Why Brexit is doomed.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-08-2017, 01:43 PM
RE: Why Brexit is doomed.
Deltabravo makes some very good points, but I think there are things that I would qualify or balance.

The Scottish legal system is a sort of hybrid: inquisitorial and adversarial. From what I have read, it has more in common with the English system than, say, the French. Quote:
The principles and rules of Scots law are drawn from the same sources as those of English law, namely, legislation, the courts, European law and institutional writers.

Law applicable to Scotland can come from primary and delegated legislation passed by Westminster and the Scottish Parliament at Holyrood. The most important piece of legislation with regard to Scots law is the Scotland Act 1998 (which is an Act of the UK Parliament). Section 1 of this Act establishes a Scottish Parliament with a wide range of devolved powers. The Act lists reserved matters which can be legislated on by Westminster alone but leaves all matters not included under the legislative competence of the Scottish Parliament. These devolved powers include education, the environment, housing and local government, and matters reserved to Westminster include immigration, defence and foreign policy.
source:
http://thestudentlawyer.com/2013/06/17/t...-nutshell/

"English dominated" may sound prejudicial to the Scots, but the UK Parliament represents the whole UK as one nation. There are about 55 million English and five million Scots so, obviously, the English predominate over Scots, Welsh and Irish. Independence by any of these entities is an option that makes about as much sense as Brexit.

Disclose: I am a Scot unionist in Scotland, pro-remain.

Some Scottish Nationalists say that Brexit is wrong because 44% of UK exports go to the EU. 60-70% of Scottish exports go to the rest of the UK.

It would be hard to turn back from Brexit. Last I read 67% of voters now want Brexit and it would take the agreement of the other 27 nations just to "call it off". Certainly UKGov have handled the issue and the referendum badly. They seem to have thought the referendum would settle the issue!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Zeff's post
19-08-2017, 01:57 PM
Folks,

Adolf Hitler said that, without an empire, Britain's only viable future is within Europe. He wasn't right about everything, but this might be a keeper. Smile

D.
20-08-2017, 10:50 AM (This post was last modified: 20-08-2017 11:10 AM by Zeff.)
Not Hitler please! :-)
(19-08-2017 01:57 PM)Dworkin Wrote:  ... Britain's only viable future is within Europe...
The EU isn't Europe...
https://www.gov.uk/eu-eea
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_trade..._in_Europe

The EU should take some responsibility for Brexit too, perhaps. For example, whenever the question of waste arises (such as a million euros a month to keep the Parliament moving between Brussels and Strasbourg each month) there are only reasons and explanations from the Commission and too seldom solutions.

The EU wouldn't benefit from a position where nations simply couldn't get out. Brexit will hurt the UK and EU ecomomically, but might improve or even save the EU in the long term - if the EU learns from it.

What is needed is an EU that attracts membership. It has reached a stage since Maastricht in 2004 where aspects of it aren't popular. Can it be responsive to its members or will it use its numerical dominance to enforce the four principles? (..free movement of goods, capital, services, and labour – the "four freedoms" - Wiki)
20-08-2017, 11:21 AM
I don't know. I don't care.

But - I want the cocksucker who coined the term " brexit" hunted down and eviscerated with a rusty baling hook.....

I' m just sick to death of hearing trendy, manufactured words.

BrixitBrexitBrexitBrexit

SHADDUP ALREADY!!!

Angry

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
20-08-2017, 11:32 AM
(20-08-2017 11:21 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I' m just sick to death of hearing trendy, manufactured words.

BrexitBrexitBrexitBrexit

If you don't like the name, you could just call it "Norman" or something....

Hobo
20-08-2017, 05:45 PM
(16-08-2017 01:34 PM)Dr H Wrote:  
(15-08-2017 04:57 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  The preeminence of Federal law over state law has long been a feature of American governance. The Feds cannot pass state laws, but they can and do override them when there is a discrepancy. This is a process the Supreme Court has upheld.

Sometimes.

We're waiting to see what's going to happen with marijuana right now, for example. Legal in my state for both medical and recreational use, and creating it's own minor economic boom. Yet still an illegal Schedule I "narcotic" under federal law. We're not the only state in this position, and sooner or later this issue is going to hit the fan.

It hasn't been adjudicated in court, but that's simply because the DoJ hasn't opened suits against those laws. If they decide to do so, precedent has been long-established, and is firmly outlined in clear language in our Constitution.

Should such a case be laid, those laws will be struck down.