Why Do Christians Fear Atheist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-04-2017, 02:49 AM
RE: Why Do Christians Fear Atheist?
It depends on the person and how literally they take their religion.

I know people who believe, but my atheism isn't a factor in our friendship. Whilst others I've met take Christianity almost literally, and thus me being a "non-believer" somehow makes be like a strange outsider who might be up to something evil or something. A good example of this is my ex's mother, who was devout catholic. She asked me "so what church do you belong to?", I replied "none, I don't have a religion that I follow", she informed me "so you're a satanist then?", and despite my efforts to advise her that to believe in Satan, I'd have to believe in God...which I don't believe in either of...she wouldn't have it and just thought of me as pure evil after that first meeting. She wasn't a very nice person either, so maybe those two things go hand in hand.

Although personally, I think that those that do find us a "threat" of some kind, is because they know we're right. Like deep down inside themselves, it makes them start to question things, when they've been told their whole lives "never question the lord!" and blame us for making them think about stuff.

I don't want Fop, goddamn it! I'm a Dapper Dan man!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like OakTree500's post
28-04-2017, 04:25 AM
I believe most US christians don't like atheists because they're told they shouldn't like atheists. It's part of the package. They say they're christian because they're supposed to say that. They don't hold many strong beliefs, they just go with the pack. If god had never been invented they'd be just the same, drinking beer, watching baseball, cheating on their spouses. It's a flaccid, unproductive life, and most people around the world live the same way.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
28-04-2017, 04:45 AM
My own cynical, and completely unscientific, impression is that they can't imagine living without the security blanket and the existence of somebody who can is a threat to their self-worth.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
28-04-2017, 05:16 AM
(28-04-2017 04:45 AM)unfogged Wrote:  My own cynical, and completely unscientific, impression is that they can't imagine living without the security blanket and the existence of somebody who can is a threat to their self-worth.

My observations would tend to suggest that is too complex a thought for them.
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post
28-04-2017, 05:22 AM
(28-04-2017 05:16 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  
(28-04-2017 04:45 AM)unfogged Wrote:  My own cynical, and completely unscientific, impression is that they can't imagine living without the security blanket and the existence of somebody who can is a threat to their self-worth.

My observations would tend to suggest that is too complex a thought for them.

I don't think it's a conscious thought; it's more of a lizard-brain thing

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
28-04-2017, 05:22 AM
(27-04-2017 09:56 PM)Ruby Crystal Wrote:  It'd never made logical sense to me. I've spent days going around and around in my mind as to why people of the christian faith fear people who are atheist or even hate them!

I can remember my first met with someone of none faith meeting someone of faith. It was just strange to me how they seem so afraid of someone not having a faith! Like in their minds it wasn't possible to be anything but Christian.

If a Christians faith in unshakable, then why are they shaken my people of none faith?
How does it bother them if a person has no faith, nothing happens to them so why should it matter if their friend is atheist?
Why do they think they have to convert us? As stated above, their chances of heaven aren't deterred by my atheism, so what does it matter?
I'm not sick or anything, you talked to me before you found out I was atheist, and you didn't lose your faith, so why does it bother you now that I told you?
Why should I lie about my faith, or lack there of, for your sake? Nothing is going to happen to you if I'm in hell, so why get all upset?
Why are Christians so afraid of other religions? Aren't they about the same thing just different words and rules?

These questions plagued my mind when I was first discovering I didn't believe in God. And still the answers I get lead to more questions. Logic and Religion, mostly Christians in the US, don't mix.

> I think, to most Christians, atheists are the personification of all their religious doubts and fears. I have had many encounters over the years with Christians who have regarded me with immediate hostility when they found out that I'm a confident atheist.
[+] 4 users Like Gwaithmir's post
28-04-2017, 05:29 AM
(28-04-2017 05:22 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(28-04-2017 05:16 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  My observations would tend to suggest that is too complex a thought for them.

