Why Do Christians Fear Atheist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-04-2017, 09:56 PM
It'd never made logical sense to me. I've spent days going around and around in my mind as to why people of the christian faith fear people who are atheist or even hate them!

I can remember my first met with someone of none faith meeting someone of faith. It was just strange to me how they seem so afraid of someone not having a faith! Like in their minds it wasn't possible to be anything but Christian.

If a Christians faith in unshakable, then why are they shaken my people of none faith?
How does it bother them if a person has no faith, nothing happens to them so why should it matter if their friend is atheist?
Why do they think they have to convert us? As stated above, their chances of heaven aren't deterred by my atheism, so what does it matter?
I'm not sick or anything, you talked to me before you found out I was atheist, and you didn't lose your faith, so why does it bother you now that I told you?
Why should I lie about my faith, or lack there of, for your sake? Nothing is going to happen to you if I'm in hell, so why get all upset?
Why are Christians so afraid of other religions? Aren't they about the same thing just different words and rules?

These questions plagued my mind when I was first discovering I didn't believe in God. And still the answers I get lead to more questions. Logic and Religion, mostly Christians in the US, don't mix.

"Governments don't want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking That is against their interests.
They want obedient workers people who are just smart enough to run the machines and do the paperwork And just dumb enough to passively accept it."

- George Carlin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like Ruby Crystal's post
27-04-2017, 10:10 PM
RE: Why Do Christians Fear Atheist?
(27-04-2017 09:56 PM)Ruby Crystal Wrote:  It'd never made logical sense to me. I've spent days going around and around in my mind as to why people of the christian faith fear people who are atheist or even hate them!

I can remember my first met with someone of none faith meeting someone of faith. It was just strange to me how they seem so afraid of someone not having a faith! Like in their minds it wasn't possible to be anything but Christian.

If a Christians faith in unshakable, then why are they shaken my people of none faith?
How does it bother them if a person has no faith, nothing happens to them so why should it matter if their friend is atheist?
Why do they think they have to convert us? As stated above, their chances of heaven aren't deterred by my atheism, so what does it matter?
I'm not sick or anything, you talked to me before you found out I was atheist, and you didn't lose your faith, so why does it bother you now that I told you?
Why should I lie about my faith, or lack there of, for your sake? Nothing is going to happen to you if I'm in hell, so why get all upset?
Why are Christians so afraid of other religions? Aren't they about the same thing just different words and rules?

These questions plagued my mind when I was first discovering I didn't believe in God. And still the answers I get lead to more questions. Logic and Religion, mostly Christians in the US, don't mix.

First problem is you are trying to apply logic to religion. That doesn't work and because their religion is the one true religion and their religion tasks them to convert others. They are brainwashed into thinking it's their job to make sure everyone believes in what they do and if they don't then they are bad.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 7 users Like JDog554's post
27-04-2017, 10:15 PM
I think that for people who have been raised in a mostly Christian environment, they are often either not told about non-Christians, or else are given a charicature idea of some evil demon. (This is hopefully on the decline now, especially with the internet making those insular environments harder to maintain).

If you've never even been previously aware of atheists, I can see how it could represent a fundamental threat to beliefs that you hold to be incredibly important. We can easily naturally tend towards tribalism, and launch pre-emptive attacks on those we perceive as "different". We see it all the time with playground bullying. I've experienced this continually over lots of issues. Also, not attacking and being repulsed by the outsider can be seen as weakness by other members of the group.

Many Christians are also raised to be evangelical, so that their first reaction when meeting a non-believer is to try and pull them into the fold. Even if they fail, they feel like they're earning points.

Having never been religious this is my attempt to put myself in their shoes. There's probably lots more to it, but I think tribalism accounts for an awful lot of it. Since atheists are not a club, and aren't raised to re-affirm each other's atheism, I guess it's less of an issue the other way around.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 6 users Like Robvalue's post
27-04-2017, 10:28 PM
(27-04-2017 09:56 PM)Ruby Crystal Wrote:  It'd never made logical sense to me. I've spent days going around and around in my mind as to why people of the christian faith fear people who are atheist or even hate them!

Christians believe that all morality flows from god. In their minds, at least, they think that for atheists, no god = no morality = anything goes. Sometimes people look at me as if they think I am about to murder them. It's frightening to me to consider that to Christians the only thing standing between them and a life of debauchery and mass murder is the unproven belief in a deity.

I've shared this story on the Introductions thread or maybe the Amazon Refugee thread, so I won't repeat it here. But I've been assaulted due to the simple and innocuous presence of a bumper sticker on my car which merely says "ATHEIST." That's it. Nothing else. A Christian fanatic thought that he could earn brownie points from Jesus if he hit me in the face while I was loading groceries into my car in full view of my children. It's a sad fact that Christians fail to realize that their zealotry is the true menace and not our lack of belief.
[+] 8 users Like Rachel's post
27-04-2017, 10:30 PM
I think that arrogance masquerading as humility is another reason. "I mean come on, have you ever seen a sunset? That is solid proof of my god." I think some of it also stems from being told that they can do nothing without some supernatural spook behind the scenes.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 3 users Like The Organic Chemist's post
27-04-2017, 10:36 PM
(27-04-2017 10:28 PM)Rachel Wrote:  

Christians believe that all morality flows from god. In their minds, at least, they think that for atheists, no god = no morality = anything goes. Sometimes people look at me as if they think I am about to murder them. It's frightening to me to consider that to Christians the only thing standing between them and a life of debauchery and mass murder is the unproven belief in a deity.

I've shared this story on the Introductions thread or maybe the Amazon Refugee thread, so I won't repeat it here. But I've been assaulted due to the simple and innocuous presence of a bumper sticker on my car which merely says "ATHEIST." That's it. Nothing else. A Christian fanatic thought that he could earn brownie points from Jesus if he hit me in the face while I was loading groceries into my car in full view of my children. It's a sad fact that Christians fail to realize that their zealotry is the true menace and not our lack of belief.

That's a very good point. What they don't realize is the entirely circular nature of their thinking. Christian morality is "good", because it comes from God, which is "good". Anything that isn't part of Christian morality must therefor be "bad". But you could reverse these labels. They are meaningless.

This is part of the demonization I was referring to.

The thing I don't get is the need for the religious zealot to get involved. If I'm sitting here sinning against God or whatever, but not hurting anyone else, surely that's between me and him. Surely he can handle dishing out any retribution he sees fit without some thuggish busybody trying to make my life uncomfortable in the meantime. It's a giveaway that I'm actually offending them, and not their God. Their willingness to act on his behalf also shows how God is just a part of the believer.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
[+] 2 users Like Robvalue's post
27-04-2017, 10:37 PM

~ The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you ~
-Neil Degrasse Tyson
[Image: stairway_to_heaven_by_tomtr.png]
~ 0 ~
27-04-2017, 11:49 PM
Many more primitive forms of religion actively demonize atheism. It is one of the weapons in the Christian arsenal to try to prevent people from drifting into atheism, when they start contemplating the claims made about the existence of God and drifting away from Christianity. Living here in Texas, belt buckle of the Bible belt, I have observed this at first hand over decades now. It is an attitude that is actively promulgated and infects millions.

When I shake my ignore file, I can hear them buzzing!

Cheerful Charlie
[+] 4 users Like Cheerful Charlie's post
28-04-2017, 12:43 AM
(27-04-2017 10:15 PM)Robvalue Wrote:  I think that for people who have been raised in a mostly Christian environment, they are often either not told about non-Christians, or else are given a charicature idea of some evil demon. (This is hopefully on the decline now, especially with the internet making those insular environments harder to maintain).

If you've never even been previously aware of atheists, I can see how it could represent a fundamental threat to beliefs that you hold to be incredibly important. We can easily naturally tend towards tribalism, and launch pre-emptive attacks on those we perceive as "different". We see it all the time with playground bullying. I've experienced this continually over lots of issues. Also, not attacking and being repulsed by the outsider can be seen as weakness by other members of the group.

Many Christians are also raised to be evangelical, so that their first reaction when meeting a non-believer is to try and pull them into the fold. Even if they fail, they feel like they're earning points.

Having never been religious this is my attempt to put myself in their shoes. There's probably lots more to it, but I think tribalism accounts for an awful lot of it. Since atheists are not a club, and aren't raised to re-affirm each other's atheism, I guess it's less of an issue the other way around.

Rob, they are told about "unbelievers." They get the demonized Satan worshiping version of it, but even still there's another force at work. I was an unbeliever in an isolated christian environment. I didn't know there was such a thing as other unbelievers. I mean, I hoped there was, but there was no way of telling and I had no experience of such a thing, if only I had been allowed to see more of Carl Sagan (now I know why he mysteriously was no longer played in our home lol, I think I saw him one time and thought he was amazing but once my parents learned about him they never put him on again). To me Atheist didn't actually exist in reality... Just like bed bugs, it was an old wives tale (Incidentally I now know bed bugs exist too, which was a horrifying experience for me when I found out.. the hard way lol)

What I'm trying to say is, if you are never exposed to something... you aren't prepared to face it. They prolly fear the unknown element of Atheists as much as they fear the evil boogyman stories they've been told. Just like they fear the "unknown" of death (which is silly cause we all know exactly what death is like, we were all dead before we were born. Same damn thing lol).

They see other religions, so they are better prepared to deal with them. But with Atheists they got their heads so deep up their collective asses that any sign of daylight is terrifying.

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
[+] 4 users Like JesseB's post
28-04-2017, 12:46 AM
I see yeah, that makes a lot of sense. That must have been awful to feel like the only sane one in the world.