Why Conspiracies are stupid.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-11-2016, 09:46 AM
RE: Why Conspiracies are stupid.
(16-11-2016 09:28 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  
(16-11-2016 09:24 AM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  I said that many atheists hold science as their new religion, the unquestionable, the infallible. If I did say science was the religion of all atheists it would have been my own error.

Many atheists put their trust in science. This is not the same as holding science as a new religion.

Saying anything other than the truth is a lie. Stop lying.
I have faith that the airplane will work, the vast majority of the time, and believe that this is because the aeronautical scientists have learned enough to get me there alive.

None of this is religious in the least.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Gawdzilla's post
16-11-2016, 09:49 AM
(16-11-2016 09:46 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  
(16-11-2016 09:28 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  Many atheists put their trust in science. This is not the same as holding science as a new religion.

Saying anything other than the truth is a lie. Stop lying.
I have faith that the airplane will work, the vast majority of the time, and believe that this is because the aeronautical scientists have learned enough to get me there alive.

I hate that use of the word "faith" though. I trust that the plane will take off because I have seen it before as a spectator and experienced it before as a passenger. I don't have faith it will take off and fly me safely to my destination because I have independently verifiable and demonstrable evidence to trust the planes, pilots, and the engineers.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
16-11-2016, 09:55 AM
(16-11-2016 09:32 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(16-11-2016 09:24 AM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  I said that many atheists hold science as their new religion, the unquestionable, the infallible. If I did say science was the religion of all atheists it would have been my own error.

[Image: giphy.gif]

How many atheists have you met that worship science? Or call it a religion? Or pray to it? Or have told you that they believe it to be infallible or divine or dogmatic? Consider

You don't need to worship or pray or even call it a religion for it to be like a religion.

As for dogma? Many atheists have the dogma that it is acceptable to ridicule and mock religion and those who adhere to it.

As for infallible that would most likely hit up the big bang theory. I don't believe in the big bang theory and I've gotten flack from a ton of atheists for it. To them it is this infallible theorem of the origins of the universe.

To me the universe has no origin, not a god, not a singularity. To me the universe was always here and will continue to be here long after I'm gone. To me the Big Bang theory is nothing more than the wishful thinking of a priest who wanted to combine creationism with science.

Even Carl Sagan mentions that there are astronomers who doubt the big bang.

And Carl Sagan doesn't call them stupid, he calls them skeptical.
16-11-2016, 09:56 AM
(16-11-2016 09:55 AM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  
(16-11-2016 09:32 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  How many atheists have you met that worship science? Or call it a religion? Or pray to it? Or have told you that they believe it to be infallible or divine or dogmatic? Consider

You don't need to worship or pray or even call it a religion for it to be like a religion.

As for dogma? Many atheists have the dogma that it is acceptable to ridicule and mock religion and those who adhere to it.

As for infallible that would most likely hit up the big bang theory. I don't believe in the big bang theory and I've gotten flack from a ton of atheists for it. To them it is this infallible theorem of the origins of the universe.

To me the universe has no origin, not a god, not a singularity. To me the universe was always here and will continue to be here long after I'm gone. To me the Big Bang theory is nothing more than the wishful thinking of a priest who wanted to combine creationism with science.

So, science has no traits of a religion and you've no examples of atheists treating it as a religion, but you assert that "some atheists" do. Is that the long and the short of it?

-Rick
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
16-11-2016, 10:00 AM
(16-11-2016 09:55 AM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  
(16-11-2016 09:32 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  How many atheists have you met that worship science? Or call it a religion? Or pray to it? Or have told you that they believe it to be infallible or divine or dogmatic? Consider

Stop saying things like "many atheists" because you're not validating your opinion with gross over-generalizations and a lack of evidence to substantiate it.

-Rick
16-11-2016, 10:10 AM
(16-11-2016 09:55 AM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  You don't need to worship or pray or even call it a religion for it to be like a religion.

As a matter of fact, you do. If there is no worship, no prayer, nothing supernatural, then it is not a religion.

(16-11-2016 09:55 AM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  As for dogma? Many atheists have the dogma that it is acceptable to ridicule and mock religion and those who adhere to it.

Once again, a mis-definition. A dogma means that you MUST do something. There is no dogma that says "an atheist must mock the religious". Since there is no "atheism" per se, there can be no dogma, period.

Many atheists do mock the religious, but such is done for personal reasons and ample opportunity.

(16-11-2016 09:55 AM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  As for infallible that would most likely hit up the big bang theory. I don't believe in the big bang theory and I've gotten flack from a ton of atheists for it. To them it is this infallible theorem of the origins of the universe.

