Why Conspiracies are stupid.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-11-2016, 09:58 PM
RE: Why Conspiracies are stupid.
(14-11-2016 09:41 PM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  They had to be theories first before they became admitted as factual, but they were always factual even when they were only considered theories.

What part of this do you not understand?

A theory is different from a conspiracy theory. Why does this not sink in?

Quote:conspiracy theory
noun
a theory that explains an event as being the result of a plot by a covert group or organization; a belief that a particular unexplained event was caused by such a group.
the idea that many important political events or economic and social trends are the products of secret plots that are largely unknown to the general public.

dictionary

Quote:scientific theory
noun
a coherent group of propositions formulated to explain a group of facts or phenomena in the natural world and repeatedly confirmed through experiment or observation.
dictionary

(14-11-2016 09:41 PM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  Can you glean that much from this? That theories are not so absurd? And you yourself, believe in a theory, a big bang theory, which is just a theory yet you believe it. There is also the 'theory' of evolution but at this point I'm pretty sure that it should be considered a fact. Still technically a theory. so there's two theories you believe in.so you're a conspiracy... theorist...

I wonder if you can comprehend the arrogance that it takes, for you to come here and lecture us with your mis-defined terms, logical fallacies and condescension.

You are deliberately using divine incorrectly.
You are deliberately using conspiracy theory incorrectly.
You are deliberately using theory & scientific theory incorrectly.
You are misstating the extent of our scientific knowledge.
You are discarding said knowledge when it disagrees with you and praising it when it supports your case.

And you ask if I can gleam anything from your "wisdom"???

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
14-11-2016, 10:23 PM
(14-11-2016 09:58 PM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  
(14-11-2016 09:41 PM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  They had to be theories first before they became admitted as factual, but they were always factual even when they were only considered theories.

What part of this do you not understand?

Quote:conspiracy theory
noun
a theory that explains an event as being the result of a plot by a covert group or organization; a belief that a particular unexplained event was caused by such a group.
the idea that many important political events or economic and social trends are the products of secret plots that are largely unknown to the general public.

dictionary

Quote:scientific theory
noun
a coherent group of propositions formulated to explain a group of facts or phenomena in the natural world and repeatedly confirmed through experiment or observation.
dictionary

(14-11-2016 09:41 PM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  Can you glean that much from this? That theories are not so absurd? And you yourself, believe in a theory, a big bang theory, which is just a theory yet you believe it. There is also the 'theory' of evolution but at this point I'm pretty sure that it should be considered a fact. Still technically a theory. so there's two theories you believe in.so you're a conspiracy... theorist...

I wonder if you can comprehend the arrogance that it takes, for you to come here and lecture us with your mis-defined terms, logical fallacies and condescension.

You are discarding said knowledge when it disagrees with you and praising it when it supports your case.

So everything I say is incorrect? John Wayne was an actor. You seem to be on the defensive quite a lot. You'd make a great linebacker. I will fully admit there is some difference between a scientific theory and a conspiracy theory, but they are both, nonetheless, THEORIES. Certainly I'm not saying that all conspiracy theories are true, certainly not saying that for scientific theories.

I accept that I know I don't know. Can you do the same? Can you even admit a possibility that some conspiracies might actually be true? If you can then why are you being so adverse to my posts? I certainly didn't make this thread with the intention to debate the finer details of whatever you're imagining right now.

(14-11-2016 09:55 PM)Aliza Wrote:  
(14-11-2016 09:50 PM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  No, I believe in the holocaust a lot more than you do ^-^

I shouldn't have called you a worthless loser. That was rude of me. I'm sorry for that.

You shouldn't call anyone a worthless loser, regardless of their conspiratorial or religious beliefs. But I forgave you the moment it happened so it is already in the past. Smile
14-11-2016, 10:27 PM
Watergate was a conspiracy of Nixon's henchmen to undermine the Democratic National Headquarters and alter the election. They were paid off and told to shut up. After the investigation by the Watergate Committee revealed all this, it went from being called a conspiracy to something else............... the news.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
14-11-2016, 10:34 PM
(14-11-2016 10:27 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Watergate was a conspiracy of Nixon's henchmen to undermine the Democratic National Headquarters and alter the election. They were paid off and told to shut up. After the investigation by the Watergate Committee revealed all this, it went from being called a conspiracy to something else............... the news.

Kind of wished I was alive back then to see the shit storm it created...
14-11-2016, 11:10 PM
(14-11-2016 09:41 PM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  They had to be theories first before they became admitted as factual,

Wrong. Conspiracies often get uncovered without any idea that they existed, hence no theory.

Quote:but they were always factual even when they were only considered theories.

They were always factual even when they were unknown.

Quote:I hope you can glean from this much, that today's theories could very well be tomorrows facts.

So? Some might, most won't.

Quote:In such the case as the Holocaust there were boundless rumors, but people believed them to be just that. Until suddenly after the war millions of people simply vanished. You could be allowing a new holocaust, and you wouldn't even know, because it was just 'an absurd theory'.

Actually, no. There was evidence that was ignored or denied.

Quote:Can you glean that much from this? That theories are not so absurd? And you yourself, believe in a theory, a big bang theory, which is just a theory yet you believe it. There is also the 'theory' of evolution but at this point I'm pretty sure that it should be considered a fact. Still technically a theory. so there's two theories you believe in.so you're a conspiracy... theorist...

Oh, here we go, "just a theory". Facepalm

You need an education. You are conflating 'theory' and 'scientific theory'. They are not the same.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
14-11-2016, 11:11 PM
(14-11-2016 09:50 PM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  
(14-11-2016 09:48 PM)Aliza Wrote:  How exactly does their presence throughout history mean that they're not stupid?

... Oh wait? Are you another holocaust denier? You're a worthless loser.

/conversation.

No, I believe in the holocaust a lot more than you do ^-^

You can't possibly know that. Why do you make shit up? Consider

[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
14-11-2016, 11:12 PM
(14-11-2016 10:23 PM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  
(14-11-2016 09:58 PM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  What part of this do you not understand?

dictionary

dictionary

So everything I say is incorrect? John Wayne was an actor. You seem to be on the defensive quite a lot. You'd make a great linebacker. I will fully admit there is some difference between a scientific theory and a conspiracy theory, but they are both, nonetheless, THEORIES. Certainly I'm not saying that all conspiracy theories are true, certainly not saying that for scientific theories.

I accept that I know I don't know. Can you do the same? Can you even admit a possibility that some conspiracies might actually be true? If you can then why are you being so adverse to my posts? I certainly didn't make this thread with the intention to debate the finer details of whatever you're imagining right now.

(14-11-2016 09:55 PM)Aliza Wrote:  I shouldn't have called you a worthless loser. That was rude of me. I'm sorry for that.

You shouldn't call anyone a worthless loser, regardless of their conspiratorial or religious beliefs. But I forgave you the moment it happened so it is already in the past. Smile

(14-11-2016 10:23 PM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  .......but they are both, nonetheless, THEORIES.

Um...you DO realize that a scientific theory is not a "guess" don't you?

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
14-11-2016, 11:52 PM
(14-11-2016 11:10 PM)Chas Wrote:  Wrong. Conspiracies often get uncovered without any idea that they existed, hence no theory.

Often, because most of the time when they're uncovered it was discovered AS it was happening not giving enough time for a conspiracy to emerge.

Quote:I hope you can glean from this much, that today's theories could very well be tomorrows facts.

So? Some might, most won't.

Quote:In such the case as the Holocaust there were boundless rumors, but people believed them to be just that. Until suddenly after the war millions of people simply vanished. You could be allowing a new holocaust, and you wouldn't even know, because it was just 'an absurd theory'.

[/quote]

So if there are conspiracies that are happening it is our duty to try and discern what is actually happening. Apathy towards a crime is just as bad as committing the crime itself, because you're allowing it to happen. Some might even say its worse.

Quote:Oh, here we go, "just a theory". Facepalm

You need an education. You are conflating 'theory' and 'scientific theory'. They are not the same.

It is still just a theory because scientific theories could still be wrong. That is why they're called a scientific theory instead of scientific law.

IE even scientific theories are faith based.

(14-11-2016 11:12 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Um...you DO realize that a scientific theory is not a "guess" don't you?

Not when its concerning the big bang theory no. Drinking Beverage
15-11-2016, 12:09 AM
(14-11-2016 11:52 PM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  
(14-11-2016 11:10 PM)Chas Wrote:  Wrong. Conspiracies often get uncovered without any idea that they existed, hence no theory.

Often, because most of the time when they're uncovered it was discovered AS it was happening not giving enough time for a conspiracy to emerge.

What has that to do with my response which was to point out your erroneous statement?

Quote:So if there are conspiracies that are happening it is our duty to try and discern what is actually happening. Apathy towards a crime is just as bad as committing the crime itself, because you're allowing it to happen. Some might even say its worse.

Again, what has that to do with my response which was to point out your erroneous statement?

Quote:
Quote:Oh, here we go, "just a theory". Facepalm

It is still just a theory because scientific theories could still be wrong. That is why they're called a scientific theory instead of scientific law.

No. Just no.
Fuck off with this 'just a theory' bullshit.
Quote:A scientific theory is a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world that is acquired through the scientific method and repeatedly tested and confirmed, preferably using a written, pre-defined, protocol of observations and experiments.

Quote:IE even scientific theories are faith based.

See above to see how wrong you are.

Quote:
(14-11-2016 11:12 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Um...you DO realize that a scientific theory is not a "guess" don't you?

Not when its concerning the big bang theory no. Drinking Beverage

You should learn some actual science instead of whatever it is you are doing.

[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
15-11-2016, 12:26 AM
(15-11-2016 12:09 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(14-11-2016 11:52 PM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  Often, because most of the time when they're uncovered it was discovered AS it was happening not giving enough time for a conspiracy to emerge.

What has that to do with my response which was to point out your erroneous statement?

You were saying that conspiracies were uncovered and didn't have a theory for them, I was saying that this was because they were uncovered while the conspiracies were happening.

Take for example the Lavon Affair.

Quote:Actually, no. There was evidence that was ignored or denied.

So if there are conspiracies that are happening it is our duty to try and discern what is actually happening. Apathy towards a crime is just as bad as committing the crime itself, because you're allowing it to happen. Some might even say its worse.
Quote:Again, what has that to do with my response which was to point out your erroneous statement?

If we aren't trying to discern modern conspiracies we become the co-conspirators essentially. You said there was evidence for the holocaust and it was ignored or denied. So how do you know you're not doing the same thing. Assuming you think conspiracy theories are rubbish otherwise I don't think you'd take the ample time to respond to me in this fashion.

Quote:It is still just a theory because scientific theories could still be wrong. That is why they're called a scientific theory instead of scientific law.

Quote:No. Just no.
Fuck off with this 'just a theory' bullshit.
Quote:A scientific theory is a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world that is acquired through the scientific method and repeatedly tested and confirmed, preferably using a written, pre-defined, protocol of observations and experiments.

Quote:IE even scientific theories are faith based.

See above to see how wrong you are.

So scientific theories are infallible?

Quote:Not when its concerning the big bang theory no. Drinking Beverage
Quote:You should learn some actual science instead of whatever it is you are doing.

So my disbelief in the big bang means I have less of an understanding of science? Or would that simply make me more skeptical than you?