Why Can't People Do Good Deeds Without God Being Involved?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-01-2014, 09:00 PM
RE: Why Can't People Do Good Deeds Without God Being Involved?
Usually these types of people also thank their god for other things - mostly stuff from inanimate objects like alarms ringing on time, as they programmed it to do the night before, and things like cars breaking down right when they get off the highway and into town.

I try not to let my brain hurt to much on it as I need my brain to focus on better things.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-01-2014, 10:22 PM
(21-01-2014 05:50 PM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  I'm heading back home on the train today, and as I'm about to walk down the stairs to the tunnel I see a guy frantically searching the ground. I asked him if he needed some help and he said that he could not find his 24 hour bus/train pass. I helped him look, but we couldn't find it, so I...

You referrred to the idea of a motivating factor.

Did you help this person according to your own free will? Or, like some atheists, do you think free will is an illusion which doesnt really exist in a determinist, materialist system?

If free will doesnt really exist, neither does altruism.
21-01-2014, 10:32 PM
(21-01-2014 10:22 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  
(21-01-2014 05:50 PM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  I'm heading back home on the train today, and as I'm about to walk down the stairs to the tunnel I see a guy frantically searching the ground. I asked him if he needed some help and he said that he could not find his 24 hour bus/train pass. I helped him look, but we couldn't find it, so I...

Did you help this person according to your own free will? Or, like some atheists, do you think free will is an illusion which doesnt really exist in a determinist, materialist system?

Still the obtuse and petty idiot you always were, I see. Rolleyes

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
21-01-2014, 10:43 PM
(21-01-2014 10:32 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(21-01-2014 10:22 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  You referrred to the idea of a motivating factor.

Still the obtuse and petty idiot you always were, I see. Rolleyes

Why can't I Rep you and repay the compliment you gave me and my army of sock puppets?
...oh yeah, now I know why. Asymmetric rules of engagement.
21-01-2014, 10:46 PM
(21-01-2014 10:43 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  
(21-01-2014 10:32 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  Still the obtuse and petty idiot you always were, I see. Rolleyes

Why can't I Rep you and repay the compliment you gave me and my army of sock puppets?

Because I am your Gawd and the proof is that I use magic to keep you from doing it.

[Image: What-.gif]

[+] 1 user Likes Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
21-01-2014, 10:47 PM
(21-01-2014 10:46 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(21-01-2014 10:43 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  Why can't I Rep you and repay the compliment you gave me and my army of sock puppets?

Because I am your Gawd and the proof is that I use magic to keep you from doing it.

21-01-2014, 10:49 PM
(21-01-2014 10:47 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  
(21-01-2014 10:46 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  Because I am your Gawd and the proof is that I use magic to keep you from doing it.

What makes you think they can't, moron?

[Image: YourArgumentIsInvalid.jpg]

21-01-2014, 11:35 PM
(21-01-2014 10:22 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  

Do you have freewill to be an ignorant dick on the forum, or is your god forcing you to be one? Consider

(21-01-2014 10:43 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  Why can't I Rep you and repay the compliment you gave me and my army of sock puppets?
...oh yeah, now I know why. Asymmetric rules of engagement.

[Image: 1386786376102.gif]

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
21-01-2014, 11:51 PM
(21-01-2014 11:35 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(21-01-2014 10:22 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  You referrred to the idea of a motivating factor.

Do you have freewill to be an ignorant dick on the forum, or is your god forcing you to be one? Consider

Yes, I AM. Thumbsup

22-01-2014, 01:05 AM (This post was last modified: 22-01-2014 02:41 AM by IndianAtheist.)
(21-01-2014 05:50 PM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  Why is it so hard to believe that people do good deeds out of the goodness of their hearts without some motive? Why does somebody helping another person have to automatically be attributed to some invisible man in the sky? Is it really that hard to believe that helping our fellow man would not happen unless some god had something to do with it?
I think it has to do with the uncertainty of the world we live in.. we try to look for patterns in completely random and unexplained events and make it seem like it had one.

I got it! its called "Social Attribution"
Quote:At the same time, why is it that when something bad happens to them, they don't blame their god?
They're like abused wives aren't they? they'll never blame their abusive husband.

If something good happens = God is Great
If something Bad happens = It must be my fault.

Dreams/Hallucinations/delusions are not evidence
Wishful thinking is not evidence
Disproved statements&Illogical conclusions are not evidence
Logical fallacies&Unsubstantiated claims are not evidence
Vague prophecies is not evidence
Data that requires a certain belief is not evidence