeing that it is becoming easier, I simply think it is unlikely that the average person will be able to throw together a lethal biological weapon in their apartment in the near future.

28-07-2013, 05:54 AM
(27-07-2013 08:27 AM)DeepThought Wrote:  Are you high?

Just to tell you, my own statement was not directed at you.

28-07-2013, 06:06 AM
(28-07-2013 05:01 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(28-07-2013 04:19 AM)DeepThought Wrote:  I provided examples with all the steps required from start to finish to replicate a pathogen. It could even include small tweaks and some extra genes.

Yes, you provided me the steps. You have not shown me how a person would do so alone in their garage. I am not disagreeing that it is becoming easier, I simply think it is unlikely that the average person will be able to throw together a lethal biological weapon in their apartment in the near future.

I don't think the average person would be able to. It would have to be someone with above average intelligence.

The methods used right now are crude and primative. Boitechnology is like the invention of the car.

How many roads existed 70 yeards ago? Would someone back then be able to envision the road system that exists now. How old is the internet? I remember a time when almost no one knew anything about the internet.

Biotech is the next technology revolution.

[+] 1 user Likes DeepThought's post
28-07-2013, 08:10 AM
(28-07-2013 06:06 AM)DeepThought Wrote:  I don't think the average person would be able to. It would have to be someone with above average intelligence.

The methods used right now are crude and primative. Boitechnology is like the invention of the car.

How many roads existed 70 yeards ago? Would someone back then be able to envision the road system that exists now. How old is the internet? I remember a time when almost no one knew anything about the internet.

So we have already significantly lowered the number of people capable of engineering a biological weapon. Would you agree that the person would need a significant level of training and education in order to create something like that?

I actually think that a combination of biotech and cybernetics is the ultimate revolution in our future near.

28-07-2013, 10:59 AM
(28-07-2013 08:10 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(28-07-2013 06:06 AM)DeepThought Wrote:  I don't think the average person would be able to. It would have to be someone with above average intelligence.

So we have already significantly lowered the number of people capable of engineering a biological weapon. Would you agree that the person would need a significant level of training and education in order to create something like that?

I actually think that a combination of biotech and cybernetics is the ultimate revolution in our future near.

You are aware that many graduate physics students are asked to construct nuclear weapons (sans-uranium) and most are very successful? There will always be people that understand complex shit, and some of them will be crazy and/or greedy. The only reason we have not entered a thermonuclear apocalypse yet is because it takes the energy grid of a decent sized country to enrich uranium.

If just 0.5% of the population knows how to make a bioweapon that is still 35 million people capable of making said weapon. I wouldn't be surprised if that number was much larger given how important the industry will become, how much easier it will likely become and our exponentially growing population.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes ridethespiral's post
28-07-2013, 11:41 AM
(28-07-2013 10:59 AM)ridethespiral Wrote:  You are aware that many graduate physics students are asked to construct nuclear weapons (sans-uranium) and most are very successful? There will always be people that understand complex shit, and some of them will be crazy and/or greedy. The only reason we have not entered a thermonuclear apocalypse yet is because it takes the energy grid of a decent sized country to enrich uranium.

Shit, I could make you a nuclear device. Let me call a couple friends and front us a budget and, well...

Uranium's obviously hard to get hold of, but being a primordial element it's found in at least trace levels literally everywhere. The best ores are well secured, but any ambitious mad scientist could find and recover plenty just by heading to the sticks of Canada, Russia, Australia, Kazakhstan, Congo...

If your typical 60s spy movie mad scientist actually existed, we'd all be doomed. Several million dollars worth of refining (ie a trivial amount, all things considered), on widely available fissile-material precursors, would generate a device capable of obliterating any city centre you care to name.

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
28-07-2013, 12:15 PM
I love it when I can do this instead of typing up a whole post Tongue

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes ridethespiral's post