Why Conspiracies are stupid.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-11-2016, 10:37 AM
RE: Why Conspiracies are stupid.
(16-11-2016 10:27 AM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  
(16-11-2016 10:10 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  As a matter of fact, you do. If there is no worship, no prayer, nothing supernatural, then it is not a religion.

Once again, a mis-definition. A dogma means that you MUST do something. There is no dogma that says "an atheist must mock the religious". Since there is no "atheism" per se, there can be no dogma, period.

Many atheists do mock the religious, but such is done for personal reasons and ample opportunity.

Yet Another Fucking Lie. No one here has stated that the BBT is infallible. It is the currently accepted explanation for the beginning of the universe. Our best and most solid science supports it.

You stated that you did not believe or accept this and posters asked you to justify your position. When you did not do so, that is when you got "flak".

Show me any post where one of us here said that the BBT was infallible.

And to me your belief sounds like the wishful thinking of a primate who wants his existence to continue after his inevitable demise.

There is an entire body of science that supports the BBT.

What about your belief?

And this was decades ago. It is extremely problematic to apply Sagan's statements to modern scientific understanding. The man died in 1996.

The Big Bang theory must be pretty fragile if it needs so many scientists to assert it all the time

I don't have to support my disbelief of the big bang, it is you who must come to me with evidence to convince me, and I don't exactly believe the red shift is due to the doppler effect. If the big bang theory isn't infallible, then I should not receive flak for not believing in it, people may not say it is not infallible, but they are certainly act like it is.

As for Dogma

Here is Richard Dawkins evangelizing to atheists telling them to mock and ridicule theists

here is one of the definitions of Dogma

a point of view or tenet put forth as authoritative without adequate grounds
Fuck me is this guy for real ? Shocking
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-11-2016, 10:39 AM
(16-11-2016 09:56 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(16-11-2016 09:55 AM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  You don't need to worship or pray or even call it a religion for it to be like a religion.

As for dogma? Many atheists have the dogma that it is acceptable to ridicule and mock religion and those who adhere to it.

As for infallible that would most likely hit up the big bang theory. I don't believe in the big bang theory and I've gotten flack from a ton of atheists for it. To them it is this infallible theorem of the origins of the universe.

To me the universe has no origin, not a god, not a singularity. To me the universe was always here and will continue to be here long after I'm gone. To me the Big Bang theory is nothing more than the wishful thinking of a priest who wanted to combine creationism with science.

Even Carl Sagan mentions that there are astronomers who doubt the big bang.

And Carl Sagan doesn't call them stupid, he calls them skeptical.

So, science has no traits of a religion and you've no examples of atheists treating it as a religion, but you assert that "some atheists" do. Is that the long and the short of it?

Beat me to it TBD.

Celestial_Blunder = atheism is a religion
Forum = no it isn’t, it doesn’t even come close to the definition of religion and these are the reasons why...
Celestial_Blunder = it fits my personal definition so I’m going with it

Celestial_Blunder = Many atheists have the dogma that it is acceptable to ridicule and mock religion and those who adhere to it.
Forum = no, dogma refers to what one thinks is true, not what is acceptable

Celestial_Blunder = To them (many atheists sic) it (BBT) is this infallible theorem of the origins of the universe.
Forum = For skeptics and those of us versed in science nothing is infallible. As new information is known older understandings are updated.
Celestial_Blunder = no, I want to make you all sound inflexible and religious-like.

Celestial_Blunder = To me the Big Bang theory is nothing more than the wishful thinking of a priest who wanted to combine creationism with science.
Forum = We are all entitled to our opinions but not to our own facts.
Celestial_Blunder = Sadcryface2

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 3 users Like Full Circle's post
16-11-2016, 10:43 AM
(16-11-2016 10:39 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(16-11-2016 09:56 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  So, science has no traits of a religion and you've no examples of atheists treating it as a religion, but you assert that "some atheists" do. Is that the long and the short of it?

Beat me to it TBD.

Forum = no it isn’t, it doesn’t even come close to the definition of religion and these are the reasons why...

Celestial_Blunder = Many atheists have the dogma that it is acceptable to ridicule and mock religion and those who adhere to it.

Celestial_Blunder = To them (many atheists sic) it (BBT) is this infallible theorem of the origins of the universe.
Forum = For skeptics and those of us versed in science nothing is infallible. As new information is known older understandings are updated.
Celestial_Blunder = no, I want to make you all sound inflexible and religious-like.

Celestial_Blunder = To me the Big Bang theory is nothing more than the wishful thinking of a priest who wanted to combine creationism with science.

So you're a creationist Full Circle?

What stops the Big Bang from being a divine act of creation? Nothing.
16-11-2016, 10:44 AM
(16-11-2016 10:37 AM)adey67 Wrote:  
(16-11-2016 10:27 AM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  The Big Bang theory must be pretty fragile if it needs so many scientists to assert it all the time

I don't have to support my disbelief of the big bang, it is you who must come to me with evidence to convince me, and I don't exactly believe the red shift is due to the doppler effect. If the big bang theory isn't infallible, then I should not receive flak for not believing in it, people may not say it is not infallible, but they are certainly act like it is.

As for Dogma

Here is Richard Dawkins evangelizing to atheists telling them to mock and ridicule theists

I think he (or she) is for real, but I think he's living in his own reality and he doesn't seem to express a willingness or interest to broaden his worldview. There's really only so far that you can go with someone like this.
16-11-2016, 10:45 AM
(16-11-2016 10:43 AM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  
(16-11-2016 10:39 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  Beat me to it TBD.

You need to listen to the podcast on TTA called a universe from nothing
16-11-2016, 10:46 AM
(16-11-2016 10:43 AM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  
(16-11-2016 10:39 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  Beat me to it TBD.

"What stops the Big Bang from being a divine act of creation? "

Lack of intent. Lack of a sentient being to have intent to create it.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
16-11-2016, 10:47 AM (This post was last modified: 16-11-2016 10:50 AM by Celestial_Wonder.)
(16-11-2016 10:45 AM)adey67 Wrote:  
(16-11-2016 10:43 AM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  So you're a creationist Full Circle?

You need to listen to the podcast on TTA called a universe from nothing

I haven't listened to a TTA podcast in a very very long time. I also don't see the point so could you give me a rundown of the podcast? Mainly. Does it actually postulate the universe came from nothing or is that just a catchy title to attract people's attention?

(16-11-2016 10:46 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(16-11-2016 10:43 AM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  So you're a creationist Full Circle?

"What stops the Big Bang from being a divine act of creation? "

That is from your perspective, now think of the perspective of a Christian who does believe in a god and you can see how easily it will go hand in hand with their beliefs.

Put a big fat label of science on that and you can sell it to Atheists and Christians alike.
16-11-2016, 10:51 AM
(16-11-2016 10:47 AM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  
(16-11-2016 10:45 AM)adey67 Wrote:  You need to listen to the podcast on TTA called a universe from nothing

I haven't listened to a TTA podcast in a very very long time. I also don't see the point so could you give me a rundown of the podcast? Mainly. Does it actually postulate the universe came from nothing or is that just a catchy title to attract people's attention?

(16-11-2016 10:46 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  "What stops the Big Bang from being a divine act of creation? "

That is from your perspective, now give that perspective to a Christian who does believe in a god and you can see how easily it will go hand in hand with their beliefs.

"That is from your perspective, now give that perspective to a Christian who does believe in a god and you can see how easily it will go hand in hand with their beliefs."

Different perspectives aren't the same as different opinions. Christians with a paucity of evidence for their claims, don't equate with the lack of evidence for the universe being created by a sentient being. You're conflating issues.

The lack of evidence of a god or a sentient being or a conscious universe, isn't a matter of perspective. It is a consequence of having no evidence to substantiate those beliefs/opinions.

-Rick
[+] 2 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
16-11-2016, 10:53 AM
(16-11-2016 10:47 AM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  
(16-11-2016 10:45 AM)adey67 Wrote:  You need to listen to the podcast on TTA called a universe from nothing

(16-11-2016 10:46 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  "What stops the Big Bang from being a divine act of creation? "

That is from your perspective, now think of the perspective of a Christian who does believe in a god and you can see how easily it will go hand in hand with their beliefs.

Put a big fat label of science on that and you can sell it to Atheists and Christians alike.

"Put a big fat label of science on that and you can sell it to Atheists and Christians alike."

I don't know what that is intended to mean. People believing something is true, doesn't make it a religion by default.

What is a "religion" to you? Because you don't seem to use any definition that people commonly accept.

-Rick
16-11-2016, 10:56 AM
(16-11-2016 10:37 AM)adey67 Wrote:  
(16-11-2016 10:27 AM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  The Big Bang theory must be pretty fragile if it needs so many scientists to assert it all the time

As for Dogma

I think he's a dirty sock, and he smells a lot like Heywood Jablohme.