Yet Another Fucking Lie. No one here has stated that the BBT is infallible. It is the currently accepted explanation for the beginning of the universe. Our best and most solid science supports it.

You stated that you did not believe or accept this and posters asked you to justify your position. When you did not do so, that is when you got "flak".

Show me any post where one of us here said that the BBT was infallible.

(16-11-2016 09:55 AM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  To me the universe has no origin, not a god, not a singularity. To me the universe was always here and will continue to be here long after I'm gone. To me the Big Bang theory is nothing more than the wishful thinking of a priest who wanted to combine creationism with science.

And to me your belief sounds like the wishful thinking of a primate who wants his existence to continue after his inevitable demise.

There is an entire body of science that supports the BBT.

What about your belief?

(16-11-2016 09:55 AM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  And Carl Sagan doesn't call them stupid, he calls them skeptical.

And this was decades ago. It is extremely problematic to apply Sagan's statements to modern scientific understanding. The man died in 1996.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 1 user Likes Fatbaldhobbit's post
16-11-2016, 10:22 AM
(16-11-2016 09:49 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(16-11-2016 09:46 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  I have faith that the airplane will work, the vast majority of the time, and believe that this is because the aeronautical scientists have learned enough to get me there alive.

I hate that use of the word "faith" though. I trust that the plane will take off because I have seen it before as a spectator and experienced it before as a passenger. I don't have faith it will take off and fly me safely to my destination because I have independently verifiable and demonstrable evidence to trust the planes, pilots, and the engineers.
I don't let other people determine my speech patterns. Cool
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-11-2016, 10:27 AM
(16-11-2016 10:10 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  
(16-11-2016 09:55 AM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  You don't need to worship or pray or even call it a religion for it to be like a religion.

As a matter of fact, you do. If there is no worship, no prayer, nothing supernatural, then it is not a religion.

(16-11-2016 09:55 AM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  As for dogma? Many atheists have the dogma that it is acceptable to ridicule and mock religion and those who adhere to it.

Once again, a mis-definition. A dogma means that you MUST do something. There is no dogma that says "an atheist must mock the religious". Since there is no "atheism" per se, there can be no dogma, period.

Many atheists do mock the religious, but such is done for personal reasons and ample opportunity.

(16-11-2016 09:55 AM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  As for infallible that would most likely hit up the big bang theory. I don't believe in the big bang theory and I've gotten flack from a ton of atheists for it. To them it is this infallible theorem of the origins of the universe.

Yet Another Fucking Lie. No one here has stated that the BBT is infallible. It is the currently accepted explanation for the beginning of the universe. Our best and most solid science supports it.

You stated that you did not believe or accept this and posters asked you to justify your position. When you did not do so, that is when you got "flak".

Show me any post where one of us here said that the BBT was infallible.

(16-11-2016 09:55 AM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  To me the universe has no origin, not a god, not a singularity. To me the universe was always here and will continue to be here long after I'm gone. To me the Big Bang theory is nothing more than the wishful thinking of a priest who wanted to combine creationism with science.

And to me your belief sounds like the wishful thinking of a primate who wants his existence to continue after his inevitable demise.

There is an entire body of science that supports the BBT.

What about your belief?

(16-11-2016 09:55 AM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  And Carl Sagan doesn't call them stupid, he calls them skeptical.

And this was decades ago. It is extremely problematic to apply Sagan's statements to modern scientific understanding. The man died in 1996.

The Big Bang theory must be pretty fragile if it needs so many scientists to assert it all the time

I don't have to support my disbelief of the big bang, it is you who must come to me with evidence to convince me, and I don't exactly believe the red shift is due to the doppler effect. If the big bang theory isn't infallible, then I should not receive flak for not believing in it, people may not say it is not infallible, but they are certainly act like it is.

As for Dogma

Here is Richard Dawkins evangelizing to atheists telling them to mock and ridicule theists

here is one of the definitions of Dogma

a point of view or tenet put forth as authoritative without adequate grounds
16-11-2016, 10:33 AM
(16-11-2016 07:58 AM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  And I call the state of Israel fascist with every right, I am German and an Italian and I know my own history.

Please explain what a fascist state constitutes what how and why this applies to Israel.

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
16-11-2016, 10:37 AM
(16-11-2016 10:33 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  
(16-11-2016 07:58 AM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  And I call the state of Israel fascist with every right, I am German and an Italian and I know my own history.

Please explain what a fascist state constitutes what how and why this applies to Israel.

Here.