Why Did You Join TTA?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-12-2016, 07:59 AM
RE: Why Did You Join TTA?
(05-12-2016 07:55 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(05-12-2016 07:49 AM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  Well, where I live in the US it's considered a given that you believe in the christian version of god. If you say that you're an atheist people look at you with total confusion.

It's not much different here, though admiting to atheism is met with accusations of being commie thanks to historic associations. Nationalist also thinks that one can not be True Pole (whatever that means) without being catholic.

I also have feeling that religion is one the rise in recent times but to be honest it never was truly harmed, even when Poland was behind Iron Curtain.

People around here are generally too ignorant to even know what an atheist is. Hence the confused looks.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-12-2016, 08:02 AM
(05-12-2016 07:59 AM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  
(05-12-2016 07:55 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  It's not much different here, though admiting to atheism is met with accusations of being commie thanks to historic associations. Nationalist also thinks that one can not be True Pole (whatever that means) without being catholic.

I also have feeling that religion is one the rise in recent times but to be honest it never was truly harmed, even when Poland was behind Iron Curtain.

People around here are generally too ignorant to even know what an atheist is. Hence the confused looks.

I told one lady I was an atheist and she looked confused, then said slowly, "Well, it happens, people get abused..." as if that was the only possible way a person could not believe in God. Facepalm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Gawdzilla's post
05-12-2016, 08:04 AM
(05-12-2016 07:59 AM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  
(05-12-2016 07:55 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  It's not much different here, though admiting to atheism is met with accusations of being commie thanks to historic associations. Nationalist also thinks that one can not be True Pole (whatever that means) without being catholic.

Here people aren't more enlightened, they just are accustomed to hearing the term atheist.

(05-12-2016 08:02 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  
(05-12-2016 07:59 AM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  People around here are generally too ignorant to even know what an atheist is. Hence the confused looks.

I told one lady I was an atheist and she looked confused, then said slowly, "Well, it happens, people get abused..." as if that was the only possible way a person could not believe in God. Facepalm

Abuse as cause of atheism? Curious reversal if one consider indoctrination to be abuse.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 3 users Like Szuchow's post
05-12-2016, 09:19 AM
(04-12-2016 02:11 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  wants to meet a nice Catholic girl

I prefer the other kind. Where do I find them? Tongue

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 3 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
05-12-2016, 09:23 AM
(03-12-2016 10:49 PM)AnaBunny Wrote:  What the title says. ^.^

I was doing a lot of lab work and was listening to podcasts like the Atheist Experience but after I got bored of its repetition I stumbled around some other podcasts and found TTA. Seth mentioned the forum on a podcast and because I didn't really have anyone to discuss religion with at the time (my wife has since become more interested in discussing religion), I joined the forum to pass time and have interesting discussions.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 2 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
05-12-2016, 09:42 AM
(05-12-2016 09:19 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  

How many do you want?

Girl_nails

Sexual repression is a wonderful thing.

Angel

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
05-12-2016, 10:15 AM
(05-12-2016 09:42 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(05-12-2016 09:19 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  I prefer the other kind. Where do I find them? Tongue

How many do you want?

Girl_nails

Sexual repression is a wonderful thing.

Angel
You know, that's totally the vibe I'm getting from someone I'm chatting with on Ave Maria Singles.

(05-12-2016 09:19 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  

All over the place? Tongue

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Shai Hulud's post
06-12-2016, 12:45 AM
To annoy heathens.

...or something like that.

Either that or boredom.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 4 users Like kingschosen's post
06-12-2016, 08:08 AM
There was a period of about 25 years following when I had become an atheist where my family pretty much left me alone about it. Then one day a family member decided to ask me why I was an atheist. All my reasons then were based only on logic and my own thinking about religion. We had a couple of very lengthy conversations after that lasting hours during which I went through my reasons and we discussed them. This family member, by they way, had done the opposite in the 25 years and become more and more religious. I was a bit annoyed that none of what I said in the conversations made any difference. Somewhere in the conversations, this family member had asked me if I had ever visited an atheist website to see what they were saying and I realized I had not. So I decided to try it to see if there were any different thoughts that might help my family member finally see the absurdities in the Catholic faith. I landed on this website and immediately discovered that there is whole lot of information out there that I never knew about and a lot of knowledgeable people here that I learn from all the time. So I stayed.

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
[+] 5 users Like Impulse's post
06-12-2016, 08:12 AM
(04-12-2016 02:11 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Still, if DLJ wants to meet a nice Catholic girl, just saying... Tongue

I married one 30 years ago. She still wears her Catholic school girl uniform sometimes when I'm a good boy.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 5 users Like GirlyMan's post