Why Do Christians Fear Atheist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-04-2017, 09:09 AM
RE: Why Do Christians Fear Atheist?
(28-04-2017 08:52 AM)ResidentEvilFan Wrote:  From my experience in church, atheists were painted so evil because they would do Satan's work of "planting doubt".

Which is, funny enough, true. The problem is, it's not an evil thing. And now on the other side I can see that many don't want people talking with atheists because they will actually challenge their beliefs instead of the weak stuff they try to do in church. And your average Christians is woefully prepared for this because most seem to believe just based on the cookie cutter stuff they've been fed.

And doubt is dangerous because belief is weak.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Gawdzilla's post
28-04-2017, 09:20 AM
(28-04-2017 07:55 AM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  
(28-04-2017 06:53 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  Humans simply don't like their social orders upset.

All well and good, but by itself that still doesn't explain the special animus theists have against atheists, above and beyond their wariness of people from other social communities and religions. After all, many atheists are from Christian communities and are almost interchangeable with Christians in many ways.

Yes it does. If you want to reduce the bigotry between groups don't ignore the scientific evolutionary psychology of how false perceptions lead to group think.

Religion IS merely an artificial construct reflecting our real evolutionary grouping. When you accept that, you understand WHY bad claims lead to bad actions, and why religions are used to justify harm to others.

Our species behaviors are not in a label. There is not one nation, friend or foe that does not have prisons or hospitals. Labels, not even the word "atheist" has the magic power of making the individual holding that position only do good.

Our species behaviors are not in the words "Christian" or "Buddhist" or "Hindu" or"Muslim" or "Jew" not even "atheist" ect ect.... Our species ability to be cruel or compassionate, to seek cooperation or use force, are in our genes, in our evolution.

Humans mistakenly, INCLUDING ATHEISTS, think a word has magic powers.

Every religion can point to their writings and heros and holy people that portray empathy, sharing and compassion. That says to me that our good is in us. It is not handed down to us from a god or divine otherworld.

There are decent humans worldwide, YES. I simply don't agree that our good is coming from a label, but is in our behaviors. We can also see acts of compassion and cruelty in other primates, within their troops and against rival troops.

We also know for example, the female lioness will group to protect cubs, even if not theirs, that is life displaying compassion. On the other hand, the male lion will seek to kill any cub that is not of their sperm. Male zebras will also kill any young that is not theirs. The female will try to defend it, watch it get murdered then after the male thinks it's dead or is dead, when it leaves, she will nuzzle it hoping it will get back up even if dead.

I certainly CAN have lots in common with any theist, sure. I like liberals empathy on issues of minorities, standard of living, yes, but I simply don't assign any good or bad to magic, superstition or religion.

Our species morality is in our genes, not in an artificial club, even if that club creates a real group. The ancient Egyptians were successful for 3,000 years centered around very false beliefs about god/s that never existed.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
[+] 1 user Likes Brian37's post
28-04-2017, 10:17 AM
I live in a very small—predominantly Christian—rural town, and from a personal standpoint, I've not once encountered even the slightest antipathy directed at me simply because of my very public atheism. From what I've read here, things seem to be vastly different in most US states as far as religious tolerance, or lack thereof, goes, than in Australia.

As an example, Mississippi has a Christian population of 63% [2015] versus NSW in Australia with 47.4% [2011]. Each of these figures is for the most religious state in each country. The most common "belief" category is no religion in five out of the 8 Australian states, or 62.5%.

At any rate, Aussies are such slackarses that even our so-called Christians are virtually indistinguishable from the atheists LOL.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like SYZ's post
28-04-2017, 10:23 AM
(27-04-2017 09:56 PM)Ruby Crystal Wrote:  It'd never made logical sense to me. I've spent days going around and around in my mind as to why people of the christian faith fear people who are atheist or even hate them!

I can remember my first met with someone of none faith meeting someone of faith. It was just strange to me how they seem so afraid of someone not having a faith! Like in their minds it wasn't possible to be anything but Christian.

If a Christians faith in unshakable, then why are they shaken my people of none faith?
How does it bother them if a person has no faith, nothing happens to them so why should it matter if their friend is atheist?
Why do they think they have to convert us? As stated above, their chances of heaven aren't deterred by my atheism, so what does it matter?
I'm not sick or anything, you talked to me before you found out I was atheist, and you didn't lose your faith, so why does it bother you now that I told you?
Why should I lie about my faith, or lack there of, for your sake? Nothing is going to happen to you if I'm in hell, so why get all upset?
Why are Christians so afraid of other religions? Aren't they about the same thing just different words and rules?

These questions plagued my mind when I was first discovering I didn't believe in God. And still the answers I get lead to more questions. Logic and Religion, mostly Christians in the US, don't mix.

I'll sum it up in simple terms. Christians fear Atheists for one simple reason. There is nothing more dangerous to a Christian than an informed Atheist. Simple as that. If there were a way to "rationalize" with anyone of any belief system there would be no more belief.

I usually post this video as it sums up pretty well (and a well written script) exactly what is the predisposition between believers and non believers. But this dialogue delivers.

And on a side note.... Most of my friends are Christian. Living in the South in the middle of the bible belt I'm somewhat alone in my views. I'm okay with that and my true friends are okay with that also. Very seldom does anyone try to convert me.

I get to decide what my life looks like, not the other way around.
[+] 6 users Like RearViewMirror's post
28-04-2017, 10:58 AM (This post was last modified: 28-04-2017 11:18 AM by kim.)
Because ...
there's us and there's them.

And there is always that thing, the thing which always brings us together with them, and it must always be prepared for. For this thing, they have to be different - no matter how human they seem, they have to be viewed as something to fear.

One can not fight what one does not fear.

'Onward Christian soldier
Marching as to war
With the cross of Jesus
Going on before'

Tribalism: the paridigm of millennia.

Wouldn't it be something to teach an old dog a new trick?
Even better ...what if the old dog could suddenly teach itself a new trick?
Maybe not even a new trick. Maybe the trick had been there all the time, simply neglected ... or maybe developing ... evolving.
Maybe the dog evolves alongside the trick.

The universe is a big cold place and no one wants to be left in it, alone.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
28-04-2017, 11:12 AM
It's also the same reason many Christians paint atheists as "angry at God" or "want to rebel against God because they don't like being told they are wrong" or "just want to keep sinning"; it's a rationalization to help THEM deal with the fact there exists people that don't believe like they do and their lives are completely fine.

Again going back to my church experiences, most don't even really know what an atheist actually is; they honestly think atheists are people who believe in god but are just willfully disobeying him.
[+] 1 user Likes ResidentEvilFan's post
28-04-2017, 11:18 AM (This post was last modified: 28-04-2017 02:22 PM by Shai Hulud.)
(28-04-2017 06:29 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  
(28-04-2017 06:19 AM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  I don't hate atheists and never have?

"An agenda toward atheism". The people going "yeah" are driving me nuts. But but but...video guy, no one is saying the world was created out of nothing (well except you, if we look at Genesis, since you're promoting literalism). But evolution is a fact. Also he's never heard of the abiogenesis hypothesis apparently.

Wait...2015? Wtf at it being this recent. "The world exploded from nothing." What? "Those people [evolutionary biologists and astrophyscists] are only philosophizing about the origin of the species. We got its origin right here" *holds up Bible*. Well then...that was a...special...almost 6 minutes.

Glad you were able to summarize it, I don't think I had the patience to sit through that whole rant.
It was not easy. I thought it was some 'vintage' preacher, until he said the "in the year 2015". Facepalm

(28-04-2017 06:44 AM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  
(28-04-2017 06:39 AM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  I think you can trace the hatred of atheists back to theistic holy books. Both the Bible and the Qur'an go on and on about how wonderful belief is and how awful disbelief is.

> When I was a senior in Catholic high school, my religious instructor, a priest, frequently used the words "atheist" and "Communist" interchangeably. Dodgy

Was that a product of the Red Scare/Cold War period as much as religion you think? (And guessing this priest would not be a fan of Liberation Theology.)

Edit: Changed "produce" to "product". Is the semester over yet?

Need to think of a witty signature.
[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post
28-04-2017, 12:41 PM
When I was young I didn't even know (or not sure) is not believing was an option. So any hate towards non believes just didn't exist for me. To my mind everyone was Catholic just some people didn't understand it like we did or felt they had a different road to get to the same god.

I do recall years ago having a light conversation with my mother about religion. And at the time I considered myself an agnostic. And remember telling my mother that I was. Her response was "At least your not an atheist. "

It's a conversation I've been trying to have with my wife. (A christian) but she's very resistant to direct questions. Mostly because she's never been challenged with questions before. Everyone just Bob's their heads up and down when it comes to there religions.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
28-04-2017, 12:55 PM
(28-04-2017 10:17 AM)SYZ Wrote:  I live in a very small—predominantly Christian—rural town, and from a personal standpoint, I've not once encountered even the slightest antipathy directed at me simply because of my very public atheism. From what I've read here, things seem to be vastly different in most US states as far as religious tolerance, or lack thereof, goes, than in Australia.

As an example, Mississippi has a Christian population of 63% [2015] versus NSW in Australia with 47.4% [2011]. Each of these figures is for the most religious state in each country. The most common "belief" category is no religion in five out of the 8 Australian states, or 62.5%.

At any rate, Aussies are such slackarses that even our so-called Christians are virtually indistinguishable from the atheists LOL.

It is wrong to take a small sample of ANYTHING and equate it to the entirety of a bigger picture.

In scientific method you have a wide sample rate with control groups to compare to. So while you say that particular community does not, that does not mean others don't behave like dicks. That is geographical, on top of maybe the reason they don't bitch that much is because currently they don't feel their majority status being threatened.

"Where I live" is not an argument on a planet of 7 billion. In other places you would not observe the same thing. And even in the context of time, the further back you go the more barbaric antiquity was.

There has never been in our species history ever, a completely violence free religion. So when you say "they don't do that", two issues you need to consider. Yes, THEY but they does not equate to the entirety of our species. And "they" only refers to now. Times change and power shifts over time, dormant now does not mean dormant forever.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
28-04-2017, 01:03 PM
Because deep down I think most of them realize, whether they'll admit it or not, that they're playing a cognitive dissonance game - willing themselves into accepting as normal a set of ideas that they know makes no practical sense whatsoever. They're perhaps less fearful of Jews, Muslims, Buddhists or what have you because while they may be playing for a different team they're at least still playing the same game. We don't play at all. And moreover - beyond simply not playing we put ourselves to useful practical purposes, like being fucking scientists and solving actual fucking problems with real fucking knowledge. We're the ones gradually shrinking the ever-receding pocket of ignorance within which their god resides.
[+] 5 users Like Mr. Boston's post