Why Christianity is the most popular religion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-06-2011, 12:06 PM
Why Christianity is the most popular religion
Christianity has the most followers in the world. And the reason for this is simple:

It's the easiest religion to follow

While not a groundbreaking claim, it's my answer to the question of "if Christianity is false, how come there are so many Christians?" Just think about it.

If you convert to Islam, you have to cover yourself if you're a woman, pray five times a day, travel to Mecca, avoid certain foods, and actively seek global jihad.

If you convert to Judaism, you have to adhere to the dress code, the diet, learn parts of the Hebrew language, and go to Temple (community is a large part of Judaism).

Likewise with all other religions, you have to adapt their time consuming and inconvenient diets, rituals, and attire.

But with modern day Christianity, you can literally do nothing and maintain your Christian status. You can ask forgiveness and say the appropriate scripture verses to become a Christian while lounging around in your pajamas watching tv. And from then on, all you have to do is telepathically "try" to be a "better" person. You can do whatever you want, as long as you mentally "try" to do right. And if you fail, just ask forgiveness again. Christianity is like a diet where you eat lots of chocolate cake all week, and then on Sunday you mentally scold yourself and "try again" only to repeat the cycle.

And the morals of Christianity are so vague that you can be the guy holding the "God hates fags" sign or the guy yelling at the sign-holder to be more loving and accepting of all mankind... and you would BOTH be right. You can support evolution or be a YEC; you can take the Bible 100% literally or 100% figuratively; you can go to church and pray every day or never go to church and pray once a month. All of these are acceptable in the Christian community because there are no rigid guidelines.

Once 2/3rds of the Bible were thrown out for being "too vulgar" and "only applicable to the societies of 2000 years ago" and the other 1/3 became viewed as "inspired, to be interpreted any way you want" ...Christianity became an "anything goes" party with no requirements to become a member. Just try to be good.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 28 users Like Buddy Christ's post
15-06-2011, 03:25 PM
RE: Why Christianity is the most popular religion
Totally agree - great post.

"Christianity is like a diet where you eat lots of chocolate cake all week, and then on Sunday you mentally scold yourself and "try again" only to repeat the cycle."

That's 2,000 years of dogma, lies, warfare and backwards thinking summed up in one sentance. Made my evening...
[+] 3 users Like Shannow's post
15-06-2011, 03:53 PM

While I think some Muslims and Jews can follow their religion almost as loosely, you're definitely right about it being farm more prevalent among Christians. Most Christians live their lives, for the most part, like atheists. The religion just serves to make them feel better, and when it's disparaged many of the most liberal/moderate Christians react aggressively because it's a threat to their comforting notion of eternal life.
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Zach's post
15-06-2011, 06:37 PM
Right. It's just essentially easiest to call oneself christian without having to do shit-because even when they know nothing, or don't even necessarily believe anymore, they certainly wouldn't want to call themselves something horrible like agnostic or *gasp* atheist.

It's the opiate for the particularly lazy nonthinking masses. Wink

My reason for being is to serve as a cat cushion. That is good enough for me. Wink
[+] 3 users Like trillium13's post
15-06-2011, 06:41 PM
Might the current popularity of Christianity not also be due to the fact that Christians (USians, Europeans, and before that, Romans) had the biggest guns, most money, best technology and therefore most power/ influence over other states?

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.
[+] 3 users Like Peterkin's post
18-06-2011, 03:43 AM
(15-06-2011 06:41 PM)Peterkin Wrote:  Might the current popularity of Christianity not also be due to the fact that Christians (USians, Europeans, and before that, Romans) had the biggest guns, most money, best technology and therefore most power/ influence over other states?

That definitely helped, specially when they were conquering, sorry, converting "new lands" to Christianity with missionaries and big guns.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
18-06-2011, 07:27 AM
Buddy Christ:

While you are right that Christianity is easy to follow, that it definitely not the reason why it is the leading religion.
The majority of people do not choose religion, they are either born to it or they convert to the most available religion. If you're an Iranian atheist, you are more likely to convert to Islam, than to Christianity, simply because it is more available.

I think the leading cause of Christianity's popularity is to be searched in history. In 324, Roman emperor Theodosius converts the state to Christian religion. Some time later, the Imperium Romanum gives birth to the two leading states of Middle-Earth history: Byzantine Empire (even thought it was later occupied my Muslims) and the Western Roman Empire. Both of them were Christian states. After that, all minor states had to convert in order to have a good relationship with their stronger neighbors. So eventually Europe become all-christian, and of course the conquerors took their faith with them to America to Africa and to Australia.

..."we can be truly free - not because we can rebel against the the tyranny of the selfish replicators but because we know that there is no one to rebel."
Susan Blackmore : The Meme Machine
20-06-2011, 02:16 PM
Plus, they killed (and are still killing) a lot of non-christians; scared (and are still scaring) a lot of others into christianity or some semblance or sham thereof.

However, that's all about to change. Checked the birth-rates and median age of populations lately? Every time the USian religious right and their vassals close a family planning clinic, they're ensuring more future non-christians. (Do they not know?)

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.
[+] 1 user Likes Peterkin's post
20-06-2011, 04:49 PM
From my experience when I was a Christian, I sincerely believe that at least a quarter of bodies in the church pews are actually atheists. They just cannot deal with the social ramifications of admitting that fact, or the stigma of the dreaded 'A' word.

“There is no sin except stupidity.” Oscar Wilde
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes nontheocrat's post
20-06-2011, 05:02 PM
Nice post.
My country of Canada has a pretty high rate of what I call lazy christians. Not to say that they don't do their chores or what have you, but as far as doing the stuff the bible tells them to, super lazy. Most of them don't even go to church. But say anything against religion and boy howdy do they ever speak up. My sister is one of those so I know it well. She got mad that her sons school refused to teach the kids about god during christmas, and that they were having a holiday play instead of a christ orientated play. She even wrote the school. Meanwhile she's never taken her kids to church, or ever even read the bible. Any of them. She doesn't even know that christ was not even born on that day if he was born at all. She also believes he was white. And she prayed to god on facebook every game the canucks had. Oh and by the by, they lost.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like lucradis's post