Why Do Atheists Have the Highest Suicide Rates?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-03-2015, 10:36 PM
RE: Why Do Atheists Have the Highest Suicide Rates?
(30-03-2015 10:26 PM)pablo Wrote:  
(30-03-2015 10:20 PM)sharshabil Wrote:  http://www.conservapedia.com/Atheism_and_suicide

From a reverend in 1894? Seems kinda outdated and biased.

there are also some stuff from 2004, 2005 and others, and i can tell it's true, it applies to me and many atheists i know, it's like we lack moderation or something: thinkers -----> weed addicts etc, non-thinkers ----> party people, as a general rule for atheists.

but tell me why do you keep opposing this idea? like it's trivial that we have "fewer reasons for living, particularly fewer moral objections to suicide." (copy paste from the link i provided) , like seriously who would disagree to this. again to the point, you're treating happiness as if it is an equivalent of truth, this really makes me think you're not older than 13, seriously guys, how old are you, may i know? i'm 18 1st year college
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-03-2015, 10:41 PM
(30-03-2015 10:36 PM)sharshabil Wrote:  
(30-03-2015 10:26 PM)pablo Wrote:  From a reverend in 1894? Seems kinda outdated and biased.

there are also some stuff from 2004, 2005 and others, and i can tell it's true, it applies to me and many atheists i know, it's like we lack moderation or something: thinkers -----> weed addicts etc, non-thinkers ----> party people, as a general rule for atheists.

Well, hell that's good enough for me!

Facepalm

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
30-03-2015, 10:42 PM
The link between atheism and suicide is irrelevant.
If there were a lessened rate of suicide in those who believe in the Easter Bunny, does the USEFULNESS of some bullshit justify the bullshit ? (Utilitarianism) ... No. It does not. Is truth determined by what is easy ? No.
There entire thrust of this argument is crap, and utterly invalid.
Grow up.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
30-03-2015, 10:43 PM
(30-03-2015 10:34 PM)ivaneus Wrote:  The external links cited in that article suspiciously contains references for only one side of the argument.

And the 2004 study's sample consists of 371 DEPRESSED inpatients. I think this is an important point to note because then you can't generalize this to the entire atheist demographic, unless you have further proof that all atheists are depressed.

oh yea sorry i just read your reply, yea true that. but i think (think, no statistics) that atheists have a higher probability to get depressed, like as i said, no meaning of life, no god and stuff, if a religious person gets into trouble he'd have "god" by his side, we won't, we just have to accept it as is.
30-03-2015, 10:46 PM
The 2004 and 2005 citations reference the same study with the same set of samples. That is, DEPRESSED individuals. So at best you can say that among DEPRESSED individuals, irreligious ones are more likely to contemplate suicide.

Also, the fact that these studies may apply to you and all atheists you may know means nothing to the rest of us to whom this does not apply to.

If you don't want a sarcastic answer, don't ask stupid questions. Drinking Beverage
30-03-2015, 10:47 PM
(30-03-2015 10:43 PM)sharshabil Wrote:  
(30-03-2015 10:34 PM)ivaneus Wrote:  The external links cited in that article suspiciously contains references for only one side of the argument.

And the 2004 study's sample consists of 371 DEPRESSED inpatients. I think this is an important point to note because then you can't generalize this to the entire atheist demographic, unless you have further proof that all atheists are depressed.

oh yea sorry i just read your reply, yea true that. but i think (think, no statistics) that atheists have a higher probability to get depressed, like as i said, no meaning of life, no god and stuff, if a religious person gets into trouble he'd have "god" by his side, we won't, we just have to accept it as is.

You are 18 and in college? Take advantage of that...read a book (other than the Bibble) and learn something. Your ignorance is showing but it could be fixed.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
30-03-2015, 10:50 PM
(30-03-2015 10:43 PM)sharshabil Wrote:  

Again, just because it may apply to you or to some people you know doesn't mean it applies to everyone. I will cite myself as a counter-example for this. I was brought up roman catholic and only deconverted at age 32. And my life and my disposition actually became better and lighter. I treat the people around me better, i have a healthier and more positive attitude about life. I'm sure there are others like me here.

If you don't want a sarcastic answer, don't ask stupid questions. Drinking Beverage
30-03-2015, 10:53 PM
(30-03-2015 10:47 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(30-03-2015 10:43 PM)sharshabil Wrote:  oh yea sorry i just read your reply, yea true that. but i think (think, no statistics) that atheists have a higher probability to get depressed, like as i said, no meaning of life, no god and stuff, if a religious person gets into trouble he'd have "god" by his side, we won't, we just have to accept it as is.

You are 18 and in college? Take advantage of that...read a book (other than the Bibble) and learn something. Your ignorance is showing but it could be fixed.

why the fuck are you referencing me to the bible, i told you i'm an atheist, and i'm not even from a christian background. and for the dude who said what appeals to be true to me means none to others, yea you're right. and why are we even arguing about this? like at first we were arguing with someone who said atheism isn't true because of suicidal. well, let's not argue about the truth of suicidal things, i'm off with that subject, you convinced me. But i'm saying there are two cases: first case: not true that atheists suicide: the original poster has no point. second case: atheists do suicide (for the sake of the arguement, i'm not debating this point): this doesn't mean they're wrong. got me now?
30-03-2015, 10:55 PM
(30-03-2015 10:53 PM)sharshabil Wrote:  
(30-03-2015 10:47 PM)Anjele Wrote:  You are 18 and in college? Take advantage of that...read a book (other than the Bibble) and learn something. Your ignorance is showing but it could be fixed.

why the fuck are you referencing me to the bible, i told you i'm an atheist, and i'm not even from a christian background. and for the dude who said what appeals to be true to me means none to others, yea you're right. and why are we even arguing about this? like at first we were arguing with someone who said atheism isn't true because of suicidal. well, let's not argue about the truth of suicidal things, i'm off with that subject, you convinced me. But i'm saying there are two cases: first case: not true that atheists suicide: the original poster has no point. second case: atheists do suicide (for the sake of the arguement, i'm not debating this point): this doesn't mean they're wrong. got me now?

For a college kid, you write like shit.

30-03-2015, 11:00 PM
(30-03-2015 10:53 PM)sharshabil Wrote:  
(30-03-2015 10:47 PM)Anjele Wrote:  You are 18 and in college? Take advantage of that...read a book (other than the Bibble) and learn something. Your ignorance is showing but it could be fixed.

Er. No sorry i don't get you. The topic of this thread is whether or not atheists have higher suicide rates (than believers). You cited sources supporting this claim. We told you your sources were inadequate. You seem to acknowledge this. What is your new point, then?