Why Do Creationists Seem Incapable Of Seeing That Atheism Is A Stance On One Issue?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-11-2014, 08:09 AM
RE: Why Do Creationists Seem Incapable Of Seeing That Atheism Is A Stance On One Issue?
(15-11-2014 08:03 AM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  I was trying to point out that pretty much any of the concepts of 'god' don't match up with reality... Hence, perhaps your analogy should have been a different one than using the robbers as an example.

Much cheers to all.

My analogy was to illustrate the meaning of a condition of possibility, a point not dependent of how well any of these things match up to reality. If you took the time to be more mindful before you responded, we likely would have avoided this detour.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-11-2014, 08:14 AM
RE: Why Do Creationists Seem Incapable Of Seeing That Atheism Is A Stance On One Issue?
(15-11-2014 08:09 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  My analogy was to illustrate the meaning of a condition of possibility, a point not dependent of how well any of these things match up to reality. If you took the time to be more mindful before you responded, we likely would have avoided this detour.

Sorry, I was just commenting on/that your analogy was/is bad. That's all.

The OP was asking as to why Theists take things further than they need to when it comes to aspects of Non-thiesm.

Much cheers to all.
15-11-2014, 08:26 AM
(15-11-2014 08:09 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(15-11-2014 08:03 AM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  I was trying to point out that pretty much any of the concepts of 'god' don't match up with reality... Hence, perhaps your analogy should have been a different one than using the robbers as an example.

Much cheers to all.

My analogy was to illustrate the meaning of a condition of possibility, a point not dependent of how well any of these things match up to reality. If you took the time to be more mindful before you responded, we likely would have avoided this detour.

If it is the case... why is it the case? You could actually defend your case instead of thinking it's necessary to be defensive and call it a derailment.

What causes this situation to fall under the condition of possibility.. because in reality, those claims aren't true. There are atheists who still have theological positions and have the same spiritual ideals that theists have. Disbelief in the deity doesn't come with all this extra traction, because so tons of views differ across individual minds.

If you merely want to indicate it's something irrational, that they auto-associate God to other attributes then that's probably likely.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
15-11-2014, 08:32 AM (This post was last modified: 15-11-2014 08:52 AM by StorMFront.)
Wilful ignorance based on their preconceived notions. They simply do not care if they are wrong, to them they will continue to believe despite the evidence against that absurd belief and attack any notion that tries to contradict that belief, just like they do with failing to grasp what Atheism is.

I look at wilful ignorance as a disease without a cure. Which the creationist have a bad case of.

Arguing with a Christian is a lot like playing chess with a pigeon. You can be the greatest player in the world, yet the pigeon will knock over all the pieces, shit on the board and strut away triumphantly.
15-11-2014, 09:14 AM
(15-11-2014 08:26 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  If it is the case... why is it the case? You could actually defend your case instead of thinking it's necessary to be defensive and call it a derailment.

What causes this situation to fall under the condition of possibility.. because in reality, those claims aren't true.

For something to be a condition of possibility, it doesn't have to be true, rather it means that if something were believed to be true, that there are "conditions" which would also have to be true, or believed to be true.

Since people have a problem with robbers, we'll use ghost.

If I believe a house was haunted, I'm not merely saying something about this particular house, but I am also saying things about the fundamental makeup of reality, that there is some sort of supernatural reality in which such invisible forces exist, that can interact in such a way with us, through noises, sudden movements of light, etc.....

Or in other words, to believe in something, entails a belief in forces, and capacities that make this something so. To believe in three dimensional objects requires a belief in space.

A common religious belief, particularly among christians is that human history is a story, a story conveyed by the Gospels, that reality is endowed with some sort of narrative framework, with inherent meaning and purpose, and man is a character in this narrative, of redemption. Their view of reality is one that is telelogical. If you believe human history is a long novel, than it goes without saying you believe in a Novelist who wrote it. It doesn't matter if this picture is true or not, but if one believes it to be true, than a Novelist would be required for it to be so.
15-11-2014, 09:24 AM
Because creationists see atheists as not holding the same values, concepts and "truth", so they ask questions.

I applaud them asking questions.
Say to them. "I hold a position you don't understand. You hold positions that all of the members of the scientific community and myself don't understand."

Lets keep asking questions.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
15-11-2014, 09:37 AM
(15-11-2014 09:14 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(15-11-2014 08:26 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  If it is the case... why is it the case? You could actually defend your case instead of thinking it's necessary to be defensive and call it a derailment.

What causes this situation to fall under the condition of possibility.. because in reality, those claims aren't true.

For something to be a condition of possibility, it doesn't have to be true, rather it means that if something were believed to be true, that there are "conditions" which would also have to be true, or believed to be true.

Since people have a problem with robbers, we'll use ghost.

If I believe a house was haunted, I'm not merely saying something about this particular house, but I am also saying things about the fundamental makeup of reality, that there is some sort of supernatural reality in which such invisible forces exist, that can interact in such a way with us, through noises, sudden movements of light, etc.....

Or in other words, to believe in something, entails a belief in forces, and capacities that make this something so. To believe in three dimensional objects requires a belief in space.

A common religious belief, particularly among christians is that human history is a story, a story conveyed by the Gospels, that reality is endowed with some sort of narrative framework, with inherent meaning and purpose, and man is a character in this narrative, of redemption. Their view of reality is one that is telelogical. If you believe human history is a long novel, than it goes without saying you believe in a Novelist who wrote it. It doesn't matter if this picture is true or not, but if one believes it to be true, than a Novelist would be required for it to be so.

I just find strive with this unless you're admitting it's all irrational limited thought. Because there is rational possibilities one could consider and understand in a second to counter in these ideas even if one believes them true.

If you did think of the world as a novel.. It could be written by multiple people, that's a situation that quickly could contrast this insistence on if this-then that scenario.

Just as disbelief in god doesn't mean that humans can't be a written narrative, be being judged by a higher being, or that there is absolute morality. Some atheists believe these ideas.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
15-11-2014, 09:48 AM
(15-11-2014 09:14 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  It doesn't matter if this picture is true or not, but if one believes it to be true, than a Novelist would be required for it to be so.

It matters a great deal whether or not it is true to those who value truth.Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
15-11-2014, 10:05 AM
(15-11-2014 09:48 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(15-11-2014 09:14 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  It doesn't matter if this picture is true or not, but if one believes it to be true, than a Novelist would be required for it to be so.

It matters a great deal whether or not it is true to those who value truth.Drinking Beverage

Is it the cat typing or the man......we will never know. Huh
15-11-2014, 10:08 AM
Never underestimate the stupidity of a creatard.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!