Why Did You Join TTA?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-12-2016, 08:12 AM
RE: Why Did You Join TTA?
(06-12-2016 12:45 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  To annoy heathens.

...or something like that.

Either that or boredom.

Or predestination. Drinking Beverage

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like GirlyMan's post
06-12-2016, 08:17 AM
(04-12-2016 09:44 AM)Peter Slevon Wrote:  
(04-12-2016 08:48 AM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  I came here to forget.
Ah, the forum is called "The Thinking Atheist Forum." How does "forget"ing facilitate thinking?
You have that backwards. Thinking facilitates forgetting... Tongue

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
06-12-2016, 08:25 AM
I'm a denizen of the forums. It started back in the days of build your own computers in the 90's. I got on a big tech board.
Then I purchased a dodge diesel truck and wanted to know more. Diesel truck forums.
Building boats, materials for other related projects? boat design forums.
Designing my own kitchen cabinets? Woodworking forums.
When I seek advice for designing a trailer, I go to welding web.
This is to preface the fact that I have yet to view a podcast. I got here because I am physically removed from my family and frequent discourse with them, and missed talking to people without that agenda of belief in the background. I could invest some time in a relationship with somebody local, only to find out that the woo was going to get in the way.
[+] 2 users Like skyking's post
06-12-2016, 09:11 AM
Echoing several others... I did not know any atheists IRL and was searching for info/support. I heard Seth mention this forum on the podcast and joined. So very glad I did. I don't post a lot. But, even still, I feel like I am part of a community. You guys have been way more important to me than you all realize. Heart Heart Heart

I just wanted to let you know that I love you even though you aren't naked right now. Heart
[+] 9 users Like TurkeyBurner's post
06-12-2016, 10:02 AM
Most of the people I knew where theist and what I tried doing was having conversations with questions. But I felt like i keep running into roadblocks people didn't want to proceed with conversations. They didn't want to answer my questions they could have blocked off any proceeds I knew of The Thinking Atheist from youtube and I liked Seths approach to the topic. If I recall right I did join back when it first opened but I was still a theist at that time and kind of just looked at it from an outsider's veiw. Years passed and my understanding of the atheist perspective grew. I wanted to be of be part of the conversation. So being the only atheist forum I knew of it signed up.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 1 user Likes Commonsensei's post
06-12-2016, 10:20 AM
(05-12-2016 08:04 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(05-12-2016 07:59 AM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  People around here are generally too ignorant to even know what an atheist is. Hence the confused looks.
Here people aren't more enlightened, they just are accustomed to hearing the term atheist.

(05-12-2016 08:02 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  I told one lady I was an atheist and she looked confused, then said slowly, "Well, it happens, people get abused..." as if that was the only possible way a person could not believe in God. Facepalm

Abuse as cause of atheism? Curious reversal if one consider indoctrination to be abuse.

I think she was saying I'd "left the Church" because I'd been ... abused. Not true. The only thing that's been up my down staircase is an endoscope.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post
06-12-2016, 10:21 AM
(06-12-2016 08:12 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(06-12-2016 12:45 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  To annoy heathens.

...or something like that.

Either that or boredom.

Or predestination. Drinking Beverage

Drinking Beverage
06-12-2016, 06:10 PM
(06-12-2016 08:12 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(04-12-2016 02:11 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Still, if DLJ wants to meet a nice Catholic girl, just saying... Tongue

I married one 30 years ago. She still wears her Catholic school girl uniform sometimes when I'm a good boy.

I hope it's the one with the skirt, and not the long corduroy pants and multi-layered sweater, or that would seem to be more of a punishment for being good...

Need to think of a witty signature.
[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post
06-12-2016, 11:34 PM
I lurked on here for the first few months of my de-conversion. All the awesome logic made it a lot easier on me and eventually I decided to join all you great people. .u.
[+] 4 users Like Diddlyboop's post
07-12-2016, 05:34 AM
(06-12-2016 08:12 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I married one 30 years ago. She still wears her Catholic school girl uniform sometimes when I'm a good boy.

... and only then when you're not wearing it? Laugh out load

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post