Why Christian? Why not others?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-05-2016, 07:11 PM
Why Christian? Why not others?
I have experienced different reactions when I came out as an atheist a couple of times. I don't get why most of the time the Christian friends would be the ones that have strongest reaction and would even try to convert me. I rarely see any buddist or muslim friend that would really care when I say I am an atheist.
So why is there a difference? What's wrong with Christian?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-05-2016, 07:20 PM
RE: Why Christian? Why not others?
(23-05-2016 07:11 PM)toantranhhs Wrote:  I have experienced different reactions when I came out as an atheist a couple of times. I don't get why most of the time the Christian friends would be the ones that have strongest reaction and would even try to convert me. I rarely see any buddist or muslim friend that would really care when I say I am an atheist.

I think it may be their lack of knowledge as to what atheism actually is.
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
23-05-2016, 07:21 PM
It's important to many Christians that everyone believe as they do. Many are taught that they have to spread the word to everyone.

Aren't Buddhists more 'live and let live'?

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
23-05-2016, 07:22 PM
(23-05-2016 07:11 PM)toantranhhs Wrote:  I have experienced different reactions when I came out as an atheist a couple of times. I don't get why most of the time the Christian friends would be the ones that have strongest reaction and would even try to convert me. I rarely see any buddist or muslim friend that would really care when I say I am an atheist.

When I told a friend that I was atheist she immediately said that I should try her church, because it accepts homosexuals and is the everyone goes to heaven type.

When I told a Jewish friend I was an atheist they said they were too more or less.

I think Christians have a hard time with disbelief.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
23-05-2016, 07:29 PM
It’s been my experience that it’s only the people in religions that proselytize who are interested in what you believe. I think they really do it out of a genuine desire to help you, but they can’t see why it doesn’t make sense to anyone else why the thoughts that you think in your head should impact your eternal fate.
[+] 3 users Like Aliza's post
23-05-2016, 07:50 PM
Buddhists aren't really out to convert people generally, as far as I know. They just want to sit around and meditate. Tongue

23-05-2016, 08:50 PM
If you're in the US it's because Christians are the vast majority. They're used to everyone believing pretty much what they do.

Jew Buddhists and Muslims though? Not really.
[+] 1 user Likes natachan's post
24-05-2016, 01:39 AM
If you're an atheist in a number of Islamic countries your are an apostate and may well be persecuted or even killed. I think that's a pretty strong reaction to atheism. A bit more severe than being the subject of proselytising Christians.

The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike
Excreta Tauri Sapientam Fulgeat (The excrement of the bull causes wisdom to flee)
[+] 2 users Like Silly Deity's post
26-05-2016, 11:15 AM
The Great Commission from the Gospels says to spread the Gospel to all people and places. Combine that with the thought that those who don't accept Christ are going to burn in Hell, and it becomes a combination of duty with a sense of compassion and mercy on their part most likely.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Shai Hulud's post
26-05-2016, 11:27 AM
Someone made them think there is some notion that they're protecting you because they think some weird being cares if you believe in it for no good reason.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson