Why Charity Does Not Work

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-12-2012, 09:58 PM (This post was last modified: 01-12-2012 10:02 PM by FZUMedia.)
Why Charity Does Not Work
I think people have got a completely wrong idea, when it comes to charity and wanting to help people. The typical mindset of someone in favour of charity is "If we can just throw enough money in their general direction, they can live better." often times, charitable giving actually does the opposite of help, as seen in almost all cases of charities to poverty stricken countries, wealth injections (food, crops, wells, etc) end up commandeered by the state or organised criminals, the donated resources are then fought over, leaving the most violent people to reap the fruit of charity. We have been donating money to places like Africa for decades now? And the situation has only gotten worse- it's clearly telling us that we are going about this the wrong way.

The solution to this, is job opportunities; If I was an African dying of malnutrition, I would want job opportunities- not a hand me down every few months. People have got charities mixed up, giving a man sustainability is way more helpful than some rice or water every year. Trade and negotiation is what brings people wealth, not money being thrown around. The reason why Africa is poor is because their so much violence every which way, that virtually no private enterprises can get up and running-it's really sad. If you really care about the state of poverty countries, you should buy shares in an African company or even start an enterprise in Africa, giving people a chance to earn their keep by productive work. That would do infinitely more to help the situation.

'Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, you feed him for a life time"
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like FZUMedia's post
01-12-2012, 10:08 PM
RE: Why Charity Does Not Work

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
[+] 2 users Like fstratzero's post
02-12-2012, 08:15 AM
ohhhh fstratzero beat me too it. Sad

FUCK YOU fstratzero, I hope you get aids and die! Angry
Disclaimer: Don't be a stupid fucking idiot, I'm obviously fucking joking, calm your tits.

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
02-12-2012, 09:38 AM
I agree FZU. I've been looking that these guys http://www.kiva.org/start as the kind of thing that I would want to donate to. As little as $25.00 can be used as capitol for small micro loans. I have yet to check out any independent review of them but I think It's a great idea!

Here's what I'm about to give Mrs Grassy for christmas:
[Image: earrings.jpg]

Apparently made from discarded ammo casings by folks from war stricken regions of Africa. Pretty cool.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-12-2012, 02:17 PM
Actually that is one of the myths in the west, that poor nations want a hand out. In fact most nations now are onto the handout scheme and know that taking a loan from the west means servitude and debt for many many years and this hand out in the long run keeps their nation poor.
09-12-2012, 04:27 AM
(01-12-2012 10:08 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  

Interesting stuff!

What a stereotypical Italian! Haha Big Grin
11-02-2013, 01:32 PM
This is where social enterprises come in. Help people help themselves. It's the best sort of charity someone can receive.
13-02-2013, 12:25 PM
(01-12-2012 09:58 PM)FZUMedia Wrote:  I think people have got a completely wrong idea, when it comes to charity and wanting to help people. The typical mindset of someone in favour of charity is "If we can just throw enough money in their general direction, they can live better." often times, charitable giving actually does the opposite of help, as seen in almost all cases of charities to poverty stricken countries, wealth injections (food, crops, wells, etc) end up commandeered by the state or organised criminals, the donated resources are then fought over, leaving the most violent people to reap the fruit of charity. We have been donating money to places like Africa for decades now? And the situation has only gotten worse- it's clearly telling us that we are going about this the wrong way.

The solution to this, is job opportunities; If I was an African dying of malnutrition, I would want job opportunities- not a hand me down every few months. People have got charities mixed up, giving a man sustainability is way more helpful than some rice or water every year. Trade and negotiation is what brings people wealth, not money being thrown around. The reason why Africa is poor is because their so much violence every which way, that virtually no private enterprises can get up and running-it's really sad. If you really care about the state of poverty countries, you should buy shares in an African company or even start an enterprise in Africa, giving people a chance to earn their keep by productive work. That would do infinitely more to help the situation.

'Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, you feed him for a life time"
Strictly an opinion here but the way I see it is that we look at charity as a quick easy fix with no need to followup.
I look at it like an emergency situation. If you were shot, it might help you out short term for them to stabilize you in an ambulance but it won't help to get the bullet out. On the other hand if your bleeding like a fountain then you'll probably die before they have the chance to get the bullet out. So you need both.

Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day, Teach a man to fish and you'll feed him for a lifetime. Do both and he'll likely survive the lesson plan.

Just an outsider looking inn.
[+] 1 user Likes Foxcanine1's post
13-02-2013, 02:42 PM
Quote: 'Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, you feed him for a life time"
Short life, ends in mercury poisoning. All the water is privately owned and industrially poisoned.

When charity doesn't work, it's usually because it has to buy from the profit-driven private sector. What an earthquake victim needs is medical attention, clean water, food, clothes and a new house on stable ground. Every one of those things, including the bricks and ground, must be bought from corporations, and so do the vehicles and fuel for transporting goods and volunteers.

Those corporations are not going to invest - in the form of job-creating industry - in countries where there is no transport and communication infrastructure (contracted to private construction firms by government, with public funds) banking system (propped up and insured by government, with public funds) order and security (enacted by government, enforced by a publicly funded police force and law courts) low regulation, tax breaks and permissive environmental and workplace safety standards.
Sometimes, if labour and its life are cheap enough, they'll open a really toxic, really volatile chemical factory or strip-mine, then skedaddle and leave the government to clean up. Hardly the salvation of Africa!

Neither is international aid, mostly because it always gets tangled with political interference and corporate infiltration of another country. If there were no strings and no propped0up dictators, a lot of the money would still be embezzled (both by the givers and the receivers) and the rest would still go (as in US bank bailouts) to the people who created the problem it's meant to solve. Money is not the best form of helping. Letting people decide for themselves is.

Volunteers and the donated food and medicine save a lot of lives, even so. Also, many charitable institutions sponsor direct medical aid, eyeglasses, birth control, vaccinations, wells and irrigation, schools and amenities, child rescue, improved crop strains, small loans for local business ventures, co-operative land improvement and other worthwhile projects.
Charity at home - government downloading social services onto volunteer organizations is also very largely dependent on money donations to buy food and goods, rent space, advertising time and communications media from the corporate profit-mill... which created the poverty they're trying to alleviate.

People aren't poor by accident, or because they're too stupid to catch fish. Somebody makes them poor by taking their land, their water, their minerals, their children, their health, their livelihood, their pensions, their homes.

It's not the mean god I have trouble with - it's the people who worship a mean god.
[+] 1 user Likes Peterkin's post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Magnets: How do they work? rampant.a.i. 25 703 09-03-2014 09:06 AM
Last Post: Sam
  Charity Woo daylightisabadthing 9 394 06-08-2013 09:45 AM
Last Post: cjlr
  The Benghazi Hearings: How political faith and the believing brain work. I and I 8 333 11-05-2013 11:28 PM
Last Post: Revenant77x