Why Do Atheists Have the Highest Suicide Rates?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-03-2015, 08:31 PM
RE: Why Do Atheists Have the Highest Suicide Rates?
If you're just trying to test the heaven hypothesis, purely for the purpose of gathering data, does it still count as suicide?

'Murican Canadian
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-03-2015, 08:42 PM
(31-03-2015 07:56 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(31-03-2015 12:16 PM)sharshabil Wrote:  no, i do know how to use the shift key, but i don't use it because i see no use in capitalising letters, and whoever doesn't like it can gfy, i honestly don't care much more than that my idea is conveyed clearly, i'm not into persecuting the details

Ah - so you're just being a self-obsessed tosser, then.

I mean, I guess that's your prerogative, but I cannot help but seriously question why you might have ever thought that would be in some way a good idea.

if you cancel the capitalisation, english would be simpler. same if you delete the letters c,x and i. i thought it would be a good idea just for the sake of simplicity and having everything follow a rule, english would be an even easier language if it made sense in every corner

to make it clear: i-->y (like we can change the way y is pronounced)
old y --> wi
headache-->headak (just as it spells)
chess -->tshess
ace --> ase
s to be placed wherever a c sound is pronounced, trase, tshess, tsheez, pronounce
z to be placed wherever a z sound is pronounced, az, bananaz,
blablabla
i thought i were the only one with this idea until i found something similar, link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English-lan...ing_reform
31-03-2015, 08:45 PM
May be better to follow the "when in Rome" rule.

Most people here post in English.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
31-03-2015, 09:04 PM
(31-03-2015 08:42 PM)sharshabil Wrote:  
(31-03-2015 07:56 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Ah - so you're just being a self-obsessed tosser, then.

I mean, I guess that's your prerogative, but I cannot help but seriously question why you might have ever thought that would be in some way a good idea.

if you cancel the capitalisation, english would be simpler. same if you delete the letters c,x and i. i thought it would be a good idea just for the sake of simplicity and having everything follow a rule, english would be an even easier language if it made sense in every corner

old y --> wi
chess -->tshess
ace --> ase
s to be placed wherever a c sound is pronounced, trase, tshess, tsheez, pronounce
blablabla
i thought i were the only one with this idea until i found something similar, link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English-lan...ing_reform

Yeah, sorry dude but to native English speakers some of those ideas are counter-intuitive. It's a complicated language for sure, I don't disagree there, but trying to simplify it would have the opposite effect.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
31-03-2015, 09:21 PM
(31-03-2015 08:42 PM)sharshabil Wrote:  
(31-03-2015 07:56 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Ah - so you're just being a self-obsessed tosser, then.

old y --> wi
chess -->tshess
ace --> ase
blablabla

English has more than 26 distinct sounds. Therefore the 26 character Latin alphabet cannot express all the sounds of spoken English perfectly and without ambiguity. Notwithstanding the issue of dialectal variation...

Not that that has anything to do with typography such as capitalisation - something entirely unrelated to correspondence between written and spoken modes. If you genuinely want to be as self-indulgently petty-minded as to refuse to follow the standard rules of English orthography, that is, as I said, your prerogative; I simply fail to see where that accomplishes anything.

... this is my signature!
31-03-2015, 09:22 PM
(31-03-2015 03:48 PM)sharshabil Wrote:  
(31-03-2015 03:05 PM)Dom Wrote:  That sounds like an interesting story. So how did you become atheist?

initially i used to think about "blasphemy" subjects that weren't acceptable as topics of discussion, like what if i pissed on the quran or launched a rocket at the ka'ba (the black building muslims walk around as pilgrimage). i used to hear stories about gawd fuckin up complete societies just for their lack of disbelief in him or sexual choices (like noah), and thought that disrespecting the quran is much more of a sin and deserves a more hostile response, but nothing happened. also there are stories in the quran about birds carrying stones on fire killing the shit out of people who were going to destroy the ka'ba, and it felt illogical that a rocket launched at it wouldn't get it to shreds on the ground. these were just as a beginning when i were very young 6 or 7 i guess, i remember also sitting on the fence and saying fuck god and nothing would happen. later on as i grew, i started to think about points of view, why does the quran carry so much against the jews, why christians wouldn't convert to islam, jews to christians, muslims to buddhists, it all backed up the idea that we didn't choose this, our societies did. also then to ethics about why does there need to be someone better than us (no, islam is not like christianity, you're not taught that god is your lover, rather someone who'll fry the shit out of you for listening to songs), naturally complete while we are born sinnable and we'll have to suffer the consequences, why so many things are allowed in christianity but banned in islam, like pork etc even though they're harmless. i can go on with this for ages, but in short, it's the same set of questions that logical reasoning would get a brain to consider once you let it function. one incident in particular had much effect on me: remember when some iraqi guy threw a shoe at the american president in a press conference? on some channel, they were showing interviews with random people from the streets asking them about their opinions about what happened. as someone growing up in a muslim society, where usa is "the greatest devil", i were applauding people who were saying that the iraqi journalist is a hero, but then someone said "the journalist deserved it, that's what you get when you insult a country's president" i got mad and told my mom that they should get this guy killed, but she objected, she said if i disagree with his views, it doesn't give me the right to disrespect him, these words got stuck in my mind and appealed to me to be true, then i started seeing that muslims all around were doing the very exact opposite of that, hate and disrespect for anyone who disagrees with their beliefs or views.

Thanks for sharing that.

Do you think that this is a happening a lot amongst the youth in your country?

(31-03-2015 05:58 PM)sharshabil Wrote:  
(31-03-2015 04:38 PM)ivaneus Wrote:  Hello sharshabil. I didn't get a response to my last comment. May I ask if this is still open for discussion? If yes, may i know if you still maintain that atheists have a higher suicide rate?

actually you convinced me, no sarcasm here: i thought of it and found that it's been a claim of weak basis.

That's one of the good things about TTA... one can throw up an idea and you get an explanation of the flaws or bias or misinformation from lots of different people with many perspectives.

Well done for acknowledging the process.

Cheers.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
31-03-2015, 09:23 PM
(31-03-2015 09:04 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(31-03-2015 08:42 PM)sharshabil Wrote:  if you cancel the capitalisation, english would be simpler. same if you delete the letters c,x and i. i thought it would be a good idea just for the sake of simplicity and having everything follow a rule, english would be an even easier language if it made sense in every corner

old y --> wi
chess -->tshess
ace --> ase
blablabla

Yeah, sorry dude but to native English speakers some of those ideas are counter-intuitive. It's a complicated language for sure, I don't disagree there, but trying to simplify it would have the opposite effect.

All languages have "counter-intuitive" rules. Being as they are greater than the petty whims of any single language user, they cannot help but be so.

I mean, even those examples don't make much sense. 'Ch' is a perfectly cromulent phoneme, whereas in his "correction" he's preserved a silent 'e' in "ace" but not in "headache", so it's not even consistent.

... this is my signature!
31-03-2015, 10:58 PM
(31-03-2015 04:08 PM)sharshabil Wrote:  
(31-03-2015 03:54 PM)morondog Wrote:  As it turns out, that *was* a very interesting read. Bravo!

dom asked for this, i replied, the end. it wasn't meant for you, if you don't like it either don't read it or gfy

Facepalm Yeah well, ya know... I guess us first language English speakers will just talk among ourselves with correct capitalisation then (and possibly correct spelling too). I was saying it was interesting, ya dolt. You sure are one prickly asshole.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
01-04-2015, 03:05 AM
(31-03-2015 10:58 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(31-03-2015 04:08 PM)sharshabil Wrote:  dom asked for this, i replied, the end. it wasn't meant for you, if you don't like it either don't read it or gfy

Facepalm Yeah well, ya know... I guess us first language English speakers will just talk among ourselves with correct capitalisation then (and possibly correct spelling too). I was saying it was interesting, ya dolt. You sure are one prickly asshole.

If I was him I would have left. He is an atheist coming from Islam, he has no one to bounce his thoughts off. He didn't know he was in the pit, and he promptly got attacked. His English is excellent beings he comes from a non-related language. Who cares what he capitalizes? I don't capitalize many things either. He had a thought, posted it and got feedback. He changed his mind about his own post, showing that he wants to think and grow. He is a thinking atheist who can use some friendship and feedback. Lets not forget what we are here for - to exchange thoughts with other atheists, helping all of us to think clearer.

I hope you will stick around, sharshabil, try staying away from the Viper's pit, it is here for people to argue. I am sorry you got attacked.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
01-04-2015, 03:16 AM
(01-04-2015 03:05 AM)Dom Wrote:  He is a thinking atheist who can use some friendship and feedback.

Got a funny way of showing it then eh? Dodgy You treat him nice then, and I'll be an asshole. Deal?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.