Why Did You Join TTA?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-12-2016, 07:47 PM
RE: Why Did You Join TTA?
Just remember that confession was invented in the 12th Century, and that "Christians in the early communities of the Church obtained forgiveness for those sins by practicing prayer, good deeds, fasting and alms-giving."- Wiki

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacrament_of_Penance

Oh, and Jennybee, you are a "Wicked Little Thing"! Laugh out load I'm right there with you!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
07-12-2016, 08:55 PM
I am quite frankly getting sick of a few people over at another atheist forum I frequent and unfortunately the 'ignore' feature is beyond useless, so It's nice to switch between the two.
[+] 1 user Likes Lucipurr's post
07-12-2016, 09:30 PM
(07-12-2016 08:55 PM)Lucipurr Wrote:  I am quite frankly getting sick of a few people over at another atheist forum I frequent and unfortunately the 'ignore' feature is beyond useless, so It's nice to switch between the two.

Is there a lot of overlap between the two forums? I hear people mention "the other forum" often enough that I figured a lot of people were on both.
07-12-2016, 10:18 PM
(07-12-2016 09:30 PM)Aliza Wrote:  
(07-12-2016 08:55 PM)Lucipurr Wrote:  I am quite frankly getting sick of a few people over at another atheist forum I frequent and unfortunately the 'ignore' feature is beyond useless, so It's nice to switch between the two.

Is there a lot of overlap between the two forums? I hear people mention "the other forum" often enough that I figured a lot of people were on both.

I visit that forum, as well, but not that much overlap. Some shit went down recently. But that doesn't make it a bad place to hang out; it's just different. One poster (a real piece of work!) got banned recently. He was playing people pretty well. I stayed out of it, but the guy is good. If he shows up here, we'll see how long he lasts. Seems like some shitheads are tolerated over there. Then again, I see shitheads tolerated here that get bounced there. Just how it goes in the real world. Examples- ProgrammingGodJordan (PGJ) is still a member there (banned within a week or so, here), while Heywood was banned over a year ago, and made it years, here. I've seen PGJ trounced within a few days at other sites, as well. I get around. Yes
07-12-2016, 11:20 PM
(07-12-2016 09:30 PM)Aliza Wrote:  ...

There is no 'other' forum. It is a myth created by the patriarchy to compensate us for the injustices of this one.

(07-12-2016 08:45 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  
(05-12-2016 09:42 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Sexual repression is a wonderful thing.

Angel

As someone who deals with a person who grew up sexually repressed, I can tell you firsthand it is NOT a good thing.

Ah! And that gets to the nub of why I joined.

In England, religions had been tamed and sterilised and relegated to being Dave Allen sketches or Dylan Moran routines and churches were places to go to practice being disparaging about those people down the street who we were not supposed to talk to.

But in Asia my first crop of flatmates were obvious victims struggling to comprehend a world of angels and ghosts, saints and saviours, poverty and struggle that simultaneously taught them not to question the covert suppression of their human urges while lighting a path out of that poverty by selling their own bodies.

People often use the term "cognitive dissonance" as the ability to hold two (or more) contradictory beliefs, ideas or values at the same time. But that is merely 'compartmentalism' which is a valuable coping mechanism. This abridged definition misses the key part ... the dissonance part ... which is the mental stress or discomfort caused by that experience.

Various sects have labelled that dissonance as 'guilt'.

I took it upon myself to ease that guilt, remove that dissonance by enabling cognitive harmony... which involved explaining that what they had been taught was a lie.

Early on, I made some mistakes, misjudged the distance to my targets... I looked for help and found a wealth of it on line. I joined the internet age as an observer and student. Then Hitchens died.

Not long after, I signed up to the second ever thing I signed up for as a netizen (the first was hotmail) and my very first post began...

Quote:I think there is a growing number who (as Seth put it in his inspiring tribute) can "take it from here"...

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post