Why Christian? Why not others?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-06-2016, 07:10 AM
RE: Why Christian? Why not others?
(23-05-2016 07:50 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  Buddhists aren't really out to convert people generally, as far as I know. They just want to sit around and meditate. Tongue

Possibly also because the majority of Buddhists are also atheist.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-06-2016, 07:13 AM
(23-05-2016 07:11 PM)toantranhhs Wrote:  I have experienced different reactions when I came out as an atheist a couple of times. I don't get why most of the time the Christian friends would be the ones that have strongest reaction and would even try to convert me. I rarely see any buddist or muslim friend that would really care when I say I am an atheist.
So why is there a difference? What's wrong with Christian?

How many Buddhist and/or Muslim friends do you in actuality have?
15-06-2016, 07:49 AM
(23-05-2016 08:50 PM)natachan Wrote:  If you're in the US it's because Christians are the vast majority. They're used to everyone believing pretty much what they do.

Jew Buddhists and Muslims though? Not really.

This! In the USA Christianity is so widespread and such an ingrained part of the dominant culture they don't generally look at members of other religions as threats because most of them don't try to convert people like Christians do. And even if other religions do gain a foothold and bring a few people over to their team, at least they're playing the "game" of placing faith higher on their list of virtues and values than logic and reason. Atheism, for many people anyway, comes out of a natural curiosity and a need for knowledge instead of belief. That kind of thinking can be contagious and is far more conflicting with the Christian worldview than other religions are because even if you believe in some other god you're still not thinking for yourself or putting mankind first.

It's sort of like when you meet an avid football fan - someone for whom it's a VERY important part of their lives. They may support the team from their old college and you may support the team from yours, but at least you both value the game. Tell one of these people you just don't like sports, that you have more important ways to spend your time like hiking or playing an instrument and they don't have any idea what to make of you, and they also fear that you're judging them for liking what they like.
15-06-2016, 07:52 AM
Against a Muslim, Jew, or Buddhist a Christian need only explain WHAT he believes. Against an atheist he must explain WHY. And most Christians prefer to go through their lives without ever being challenged on that.

Maybe members of other faiths aren't as concerned with a person's atheism because they don't view your existence as a threat to their own because their beliefs are not a part of the dominant culture to begin with.
15-06-2016, 08:50 AM
(26-05-2016 11:15 AM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  The Great Commission from the Gospels says to spread the Gospel to all people and places. Combine that with the thought that those who don't accept Christ are going to burn in Hell, and it becomes a combination of duty with a sense of compassion and mercy on their part most likely.

When I was a Christian, this would be my reasoning for trying to reconvert an atheist friend back to Christianity.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi