Why Creationism Has No Place In Science Class

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-03-2014, 05:20 PM
Why Creationism Has No Place In Science Class
I think Neil Degrasse Tyson stated perfectly why Creationism has no business being taught alongside science in schools:

"I don't have any issue with what you do in the church, but I'm going to be up in your face if you are going to knock on my science classroom and tell me that I have to teach what you're teaching in your Sunday school, because that is when we are going to fight. There is no tradition of scientists knocking down the Sunday school door, telling the preacher 'That might not necessarily be true!' That's never happened! There are no scientists picketing outside of churches! There has been this co-existence forever. So to have the religious communities knocking down the science door, there's something wrong there, and I thank that to Al-Ghazali and the 12th century, and the fall to that intellectual empire - and it's got me scared in America."

He also mentioned the letter that he wrote to the New York Times editor about the case in New Jersey where a student recorded a teacher telling the class that Christianity is right, all other religions are wrong, there were dinosaurs on Noah's Ark, etc.:

"People cited violation of the First Amendment when a New Jersey schoolteacher asserted that evolution and the Big Bang are not scientific and that Noah's ark carried dinosaurs. This case is not about the need to separate church and state; it's about the need to separate ignorant, scientifically illiterate people from the ranks of teachers."

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes WindyCityJazz's post
10-03-2014, 05:26 PM
RE: Why Creationism Has No Place In Science Class
It has no place because it's bullshit. No need to write a wall of text to say that.
10-03-2014, 05:38 PM
Tyson's a good guy, I like him a lot.

Atheists want to be able to claim him as one of us (with good reason), but the huge rise in atheism that's appeared recently is something he's publicly said hewould rather not get involved in, and I can respect him for that. He's often said he prefers to refer to himself as agnostic (although his definition of agnostic is the same as my definition of atheist).

Either way, he's a powerful voice of reason today... And that's far more important than which demographic he places himself in.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Sam's post
10-03-2014, 05:52 PM
(10-03-2014 05:26 PM)donotwant Wrote:  It has no place because it's bullshit. No need to write a wall of text to say that.

You're complaining that I put a couple of paragraphs from quotes by a scientist for the OP of a thread? I suppose I should just follow your example and make threads like "I don't hate theists anymore" and make those five words the entire OP, huh? I guess I just think that if I start a thread the OP should have a little substance to it. Silly me...

[+] 4 users Like WindyCityJazz's post
10-03-2014, 06:04 PM
(10-03-2014 05:52 PM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  
(10-03-2014 05:26 PM)donotwant Wrote:  It has no place because it's bullshit. No need to write a wall of text to say that.

You're complaining that I put a couple of paragraphs from quotes by a scientist for the OP of a thread? I suppose I should just follow your example and make threads like "I don't hate theists anymore" and make those five words the entire OP, huh? I guess I just think that if I start a thread the OP should have a little substance to it. Silly me...

No need to get mad. I just think that creating 100th thread with quotes everybody heard 10 million times is not so fresh.
10-03-2014, 09:24 PM
(10-03-2014 06:04 PM)donotwant Wrote:  
(10-03-2014 05:52 PM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  You're complaining that I put a couple of paragraphs from quotes by a scientist for the OP of a thread? I suppose I should just follow your example and make threads like "I don't hate theists anymore" and make those five words the entire OP, huh? I guess I just think that if I start a thread the OP should have a little substance to it. Silly me...

No need to get mad. I just think that creating 100th thread with quotes everybody heard 10 million times is not so fresh.

Where else have I or anyone posted this specific quote any time recently? How about the constant threads you start about a "conversation with a theist" that's just the same damn story over and over again? For someone who goes around talking shit about people claiming they post the same threads all the time, you sure as hell don't mind posting the same shit over and over. Maybe you ought to take a look in the mirror and stop this hypocritical bullshit. I've never attacked you unless you went after me first. If you are going to attack me, then don't go getting pissed off when I bite back, and then accuse me of getting mad for no good reason. Rule number one when attacking others: Don't dish it if you can't take it!

[+] 1 user Likes WindyCityJazz's post
10-03-2014, 09:26 PM
(10-03-2014 09:24 PM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  
(10-03-2014 06:04 PM)donotwant Wrote:  No need to get mad. I just think that creating 100th thread with quotes everybody heard 10 million times is not so fresh.

Where else have I or anyone posted this specific quote any time recently? How about the constant threads you start about a "conversation with a theist" that's just the same damn story over and over again? For someone who goes around talking shit about people claiming they post the same threads all the time, you sure as hell don't mind posting the same shit over and over. Maybe you ought to take a look in the mirror and stop this hypocritical bullshit. I've never attacked you unless you went after me first. If you are going to attack me, then don't go getting pissed off when I bite back, and then accuse me of getting mad for no good reason. Rule number one when attacking others: Don't dish it if you can't take it!

Hahaha Laughat
10-03-2014, 10:00 PM
(10-03-2014 05:38 PM)Paranoidsam Wrote:  Tyson's a good guy, I like him a lot.

Atheists want to be able to claim him as one of us (with good reason), but the huge rise in atheism that's appeared recently is something he's publicly said hewould rather not get involved in, and I can respect him for that. He's often said he prefers to refer to himself as agnostic (although his definition of agnostic is the same as my definition of atheist).

Either way, he's a powerful voice of reason today... And that's far more important than which demographic he places himself in.

I remember in one of his presentations where he talked about how religion erodes progress, he ended it by saying "I want to put on the table not why 85% of the National Academy rejects God, I want to know why 15% don't."

That certainly comes off way more atheist than agnostic. Tyson's main concern though, has always been not allowing religion to poison education. He's not really concerned with spreading atheism in general.

[+] 2 users Like WindyCityJazz's post
10-03-2014, 10:09 PM
Dunno to me Tyson is too much like a pussy. He goes through all kinds of mental gymnastics to avoid being called an atheist even though he trolled god openly multiple times(especially the intelligent design).
10-03-2014, 10:10 PM
(10-03-2014 10:00 PM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  
(10-03-2014 05:38 PM)Paranoidsam Wrote:  Tyson's a good guy, I like him a lot.

I remember in one of his presentations where he talked about how religion erodes progress, he ended it by saying "I want to put on the table not why 85% of the National Academy rejects God, I want to know why 15% don't."

That certainly comes off way more atheist than agnostic. Tyson's main concern though, has always been not allowing religion to poison education. He's not really concerned with spreading atheism in general.

But he is a good thinker, a skeptic, and a science advocate; and to quote David Silverman "If you are a skeptic and a believer, you aren't very good at one of those two things."

[Image: Silverman-meme.jpg]

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]