Why Do Christians Fear Atheist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-04-2017, 05:39 AM
RE: Why Do Christians Fear Atheist?
Religion is an intensifier. For people with a strong instinct to exclude out groups and protect their own resources, religion helps mark the limits of their tribe. It gives a rationale--an imperative--to support kindness to coreligionists. But it also gives a rationale to turn the tribe's back on outsiders. Plenty of bible verses encourage christians to exclude nonbelievers.

Religion is an intensifier. For people with a strong attraction to novelty outside the tribe, religion helps expand the tribe. It gives an imperative to seek outsiders and bring them in. Plenty of bible verses encourage christians to welcome nonbelievers.

Therefore, IMO,a Christian's reaction to an atheist tells you more about the person than the faith. One exception, and that's the first couple of encounters, when the Christian is operating off of whatever stereotypes about nonbelievers have been taught by the church.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like julep's post
28-04-2017, 06:16 AM
(27-04-2017 09:56 PM)Ruby Crystal Wrote:  It'd never made logical sense to me. I've spent days going around and around in my mind as to why people of the christian faith fear people who are atheist or even hate them!

I can remember my first met with someone of none faith meeting someone of faith. It was just strange to me how they seem so afraid of someone not having a faith! Like in their minds it wasn't possible to be anything but Christian.

If a Christians faith in unshakable, then why are they shaken my people of none faith?
How does it bother them if a person has no faith, nothing happens to them so why should it matter if their friend is atheist?
Why do they think they have to convert us? As stated above, their chances of heaven aren't deterred by my atheism, so what does it matter?
I'm not sick or anything, you talked to me before you found out I was atheist, and you didn't lose your faith, so why does it bother you now that I told you?
Why should I lie about my faith, or lack there of, for your sake? Nothing is going to happen to you if I'm in hell, so why get all upset?
Why are Christians so afraid of other religions? Aren't they about the same thing just different words and rules?

These questions plagued my mind when I was first discovering I didn't believe in God. And still the answers I get lead to more questions. Logic and Religion, mostly Christians in the US, don't mix.

It is a dead giveaway of the anti-conceptual mentality. It occurs in non-religious contexts too. It is unable to deal with the "other" or those not of the tribe.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
28-04-2017, 06:19 AM
I don't hate atheists and never have?

(28-04-2017 05:32 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  This is the kind of things that are said about atheists from the pulpit:

We are the enemy and you are not to even be around atheists.

"An agenda toward atheism". The people going "yeah" are driving me nuts. But but but...video guy, no one is saying the world was created out of nothing (well except you, if we look at Genesis, since you're promoting literalism). But evolution is a fact. Also he's never heard of the abiogenesis hypothesis apparently.

Wait...2015? Wtf at it being this recent. "The world exploded from nothing." What? "Those people [evolutionary biologists and astrophyscists] are only philosophizing about the origin of the species. We got its origin right here" *holds up Bible*. Well then...that was a...special...almost 6 minutes.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Shai Hulud's post
28-04-2017, 06:29 AM
(28-04-2017 06:19 AM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  I don't hate atheists and never have?

(28-04-2017 05:32 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  This is the kind of things that are said about atheists from the pulpit:

We are the enemy and you are not to even be around atheists.

"An agenda toward atheism". The people going "yeah" are driving me nuts. But but but...video guy, no one is saying the world was created out of nothing (well except you, if we look at Genesis, since you're promoting literalism). But evolution is a fact. Also he's never heard of the abiogenesis hypothesis apparently.

Wait...2015? Wtf at it being this recent. "The world exploded from nothing." What? "Those people [evolutionary biologists and astrophyscists] are only philosophizing about the origin of the species. We got its origin right here" *holds up Bible*. Well then...that was a...special...almost 6 minutes.

Glad you were able to summarize it, I don't think I had the patience to sit through that whole rant.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 3 users Like TheInquisition's post
28-04-2017, 06:39 AM
(27-04-2017 09:56 PM)Ruby Crystal Wrote:  It'd never made logical sense to me. I've spent days going around and around in my mind as to why people of the christian faith fear people who are atheist or even hate them!

I think you can trace the hatred of atheists back to theistic holy books. Both the Bible and the Qur'an go on and on about how wonderful belief is and how awful disbelief is.
[+] 4 users Like Thoreauvian's post
28-04-2017, 06:44 AM
(28-04-2017 06:39 AM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  

I think you can trace the hatred of atheists back to theistic holy books. Both the Bible and the Qur'an go on and on about how wonderful belief is and how awful disbelief is.

> When I was a senior in Catholic high school, my religious instructor, a priest, frequently used the words "atheist" and "Communist" interchangeably. Dodgy
[+] 4 users Like Gwaithmir's post
28-04-2017, 06:53 AM
I really warn anyone of any label not to fall for this singling out one label.

Instead of saying why do "insert label here"

The better thing to do is view human behavior through evolution with a global historical view.

Humans are social animals, we evolved by forming groups, and those groups seek resources and any competition from an outsider is seen as a threat to control over those resources.

Unfortunately 150,000 years ago long before any first writings or cities, early humans didn't have our modern understanding of evolution. When we started early writings we made very bad guesses at the nature of reality, but those bad guesses also had a real benefit of group safety in numbers. It is why the ancient Egyptians were successful for 3,000 years centered around gods that did not exist.

Humans worldwide mostly adapt the religions of their parents, not just Christians. Humans of any group think mostly locally and defend that which they are familiar with. Even outside the issue of religion, for example, I can tell you having an X wife who is Japanese, while their population loves guests, it his hard for someone not Japanese to migrate and marry into most families. She hates being mistaken for South Korean or Chinese.

I can also tell you having worked with both Mexicans and Cubans and Puerto Rico they also dont like it when you confuse them.

I will give you this though, with any religion, Christianity, Buddhism, Jew, Islam Sikh and Hindu, religions do cause people not to see beyond their own label far too much, even with well intended liberals.

Keep in mind science has only been widely available to more for the past century, and has really only exploded over the past 50 years. Old habits die hard. There are conservative Jews and conservative Buddhists and conservative Muslims and conservative Sikhs and Hindus too.

As much as I love Japan, even they are later in support of LGBT than America, just last year was their first prefecture to allow for same sex marriage.

Humans simply don't like their social orders upset.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
[+] 5 users Like Brian37's post
28-04-2017, 07:55 AM
RE: Why Do Christians Fear Atheists?
(28-04-2017 06:53 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  Humans simply don't like their social orders upset.

All well and good, but by itself that still doesn't explain the special animus theists have against atheists, above and beyond their wariness of people from other social communities and religions. After all, many atheists are from Christian communities and are almost interchangeable with Christians in many ways.
[+] 1 user Likes Thoreauvian's post
28-04-2017, 08:42 AM
(28-04-2017 06:44 AM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  
(28-04-2017 06:39 AM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  I think you can trace the hatred of atheists back to theistic holy books. Both the Bible and the Qur'an go on and on about how wonderful belief is and how awful disbelief is.

> When I was a senior in Catholic high school, my religious instructor, a priest, frequently used the words "atheist" and "Communist" interchangeably. Dodgy

That's rogic in action. (Rogic is religious logic, and is not to be confused with actual logic.)
[+] 3 users Like Gawdzilla's post
28-04-2017, 08:52 AM
From my experience in church, atheists were painted so evil because they would do Satan's work of "planting doubt".

Which is, funny enough, true. The problem is, it's not an evil thing. And now on the other side I can see that many don't want people talking with atheists because they will actually challenge their beliefs instead of the weak stuff they try to do in church. And your average Christians is woefully prepared for this because most seem to believe just based on the cookie cutter stuff they've been fed.
[+] 4 users Like ResidentEvilFan's post