Why Do Creationists Seem Incapable Of Seeing That Atheism Is A Stance On One Issue?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-11-2014, 08:01 PM (This post was last modified: 14-11-2014 11:12 PM by WindyCityJazz.)
Star Why Do Creationists Seem Incapable Of Seeing That Atheism Is A Stance On One Issue?
"So what are atheists' stance on (enter topic)?"

How many times do we have to go through this shit? Can creationists simply not accept the fact that atheism is nothing more than not believing in deities? It's like just because their religion has stances on other issues, then atheism also must have the same thing.

"What is the atheist stance on gay marriage?"
"What is the atheist stance on murder?"
And, of course, everybody's favorite: "What is the atheist view on cannibalism?"

Really, what the fuck is so hard to understand about somebody simply not believing in deities?

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like WindyCityJazz's post
14-11-2014, 08:13 PM
RE: Why Do Creationists Seem Incapable Of Seeing That Atheism Is A Stance On One Issue?
I think it's rather simple.. but maybe I'm way off and dead wrong.

To many deeply religious folks, atheism is a contrast to their religious position.. and to them, that religious position causes all their positions so there is no way to separate one idea from the rest.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
14-11-2014, 09:34 PM
RE: Why Do Creationists Seem Incapable Of Seeing That Atheism Is A Stance On One Issue?
Creationists have never been accused of being intelligent...
[+] 4 users Like WeAreTheCosmos's post
14-11-2014, 10:42 PM
(14-11-2014 08:01 PM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  "So what are athlete's stance on (enter topic)?"

How many times do we have to go through this shit? Can creationists simply not accept the fact that atheism is nothing more than not believing in deities? It's like just because their religion has stances on other issues, then atheism also must have the same thing.

"What is the atheist stance on gay marriage?"
"What is the atheist stance on murder?"
And, of course, everybody's favorite: "What is the atheist view on cannibalism?"

Really, what the fuck is so hard to understand about somebody simply not believing in deities?

Atheism is viewed as another religion which would have a dogma and worldview.

Theists in general, and religious theists in particular, cannot comprehend that a TV with 57 channels and nothing on can in fact be turned off. A lot of religious theists believe there is only one channel for instance.
If you get my meaning...

Atheists, especially irreligious ones, have just turned off the TV.
[+] 4 users Like RogueWarrior's post
14-11-2014, 11:04 PM
(14-11-2014 08:01 PM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  "So what are athlete's stance on (enter topic)?"

"So what are athlete's stance on atheists?" Wink

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 3 users Like Full Circle's post
14-11-2014, 11:09 PM
(14-11-2014 11:04 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  

"So what are athlete's stance on atheists?" Wink

LOL, stupid auto-correct!

Fixed now!

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
15-11-2014, 06:38 AM
(14-11-2014 08:01 PM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  Really, what the fuck is so hard to understand about somebody simply not believing in deities?

Sure atheists simply lack a belief in God, but the problem is God is a loaded concept, entailing a great deal of things. It's not merely disbelieving in an old white man in the sky that grants wishes.

Imagine if you lack a belief in the existence of robbers, this would mean a great deal of things more than this simple admission on your part. If you don't believe in robbers, than you don't believe in robberies, because robberies requires robbers. Robbers are the condition of possibility for robberies. So to lack a belief in God, is to lack a belief in all that he serves as a condition of possibility for, like teleological views, etc....
15-11-2014, 07:44 AM
(15-11-2014 06:38 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  Sure atheists simply lack a belief in God, but the problem is God is a loaded concept, entailing a great deal of things. It's not merely disbelieving in an old white man in the sky that grants wishes.

Indeed, as much as "Plarget phtagn" is a loaded concept. Theists have to work harder to make their concept actually match up with reality.

(15-11-2014 06:38 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  Imagine if you lack a belief in the existence of robbers, this would mean a great deal of things more than this simple admission on your part. If you don't believe in robbers, than you don't believe in robberies, because robberies requires robbers. Robbers are the condition of possibility for robberies.

In this example, however, the term 'Robber', 'Robberies' etc describe things that actually correspond to things which happen within reality/society. Perhapse you would like to use/try a different analogy?

(15-11-2014 06:38 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  So to lack a belief in God, is to lack a belief in all that he serves as a condition of possibility for, like teleological views, etc....

Though, as I mentioned before, just having teleological views or possibilities etc doesn't mean it matches up with reality.

Much cheers to all.
15-11-2014, 07:52 AM
(15-11-2014 07:44 AM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  Though, as I mentioned before, just having teleological views or possibilities etc doesn't mean it matches up with reality.

Huh? Who cares? I didn't say anything about the validity of God beliefs, or teleological beliefs, so I don't see the relevance of your post, to either my response, or to the OP.
15-11-2014, 08:03 AM
(15-11-2014 07:52 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(15-11-2014 07:44 AM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  Though, as I mentioned before, just having teleological views or possibilities etc doesn't mean it matches up with reality.

Huh? Who cares? I didn't say anything about the validity of God beliefs, or teleological beliefs, so I don't see the relevance of your post, to either my response, or to the OP.

*Bows* Sorry.

I was trying to point out that pretty much any of the concepts of 'god' don't match up with reality... Hence, perhaps your analogy should have been a different one than using the robbers as an example.

Much cheers to all.