Why Do Christians Fear Atheist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-05-2017, 09:37 AM
RE: Why Do Christians Fear Atheist?
(01-05-2017 08:31 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  Because to them atheism is the rejection of not only God but morality, because God is supposedly the source of morality. Not only that but they can't imagine how they could find meaning in a Universe without a God. For them, God is the only roadmap they have. If there's no God, they have no roadmap.

I agree with your statement. The problem with morality is everyone's morals are different. My moral compass may not align with yours or anyone else's but as long as I'm not causing pain (emotional or physical) then I feel as if I live a productive life. My roadmap is my own and that is the way I like it. It is my life and the road I choose is mine alone. There is no "guiding hand" in my decisions and those that are believers can not seem to grasp that concept or at the very least are scared to even consider that concept.

I sometimes pity those that are bound by that constraint. It must be a terrible burden to have to try to please a being that doesn't even exist. But they rationalize it even though it violates every law of the universe. I can't comprehend how someone could live that life even though I see it everyday. I don't look down on people of faith. I just don't understand how smart people believe things for dumb reasons?

I get to decide what my life looks like, not the other way around.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-05-2017, 07:55 PM (This post was last modified: 01-05-2017 07:59 PM by M. Linoge.)
Well. there are a lot of different kinds of Christians.

The conmen who are Christians hate us because not only do we not give them money, we encourage regular working people who contribute to society to stop giving away money to conmen with golden thrones.
Which would explain why we're demonized. "Do not listen to the lies of the unbeliever. S/He lies!"

Arrogant idiots who believe they are the center of the universe has to blame someone for the problems in the world.
I think we're all familiar with the assholes who go on tv after a natural disaster or terrorist attack and say "god is punishing us because of the gays/womensrightsadvocates/atheists".
The looney-logic that humans "broke creation" with their "badness" requires a scapegoat. Someone has to be responsible for making god mad.
It's no longer fashionable to burn women, sorry, witches at the stake. Since the whole kerfuffle in WWII, antagonizing people against Jews is frowned upon.
But there is one minority they haven't killed a lot of recently.

People who use a mind-trick that gives them a little jolt of bliss will, like most addicts, react negatively to anything getting in the way of their buzz.

I suppose the real reason some theists fear us is because they don't know anything about us. Being so used to simply deciding for themselves what is real and why, it's not really surprising they can't be bothered to find out what kind of people we are, when it's so much easier to make up a strawman to be angry at.

"Throughout history, every mystery, ever solved, has turned out to be; Not magic."
01-05-2017, 08:20 PM
Quote:3. There is no stigma concerning the expressed dislike of the non-religious. While there is a stigma (to varying degrees, depending on one’s social milieu) attached to being racist, or anti-Semitic, or Islamophobic, or homophobic – there has never existed a social or cultural backlash against people who openly express disdain for secular folks. So people simply feel much more comfortable expressing their dislike for atheists than, say, Latinas/os or women.

Why Americans Hate Atheists

I don't buy it. But I'm sure it's a contributing factor. A lot of potential reasons can be given, but none of them seem to go far enough in explaining why atheists in America consistently rank last in the polls. Oh apparently Muslims have taken over that position (study) -- but Muslims actually do things that warrant disliking them. No, I think it's a pure phobia: an irrational fear, with emphasis on the 'irrational' part.

[Image: AtheistsHatedStill.png]
[+] 4 users Like big green mouth's post
01-05-2017, 08:30 PM
Not sure if this has been mentioned, but I think there's some fear of the hidden. Watch any show with shape-shifters to see what I mean. You think that this person is just a "normal" guy, but it turns out that he's one of the Other. Muslims, people of other faiths are okay, they're recognizeable. But it's like finding out this person you're talking to, who seemed so nice, is a convicted felon recently released from prison and entirely okay with that.
01-05-2017, 11:00 PM
I never understand it when theists say life has no meaning without God.

What meaning does God give? In general, religion turns life into some sort of game/test where you are hoping that your actions please an invisible judge. You then get given a score at the end, and told if you won or lost.

To me, this robs life of all meaning. You're just being screwed with, and have been thrown into a contract you didn't agree to.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Robvalue's post
02-05-2017, 09:30 AM
(01-05-2017 11:00 PM)Robvalue Wrote:  I never understand it when theists say life has no meaning without God.

What meaning does God give? In general, religion turns life into some sort of game/test where you are hoping that your actions please an invisible judge. You then get given a score at the end, and told if you won or lost.

To me, this robs life of all meaning. You're just being screwed with, and have been thrown into a contract you didn't agree to.

I agree. Plus your "meaning" is being a slave to a god so cold and distant that he only will communicate through really old books, vague feelings, and really stupid things like his kid's face on toast. And your reward is an eternity of worshipping that asshole.
[+] 1 user Likes ResidentEvilFan's post
03-05-2017, 01:44 AM
(02-05-2017 09:30 AM)ResidentEvilFan Wrote:  
(01-05-2017 11:00 PM)Robvalue Wrote:  I never understand it when theists say life has no meaning without God.

I agree. Plus your "meaning" is being a slave to a god so cold and distant that he only will communicate through really old books, vague feelings, and really stupid things like his kid's face on toast. And your reward is an eternity of worshipping that asshole.

...I would rather commit suicide than fucking mindlessly sing praises to anyone for all eternity. That imaginary place called haven really seems like the worst kind of hell imaginable. Like... a god wouldn't need thinking people to praise it all the time. Fuck I could write a program that praises me all the time, WITHOUT subjecting a living, thinking, individual to being forced against their will to engage in such a mindless activity. Only a very stupid person could engage in a mindless menial labor like that and not feel totally crushed and miserable (which is why so many people hate their miserable unfulfilling jobs, its really the same thing when you think about it).

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
[+] 3 users Like JesseB's post
03-05-2017, 02:30 AM
(28-04-2017 08:42 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  That's rogic in action. (Rogic is religious logic, and is not to be confused with actual logic.)

Is it weird that I read that in a scooby doo voice?

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk
[+] 2 users Like ukatheist's post
03-05-2017, 05:21 AM
(03-05-2017 01:44 AM)JesseB Wrote:  ...I would rather commit suicide than fucking mindlessly sing praises to anyone for all eternity.

What if the afterafterlife is even worse?

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
03-05-2017, 05:24 AM
(03-05-2017 02:30 AM)ukatheist Wrote:  
(28-04-2017 08:42 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  That's rogic in action. (Rogic is religious logic, and is not to be confused with actual logic.)

Is it weird that I read that in a scooby doo voice?

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

Ruh roh!

I would have gotten away with it if not for you damned kids!

Anyway, one reason xians seem bothered by atheists is that they are, I truly believe, lying about believing in god. They find it disturbing that others haven't bought into that lie.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Gawdzilla's post