Why CNN sucks

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-04-2016, 10:17 AM
Why CNN sucks
Larry King: "Why do you bag on CNN so much?"
Jon Stewart: "You're terrible."

The headlines that CNN ran today compared to other networks pretty much say it all

BBC homepage: Trump and Clinton vie for Northeast US
Al Jazerra homepage: Syria rescue workers killed in Aleppo air strikes
MSNBC homepage: Can anything slow Trump tonight?
Reuters homepage: Trump poised for East Cost Primary wins
CBS news homepage: Is drug cartel behind executions of Ohio family?
ABC new homepage: 5 things to watch for in today's primaries.
Fox news homepage: Clues in the Cell? Parents of missing teen feud over iPhone

CNN Homepage: 'Wild Animals': Document shows racist texts sent by SF police officer.

This is NOT national news; it isn't even regional news. It's a 10 second squib in the 6 O'Clock local news broadcast about midway through the taping.

This has become a major problem, very symptomatic with CNN, where news programs are being catered to reactionary social media idiots. Just like the fall of the educational programming channels such as TLC, Discovery, the Science Channel, etc., the bosses of these news organizations found that there wasn't much money in real science and facts and a whole lot of cash in gossip, pseudoscience and witch hunts and began to program accordingly. News corporations found no one wanted to listen to modern Edward R Murrows or Walter Cronkites but instead wanted programming that fed their egos or the world changing crusades which existed only in the back of their minds. Here national news holds no real significance; living vicariously through celebrity gossip or sanctimonious witch hunts for racists or sexists or cute pet photos captivates them. Here the real problem is the public; after that comes the spineless cowards who run big media trying to make a buck off of this.

Bill O'Reilly: "I dunno....Fox News is making X-number of million dollars last year. They must be doing something right."
Jon Stewart: "Right......Because you can't make money selling crap in this country."

Now it's not like this problem is limited to just CNN

NBC news homepage: Big Leaguer Flips Off Fans After Losing Ball in Lights

It just that not only does CNN do this stupid BS on a regular basis, IT REALLY SUCKS AT IT. Look at the Fox news headline. It, too is stupid BS but its better that what CNN could ever do!

I'm really starting to run out of good media outlets where I can get trustworthy news and information as opposed to this crap. I don't care if honest news makes the moguls money, I NEED IT IN MY LIFE. If the Fourth Estate is really this dysfunctional then we are really screwed. The first step in fixing this problem is to acknowledge that we the public have become addicted to this kind of crap and we have to break it off and demand real news from the press.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver's post
26-04-2016, 11:35 AM
RE: Why CNN sucks
The biggest problem I have with CNN is their inability to move past a single subject.

4 months back to back talking about Micheal Jackson death.

Every time I tune in that would be talking about the same fucking thing.

24 hour newscast a world of issues and events and they talk about one thing.

Most of main stream media are victims of sponsorship and views. They get paid more if people are watching. So they have to pick sensationalized topics so people watch. That's why Drumpf is such a hot topic because people wont to tune in to see what bat-shit crazy he says next.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
26-04-2016, 12:03 PM
(26-04-2016 10:17 AM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  Larry King: "Why do you bag on CNN so much?"

The headlines that CNN ran today compared to other networks pretty much say it all

CNN Homepage: 'Wild Animals': Document shows racist texts sent by SF police officer.

This is NOT national news; it isn't even regional news. It's a 10 second squib in the 6 O'Clock local news broadcast about midway through the taping.

This has become a major problem, very symptomatic with CNN, where news programs are being catered to reactionary social media idiots. Just like the fall of the educational programming channels such as TLC, Discovery, the Science Channel, etc., the bosses of these news organizations found that there wasn't much money in real science and facts and a whole lot of cash in gossip, pseudoscience and witch hunts and began to program accordingly. News corporations found no one wanted to listen to modern Edward R Murrows or Walter Cronkites but instead wanted programming that fed their egos or the world changing crusades which existed only in the back of their minds. Here national news holds no real significance; living vicariously through celebrity gossip or sanctimonious witch hunts for racists or sexists or cute pet photos captivates them. Here the real problem is the public; after that comes the spineless cowards who run big media trying to make a buck off of this.

Bill O'Reilly: "I dunno....Fox News is making X-number of million dollars last year. They must be doing something right."
Jon Stewart: "Right......Because you can't make money selling crap in this country."

It just that not only does CNN do this stupid BS on a regular basis, IT REALLY SUCKS AT IT. Look at the Fox news headline. It, too is stupid BS but its better that what CNN could ever do!

I'm really starting to run out of good media outlets where I can get trustworthy news and information as opposed to this crap. I don't care if honest news makes the moguls money, I NEED IT IN MY LIFE. If the Fourth Estate is really this dysfunctional then we are really screwed. The first step in fixing this problem is to acknowledge that we the public have become addicted to this kind of crap and we have to break it off and demand real news from the press.

Look on the bright side. At least it's not about Prince and Pasley Park.
Facepalm
Weeping

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
26-04-2016, 12:36 PM
(26-04-2016 12:03 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(26-04-2016 10:17 AM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  Larry King: "Why do you bag on CNN so much?"

Look on the bright side. At least it's not about Prince and Pasley Park.
Facepalm
Weeping

Just wait until they release a coroner's report on him showing a perscription pill addiction. There will be hell to pay.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
[+] 1 user Likes Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver's post
26-04-2016, 12:53 PM
I totally agree, I used to watch CNN on a fairly regular basis, they used to have many different news stories to talk about during the hour and then at the top of the hour they would quickly go over the biggest story of the day and then go back into the other stories. If something really important was happening they would spend more time on it, but they wouldn't go on and on for days like they do now.

Their over coverage of the George Zimmerman trial and the missing MH370 flight is what did it for me, I never watch them anymore. I actually get most of my news from different sources like Wikinews, PBS News Hour and my local news. At least I can get important info about what is happening locally and globally and it's all in a timely format where each story gets 5 or so minutes and sometimes an interview if it's needed. CNN always likes to get 4 or 5 people talking about the same thing over and over again and it's always unimportant like "Donald Trump said something mean about someone, let's get 4 talking heads to tell you what they think about it!"

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like SitaSky's post
26-04-2016, 01:14 PM
I like Anthony Bourdain... And some of the programs they have at that late night not actual "news coverage" slots.

Some of those still fail at any intellegence or creativity in format. The 80s TV documentary bit I saw a couple weeks ago was drab. Nothing was well done there and you knew they did it to tie in themselves at the end if the 80s with their launch.

The shame is I was starting to get to an age and point of liking the Larry King show when he then retired. Gladly they removed the short lived Pierce Morgan replacement spot, that was frequent failure. Though the Penn Jillette appearance showed how clueless a guy like that Morgan could be.

Why must I be Ladd? via da Tapatalk

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
26-04-2016, 10:08 PM
Here's the Best Antidote to "mainstream" media I've yet come across. Not yet a source for deep investigative reporting (all but dead in our "entertainment as news" media today) but as Mr. Silver enlarges his operation I see Woodward/Bernstein II joining his payroll soon if not already on board.
27-04-2016, 12:19 PM
I like Glen Greenwald. He's "beholden" to no one.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
27-04-2016, 12:25 PM
I check the BBC when I want to find out what is going on in the world.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
27-04-2016, 05:58 PM
(27-04-2016 12:25 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  I check the BBC when I want to find out what is going on in the world.
I check the CBC and Toronto Globe. They cover the major US stories, plus give you an outside perspective. Besides, I like Canada.

Oh crap!