Why Do Christians Fear Atheist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-04-2017, 07:48 PM
RE: Why Do Christians Fear Atheist?
Yeah, I hear the tribalism answer a lot, but that doesn't explain the rabidness of the hatred. Christians don't hate Hindus or Muslims to the same degree as atheists. I think whoever said it was right, it's a lizard brain thing. Just like the hatred directed towards homosexuals, somehow being an atheist presses some recessed button in the believer's mind and makes them go ape shit.

On the plus side, at least they are no longer burning us at the stake.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like big green mouth's post
28-04-2017, 08:39 PM
A misguided fear of a belief statement instead of a fear in people.
28-04-2017, 08:47 PM
people like to see themselves as reasoning and logical, despite all that baggage of faith.
When someone applies those tools to debunk their faith, they resent that.
[+] 2 users Like skyking's post
29-04-2017, 03:48 PM
Why Do Christians Fear Atheist?
I think it bothers them because some religious folks put so much work into religion. Time, money, effort, fake smiles, etc. And then they see us, the happy heathens going through life with literally zero use for any and all that "Religious stuff". So that resentment leads to jealousy. And jealousy leads to hate. Then hate leads to the dark side. Or something like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[+] 4 users Like treefireguy's post
29-04-2017, 05:39 PM
(29-04-2017 03:48 PM)treefireguy Wrote:  I think it bothers them because some religious folks put so much work into religion. Time, money, effort, fake smiles, etc. And then they see us, the happy heathens going through life with literally zero use for any and all that "Religious stuff". So that resentment leads to jealousy. And jealousy leads to hate. Then hate leads to the dark side. Or something like that.
Yes, that's a valid point; there is an element of sour grapes in there. One reaction to the notion of simply rejecting the axioms and baseless assertions of religious faith is that it's cheating; it's not a level playing field if everyone isn't burdened with the same obligations and assumptions. Also, there's the sting of the inherent implication that you're a chump if you aren't skeptical.

People (and not just theists) have the same sort of visceral reaction to suicides; it's the coward's way out. The suicide is done with the travails of the living, leaving the still-living holding the bag as it were. Of course there's an element of truth with respect to their immediate family and others who were counting / dependent on them, but even total strangers take umbrage as if it's personal, and totally discount the pain that motivates the act, as if it didn't exist or doesn't matter. And many have the same reaction even to rational suicide, or deny that there is such a thing.

Both apostasy and suicide also violate a doctrine of "unthinkableness" that is felt to be a direct assault on society, as if it's all based on a shared fiction similar to a child cowering under a blanket in the belief that it will protect them from the monster under the bed. The adult that tells them there's no monster, who sleeps uncovered and with one food dangling over the edge with no anxiety at all -- that is an affront to what occupies so much of their awareness and defines so much of their reality.
[+] 3 users Like mordant's post
29-04-2017, 06:39 PM
Imo Christians fear us because deep down in the small part of their mind unobscured by bullshit they secretly all know that their religion doesn't make any sense and atheists are the living embodiment of this, and they don't like being faced with it.
[+] 4 users Like adey67's post
29-04-2017, 06:43 PM
(29-04-2017 06:39 PM)adey67 Wrote:  Imo Christians fear us because deep down in the small part of their mind unobscured by bullshit they secretly all know that their religion doesn't make any sense and atheists are the living embodiment of this, and they don't like being faced with it.
One of my rational relatives said realizing she was an atheist was like missing the top step. Thumbsup
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post
29-04-2017, 07:02 PM (This post was last modified: 29-04-2017 07:06 PM by GirlyMan.)
They're not afraid of atheists per se, they're afraid of the atheist's casual attitude towards death. They know in their gut that any promise of a postmortem preservation of personal identity is just so much preposterous bullshit and it scares the shit out of them. Because they're pussies. Instead of recognizing and embracing impermanence as the only source of meaning we got, they tremble in fear of it. 'Cause they're pussies.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
29-04-2017, 08:40 PM
Hmm.. may be they see devil in every atheist? a deceiver from whom they have to run away?
I really don't know.

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
29-04-2017, 09:05 PM
(29-04-2017 08:40 PM)Alla Wrote:  Hmm.. may be they see devil in every atheist? a deceiver from whom they have to run away?
I really don't know.

Well, I am he, the original and one and only lord SatanEvil_monster I have a wonderful spot just for you in my sulphurous realm and a legion of nephalim with pitchforks at the ready. See you soon. Evil_monster Tongue Wink