I don't think it's a conscious thought; it's more of a lizard-brain thing

I can't get lizards to watch twelve hours of American football in one sitting. Facepalm
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post
28-04-2017, 05:30 AM
(28-04-2017 05:22 AM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  
(27-04-2017 09:56 PM)Ruby Crystal Wrote:  It'd never made logical sense to me. I've spent days going around and around in my mind as to why people of the christian faith fear people who are atheist or even hate them!

I can remember my first met with someone of none faith meeting someone of faith. It was just strange to me how they seem so afraid of someone not having a faith! Like in their minds it wasn't possible to be anything but Christian.

If a Christians faith in unshakable, then why are they shaken my people of none faith?
How does it bother them if a person has no faith, nothing happens to them so why should it matter if their friend is atheist?
Why do they think they have to convert us? As stated above, their chances of heaven aren't deterred by my atheism, so what does it matter?
I'm not sick or anything, you talked to me before you found out I was atheist, and you didn't lose your faith, so why does it bother you now that I told you?
Why should I lie about my faith, or lack there of, for your sake? Nothing is going to happen to you if I'm in hell, so why get all upset?
Why are Christians so afraid of other religions? Aren't they about the same thing just different words and rules?

These questions plagued my mind when I was first discovering I didn't believe in God. And still the answers I get lead to more questions. Logic and Religion, mostly Christians in the US, don't mix.

> I think, to most Christians, atheists are the personification of all their religious doubts and fears. I have had many encounters over the years with Christians who have regarded me with immediate hostility when they found out that I'm a confident atheist.
My cousins have told me it would be alright with God if they killed me so that I could find out I was wrong. I've abused enough of them that they actually try this.
28-04-2017, 05:32 AM
(28-04-2017 12:43 AM)JesseB Wrote:  
(27-04-2017 10:15 PM)Robvalue Wrote:  I think that for people who have been raised in a mostly Christian environment, they are often either not told about non-Christians, or else are given a charicature idea of some evil demon. (This is hopefully on the decline now, especially with the internet making those insular environments harder to maintain).

If you've never even been previously aware of atheists, I can see how it could represent a fundamental threat to beliefs that you hold to be incredibly important. We can easily naturally tend towards tribalism, and launch pre-emptive attacks on those we perceive as "different". We see it all the time with playground bullying. I've experienced this continually over lots of issues. Also, not attacking and being repulsed by the outsider can be seen as weakness by other members of the group.

Many Christians are also raised to be evangelical, so that their first reaction when meeting a non-believer is to try and pull them into the fold. Even if they fail, they feel like they're earning points.

Having never been religious this is my attempt to put myself in their shoes. There's probably lots more to it, but I think tribalism accounts for an awful lot of it. Since atheists are not a club, and aren't raised to re-affirm each other's atheism, I guess it's less of an issue the other way around.

Rob, they are told about "unbelievers." They get the demonized Satan worshiping version of it, but even still there's another force at work. I was an unbeliever in an isolated christian environment. I didn't know there was such a thing as other unbelievers. I mean, I hoped there was, but there was no way of telling and I had no experience of such a thing, if only I had been allowed to see more of Carl Sagan (now I know why he mysteriously was no longer played in our home lol, I think I saw him one time and thought he was amazing but once my parents learned about him they never put him on again). To me Atheist didn't actually exist in reality... Just like bed bugs, it was an old wives tale (Incidentally I now know bed bugs exist too, which was a horrifying experience for me when I found out.. the hard way lol)

What I'm trying to say is, if you are never exposed to something... you aren't prepared to face it. They prolly fear the unknown element of Atheists as much as they fear the evil boogyman stories they've been told. Just like they fear the "unknown" of death (which is silly cause we all know exactly what death is like, we were all dead before we were born. Same damn thing lol).

They see other religions, so they are better prepared to deal with them. But with Atheists they got their heads so deep up their collective asses that any sign of daylight is terrifying.

This is the kind of things that are said about atheists from the pulpit:

We are the enemy and you are not to even be around atheists.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post
28-04-2017, 05:32 AM
I would say that they are......
(Deletes long ass pointless post)
Stupid !!

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post