Why Can't People Do Good Deeds Without God Being Involved?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-01-2014, 01:32 AM
RE: Why Can't People Do Good Deeds Without God Being Involved?
It's selfishness.

The religious person can't cope with the idea he's getting nothing for himself out of helping someone.

So he imagines his God's watching, and is going to reward him for his good deed.

Fucking pathetic.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-01-2014, 02:22 AM
I'm an atheist, and I often do something for someone I know or don't know out of selfish motives. It makes me feel good. Then there is my altruistic side, and sometimes I kick my ass hard when the person (stranger) I just gave a ride to pissed a quart of the foulest smelling stuff on the seat of my car. Now, I chock that up to a no reward at all in this deed, and I put on my altruistic cloak.

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story." Orson Welles
Find all posts by this user
22-01-2014, 02:26 AM
(21-01-2014 05:54 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  The thing is, the ONLY thing that keeps people who ask that stupid bullshit from being little Charles Mansons themselves, is the thin line of their beliefs in fairy tales.

Now imagine if one day they wake up and realize that these idiotic beliefs that are the only thing keeping them from ripping and running are all just silly bullshit.

THAT is fucking SCARY.

They just sell themselves short. If they woke up next week no longer believing in their god they would be the same people, for the most part. They wouldn't turn into "little Charles Mansons".
22-01-2014, 02:44 AM
I gave some guy change and he said "god bless you"

"I dont believe in god"

"I don't know what to say to that. Blessings must come from somewhere."

"If you mean the good things in my life... I suppose theyre just relative to circumstance. A few dollars to my name seems better than none, but either would seem equally troubling had I started the day as a millionaire. I doubt a god exists, and certainly not one who helps individuals. People help people. Well at the very least get out your wand and bless me yourself..."

"Your probably right. People just eat that up like its the right thing to say." *waves his hand at me* "bless you sir!"
22-01-2014, 06:46 AM
the winds of altruism can change pretty quick too (if we're going to be honest)

There are always guys at the end of the interstate exit ramp that I see often. I live in the south, their signs always say something about 'god bless' blah, blah. And I know all the things they say about not giving $ to panhandlers…BUT the other day when I stopped at the traffic light, the guy had a sign that didn't say 'god' on it. It's a rare thing. So I figure-this is the guy I want to help, Thumbsup I roll down the window, give the guy a buck and was about to comment on his sign and before I can he says "thank you god bless" And in that moment, I just wanted to jerk that dollar bill back. Angry (I didn't)

eh, some days my 'niceness' only goes so far.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
22-01-2014, 06:59 AM
Often when someone thanks me for something, I reply, "Gwynnie did it!" Heart

Thus, in the terms of the OP, experience tells me that those who cannot be good without god are either lying or psychopathic. Thumbsup

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
22-01-2014, 09:40 AM
I recently had a similar discussion with an atheist friend of mine.
He suggested that altruism, doing something for someone else without any benefit for yourself, doesn't exist.

Aspiring optimist
Eternal Pragmatist.
With the uncanny ability to see all sides in every argument.
22-01-2014, 10:22 AM
(21-01-2014 05:54 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(21-01-2014 05:50 PM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  I'm heading back home on the train today, and as I'm about to walk down the stairs to the tunnel I see a guy frantically searching the ground. I asked him if he needed some help and he said that he could not find his 24 hour bus/train pass. I helped him look, but we couldn't find it, so I told him I'd walk over to store with him and buy him a new pass. He says " God must have sent you to help me." I said "I highly doubt that God would send you an atheist to help you."

Why is it so hard to believe that people do good deeds out of the goodness of their hearts without some motive? Why does somebody helping another person have to automatically be attributed to some invisible man in the sky? Is it really that hard to believe that helping our fellow man would not happen unless some god had something to do with it? At the same time, why is it that when something bad happens to them, they don't blame their god? It's always good things happen to them because of the work of their god, while bad things happening to them is never the work of their god.

I just find it kind of depressing that a lot of people can't just think of a good deed as being a good deed and nothing more - that a person doesn't do something good without some motivating factor.

We see that argument presented here a lot -- "what keeps you atheists form being little Charles Mansons, etc".

The thing is, the ONLY thing that keeps people who ask that stupid bullshit from being little Charles Mansons themselves, is the thin line of their beliefs in fairy tales.

Now imagine if one day they wake up and realize that these idiotic beliefs that are the only thing keeping them from ripping and running are all just silly bullshit.

THAT is fucking SCARY.
Sorry, but this is the same fallacious reasoning applied in reverse. The same as you do not become immoral because of your lack of believe, they do not become moral because of their having belief. Remove the belief and I doubt very seriously that their morals would change all that much, if at all. In fact, they would then be atheists so maybe their morals would actually improve.

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
22-01-2014, 10:27 AM
(21-01-2014 10:22 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  
(21-01-2014 05:50 PM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  I'm heading back home on the train today, and as I'm about to walk down the stairs to the tunnel I see a guy frantically searching the ground. I asked him if he needed some help and he said that he could not find his 24 hour bus/train pass. I helped him look, but we couldn't find it, so I...

You referrred to the idea of a motivating factor.

Did you help this person according to your own free will? Or, like some atheists, do you think free will is an illusion which doesnt really exist in a determinist, materialist system?

If free will doesnt really exist, neither does altruism.
True or false, it's irrelevant. The point is it had nothing to do with a god. Drinking Beverage

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
22-01-2014, 06:23 PM
(21-01-2014 10:22 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  
(21-01-2014 05:50 PM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  I'm heading back home on the train today, and as I'm about to walk down the stairs to the tunnel I see a guy frantically searching the ground. I asked him if he needed some help and he said that he could not find his 24 hour bus/train pass. I helped him look, but we couldn't find it, so I...

You referrred to the idea of a motivating factor.

Did you help this person according to your own free will? Or, like some atheists, do you think free will is an illusion which doesnt really exist in a determinist, materialist system?

If free will doesnt really exist, neither does altruism.

I chose to help him for the simple reason that he was in need of help and there was something that I could do about it. I certainly didn't help him because I wanted to earn brownie points with some invisible man in the sky. Why does a god need to be involved?

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain