Why Christianity is the most popular religion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-06-2011, 12:22 PM
RE: Why Christianity is the most popular religion
The spread of Christianity was and still is because the Europeans had superior technology and firepower, not to mention a powerful thirst for gold and silver and furs and spices. And they knew enough about biology to give disease-infected blankets to native communities so that they would be effectively wiped out by smallpox and influenza. So that is how they established themselves on most of the large land masses of the Earth, but today I agree with Buddy Christ that the reason Christianity endures is because it asks so little of it's followers. Another reason is because it evolves to reflect the current social mores- although the text in the Bible hasn't changed much recently, the way it gets interpreted by more and more socially progressive reiligious leaders does, which is awfully convenient for all those folks who want to live a life of comfortable luxury, buy sweat shop goods at Walmart, and still put 'What Would Jesus Do?' stickers on their bumpers.

The way to see by Faith, is to shut the eye of Reason. - Ben Franklin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-06-2011, 08:16 AM
I don't think Christ asks little of his followers. In fact, he asked quite a lot: KISS and let live; help where you can; turn the other cheek; accumulate no riches; love thy neighbour. Even today, there are missionaries and nurses, nuns and youth volunteers in all the troubled places, in all the war zones, earthquake aftermaths, in the leper colonies and drought-ridden plains, trying to help. None of that is easy.
And yet, that's what the early converts found admirable and worth pursuing, for the spiritual benefits.

If Christians have it easy now, it's only the prosperous, comfortable Western Christians, whose pastors tell them it's okay to own and bully most of the world; that God approves of their half-assed, noisy, superficial belief. This form of the religion is worth joining for the material benefits, not the spiritual ones.

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.
22-06-2011, 11:30 AM
There are some places in the world where being a Christian isn't easy. You can find out about some of them at these sites:

http://www.persecution.com/

http://www.opendoorsusa.org/

But there are people who continue to faithfully follow Christ even when they face persecution.

The information in ancient libraries came from real minds of real people. The far more complex information in cells came from the far more intelligent mind of God.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes theophilus's post
22-06-2011, 03:13 PM
(22-06-2011 11:30 AM)theophilus Wrote:  There are some places in the world where being a Christian isn't easy. You can find out about some of them at these sites:

http://www.persecution.com/

http://www.opendoorsusa.org/

But there are people who continue to faithfully follow Christ even when they face persecution.

I'm not talking about which religion is the most oppressed (it's hard to be oppressed as the religion of the global majority). I'm talking about your mandatory religious attire and behavior. A Christian in a Muslim country can hide it much easier than a Muslim in a Christian country. The Christian is some guy named Levi walking around, the Muslim is a bearded man kneeling on a carpet on the side of the road bowing towards Mecca 5 times a day.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
[+] 1 user Likes Buddy Christ's post
28-05-2012, 05:06 AM
well..let me say something, bible says that there is 3 gods; the father (the god), the son of god (jesus) and the holy spirit. okey this is clear, but something wrong and you must think about it Huh , "they killed the son, and the father can do anything he want, so why the father has let them kill his son" Consider !!!
a thing, does exist any word or sentence in the bible proofs that jesus said am the god? the answer is no!! if yes give the proof in the bible?
28-05-2012, 08:38 AM (This post was last modified: 28-05-2012 02:06 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(28-05-2012 05:06 AM)KarlKennedy Wrote:  well..let me say something, bible says that there is 3 gods; the father (the god), the son of god (jesus) and the holy spirit. okey this is clear, but something wrong and you must think about it Huh , "they killed the son, and the father can do anything he want, so why the father has let them kill his son" Consider !!!
a thing, does exist any word or sentence in the bible proofs that jesus said am the god? the answer is no!! if yes give the proof in the bible?

Hi Karl,

Actually the bible texts do not say there are "three" gods. That concept developed in history over a long period of time, in the history of the religions known collectively today as "Christianity". In fact many sects in Christianity do not agree about what the word "trinity" means. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trinity

[Image: 220px-Shield-Trinity-Scutum-Fidei-English.svg.png]

1. When the bible texts say "son of god" (in reference to Yeshua ben Josef .. Jesus), ... for example, after the baptism of Jesus, ..(and there are conflicting versions, depending which gospel you read)..but the gospels say the clouds opened, and a voice was heard saying "this is my beloved son, in whom I am well pleased". In the Ancient Near East when someone was called a "son of god", it did NOT mean that person actually was a literal "son", (as in "biological" son), but a "good person". There were MANY people who were calls "sons" of the god. It was a title given to famous generals, politicians, and all 'round "good guys". Originally, Jesus was not thought of as being a "divine" being, but that development process is a long history lesson, which you can look up for yourself, if you are interested.

2. Later in history, some guys decided to form what became the "Doctrine of the Trinity", and insist that it was part of "The Deposit of Faith", (of the Roman Church), ..see the Wiki link for the details.

3. A few weeks ago, there was a debate between Richard Dawkins and George Cardinal Pell in Australia. Richard Dawkins said to Cardinal Pell, ..(they were not talking about the trinity, butabout "transubstantiation"..the Doctrine of the Eucharist, but it applies here)... Dawkins said to Pell "whatever you MEAN when you say those English words, it is NOT what everyone else means when they say those words". Pell disagreed with him, then proceeded to prove, by what he said, that Dawkins was indeed correct. SO when they SAY, "one in three, and three in one".."three distinct persons, in one god"..bla bla, and and then say, "you just don't understand it, 'it's a mystery' ", it is proof that what Dawkins tried to explain to Pell, is indeed the case. They don't really understand what they are saying, (Aquinas also said he did not understand it !). So don't even try. It's "MEANINGlESS". The phrase, linguistically, has no "meaning".

4. There was an attempt to deal with the contradictions in the "doctrine", at the Council of Nicaea, (325 AD), where a bunch of humans fought like cats and dogs over what those words actually mean. They eventually voted, (non-unanimously, it is important to remember), on what was called the Nicaean Creed, as their final document, and many Christian communities still, to this day, repeat the words of that document, every week, when they do their worship rituals. The original document was written in Latin, and contradicts itself in a number of ways, which you can read for yourself, in the link. The most obvious contradiction is that the Creed states that the "son" is "eternally begotten".. in Latin ..

"Credo in unum Deum,
Patrem omnipoténtem,
Factórem cæli et terræ,
Visibílium ómnium et invisibílium.
Et in unum Dóminum Iesum Christum,
Fílium Dei Unigénitum,
Et ex Patre natum ante ómnia sæcula.
Deum de Deo, lumen de lúmine, Deum verum de Deo vero,
Génitum, non factum, consubstantiálem Patri ... "

As Dawkins was pointing out, it is simply liguistically meaningless to attempt to maintain that the "son" is "genitum, non factum", (begotten not made). It's the same as saying "black is white". It's meanless, linguistically.

5. If you are a theology nerd, like I am, this is funny, because it later, (about 300 years later), developed into what was called the "filioque" fight, ("filioque" is Latin for "and the son"). This had to do with the fact that originally, the creed was written in BOTH Greek and Latin, because some of the guys at the Council spoke Greek, and some spoke Latin. They still fight about this stuff, to this day. The Greek verb ἐκπορεύεσθαι of the text adopted by the Council of Constantinople, is equated with the Latin verb procedere, which actually should have been translated by the Greek verb προϊέναι, which some of the Greek speaking guys thought, (mistakenly) meant the same thing. Latin has no word with the exact same meaning as ἐκπορεύεσθαι (ἐκπορευόμενον, in the original Greek text of the Creed, is the present participle of the verb), and in its translation can only use the verb procedere, which has a much broader meaning.

Bottom line: They have no idea what they mean, why they are saying it, or what they are talking about.

The question of the nonsense of the "salvation paradign", (why the father had to see the son killed, in order to feel ok), is another long story, which we can look at another time, if anyone is even interested.

The interesting unexamined premise in some of this, is that saying a deity is a "person" is an obvious philosophical error. A "person" is by definition, NOT the "other" person. If god is a "person", it is, by definition self-limiting. The limit refutes any "infinite" claims. You can't be "a" person, (thus not the "other" person), AND still be an infinite god. I have never heard any claims about "infinite personality". I'll have to check this out.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
28-05-2012, 10:23 AM
(15-06-2011 12:06 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  Christianity has the most followers in the world. And the reason for this is simple:

It's the easiest religion to follow

Hello Buddy, let me just say...what a great thread! Right here in just a few short pages we have a multitude of mis-information...starting with the thread title.

Just popping in to get this in my file to make it easier to find, but I have to disagree with your assessment of Christianity, though what is said here applies to those that associate with Christ and Christianity, yet...have no understanding as to what scripture teaches.

Hope to get back to this soon, there are some very good comments that have been made, and I look forward to addressing them.

Before I go, I would just re-direct your attention to Theophilus' post, and ask how easy is it to give one's life up for what they believe?

You see, from my point of view, the easiest religion is...no religion. It's great! Make up your own rules, change those when it is convenient...lol, my, but you are just on the wrong track buddy...lol.

The biggest mistake you are making in this thread is to confuse all those that claim to be Christians...with true Christians, born again believers. These will lay down their lives for their faith.

Okay, gotta go. Be back when I can.

God bless.
28-05-2012, 10:25 AM
Oh, and by the way: nobody, I mean nobody...drinks my milkshake!
lol
Thats the comedy relief, by the way, to lighten the mood...lol.
God bless.
28-05-2012, 10:53 AM
nice job!! i was a christian and am converted to another religion, that religion is growing more than more, you know why pink because people found the real faith, sincerity, love and tranquility, your speech is totally bullshits and you don't give me one reason or answer for my questions, anyway disappointing..I am satisfied with my new religion, but i poseed this question to know the reason yet to believe in christianity knowing that there's more evidence indicates that the Bible has been distorted. but fortunately there's the Quran, the only one who has not been distorted if you read any aya of it, you can feel what am talking about.

.....Debate me if you trust yourself!!!!!! am here whenever u want Wink
28-05-2012, 11:35 AM
by the way buddy you said that if you convert to Islam, you have to cover yourself if you're a woman, pray five times a day, travel to Mecca, avoid certain foods, and active seek global jihad. but i say this is bullshit!!!!
after what I saw your post I swear you never know Islam!

[font=arial, sans-serif] + woman have to cover herself : give you a simple example ==> [/font]a man gives you t<o sweets one covered and one not covered what would you choose?? of course the the covered because you know it is not polluted which you can eat it without any risk, but other one maybe it was in the trash or in the ground ... then this is the same for our women ... we choose the covered.
+travel to mecca==> who says that going to mecca is necessary? Islam's five pillars of faith said that this is not mandatory to go there.
+certain foods are full of diseases like pig flesh it cause of cancer, you can check that!!! Scientists have confirmed that..! I dont think that any one of us wants to be infected with cancer Wink))
+ we pray five time: before any pray we have to clean ourselves before 5 prayers so we clean ourselves 5 times in the day.
we dont have to go to jihad as you post!!! this is bullshit
peace Wink