Why Christianity is the most popular religion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-05-2012, 12:48 PM
RE: Why Christianity is the most popular religion
(30-05-2012 01:40 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(30-05-2012 08:16 AM)Vosur Wrote:  All you do is raising further questions. Who is supposed to determine what is to be taken literally? Can you think of a single person that is (from a religious point of view) allowed to change anything at the Word of God? (Revelation 22, 18-19)

ST disagrees with me, but the determining factors in what is supposed to be taken literally are many. Context, history, and linguistic communication types are big factors

Quote:On the contrary, 99% of scripture is clear as to it's literal intent. The other 1% is what theologians like to debate over...lol.
Would you care to elaborate and provide evidence for your claims?

Going to have to disagree here. According to my understanding, the places that are for sure not literal are Genesis 1-3 as well as Revelation. As I continue to study, this may increase. As of right now, this is my understanding.
And your interpretation is not to be questioned?
Until you show, from God's word, why you believe what you believe...this is merely an expression of opinion.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-05-2012, 12:52 PM
(30-05-2012 02:07 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(29-05-2012 06:51 PM)S.T. Ranger Wrote:  While there are certain cults and anti-biblical based agendas that would have you to believe this, scripture is clear that God manifest in the flesh.
We know Him as Jesus the Christ. This is very clear in scripture for those willing to look at it.

God bless.

You didn't answer the question. After you answer the question, name the cults, and the agendas. Then please explain how the Divinity School at Harvard and the Princeton Seminary and Union Theological Seminary are anti-biblical. Then please explain why your god said anything at all in your scripture if she wasn't going to bother to be specific enough not to have the "divinity" appear consistent as an intellectual concept. Why did she have 4 DIFFERENT gospels say 4 different things about the divinity, if the differences were not important, and if the gospels were "inspired", or is that just a pleasant fiction ? Was she trying to trick humanity ? Also, did you mean to say "god IS manifest in the flesh", (or did you say what you mean ?) or should we take it from your English useage that, that also, along with your Biblcal history, is somewhat limited. Does your "clear in scripture for those willing to look at it" mean that you have looked at things from all sides, and did at one point look at "scriptures" objectively, BEFORE you started using them as faith documents - not subject to rational scrutiny, or have you always exempted them from rational scrutiny ? Or does "clear in scripture" mean that if one does not come up with a definitiion "similar" to yours, (the old "I know the truth..you just don't understand" thing) you judge them to be in error ? If so, again please tell us, what qualification you have to declare that others are in error " Does god talk to you, and tell you things ? Thank you very much. God bless.

The "question" keeps changing. That you reject my response is okay though.

I would suggest that of the Gospels, only John centers around the Deity of Christ, so I cannot really answer your question based upon your view of Christ's deity as taught in the Gospels.

And would it really make sense to try to discuss this with you, seeing that you have failed to recognize that scripture always refers to God in the masculine?

lol
31-05-2012, 12:55 PM
(31-05-2012 06:44 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(29-05-2012 06:53 PM)S.T. Ranger Wrote:  Sorry, but the only choice you have is to reject or accept, you do not have the power to decide whether Jesus will or will not die for you.
And...I'm going to resist the urge to return the raspberry.
lol
God bless.
Actually, I remember standing before "the creator of the universe" and accepting the title of prophet - that's the "accepting" I did - I wuz hornswoggled. Tongue

I also remember being with Paul at Corinth and knowing there was no such animal as "Jesus Christ." So there! Tongue

Don't be afraid of the raspberry. Wink

Okay...if you insist: nope, still couldn't bring myself to do it.

So do you view man as an animal, or just Christ Himself?

God bless.
31-05-2012, 12:58 PM
(31-05-2012 12:37 PM)lucradis Wrote:  Hey Ghost,

I'm also Canadian and lived through the 80's. You are correct god sir.

So you are a believer!

Just kidding...kind of important to things in context, huh?

On a serious note...congrats on surviving the 80s... Thumbsup

God bless.
31-05-2012, 12:58 PM
(31-05-2012 12:46 PM)S.T. Ranger Wrote:  Not quite accurate: sabbath is used to refer to several things in scripture, but does not equal "the Ten Commandments (law).

What are these "several" things? Sabbath in both Hebrew and Greek refer to the Sabbath day as listed in the Ten Commandments.

What else can "Sabbath" mean?

Hebrew occurrences

Greek occurrences

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
31-05-2012, 01:03 PM
I have no idea what you're talking about.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
31-05-2012, 01:04 PM
(31-05-2012 12:58 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(31-05-2012 12:46 PM)S.T. Ranger Wrote:  Not quite accurate: sabbath is used to refer to several things in scripture, but does not equal "the Ten Commandments (law).

What are these "several" things? Sabbath in both Hebrew and Greek refer to the Sabbath day as listed in the Ten Commandments.

What else can "Sabbath" mean?

Hebrew occurrences

Greek occurrences

Excellent question, start here...

Hebrews 4:9

King James Version (KJV)

9 There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God.

...for example.

Now, I will just suggest that you look at this before responding too quickly. Just as you mistakenly designated the content of Matthew 26:28 as "simply meaning covenant," without regard to the topic of discussion, I urge you not to make the same mistake here.
31-05-2012, 01:06 PM
(31-05-2012 01:03 PM)lucradis Wrote:  I have no idea what you're talking about.
lol...see the typo.
Just a little humor (very little...lol)
31-05-2012, 01:08 PM
Fundamentalist islamics are closer to the original islamics and therefor more accurate in their faith?

You seem to be missing out in the fact that your life is almost definitely not that of the original christians. Plenty of things have changed and rules are no longer followed. I am pretty definite that if you were to suggest you're a christian to one of the earlier ones they'd ask where you got that idea. All current forms of christianity are excessively different than the original sects that came about during it's conception.

Let's admit that you're yet again begging the no true scotsman fallacy (which you understand now right?). Faith is much more a matter of personal interpretation than adherance to scripture. Religions do change and acording to their followers that does not diminish their importance. Your god's message has been changed countless times and you've accepted plenty of huge fundamental changes. They were made before you were introduced, or they were introduced while you were in the faith and you made the conversion to accepting this difference. Scripture is the most malleable part of the religions of the books primarily due to the ability to interpret it in so many radically diverse ways.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
31-05-2012, 01:09 PM
I still don't get it. Your quote has a typo but my original post seems devoid of any typos. This is a mystery indeed. All praise the edit function.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user