"Why Do I Need Religion To Be A Good Person?" Answer: You Don't

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-06-2014, 04:53 PM
RE: "Why Do I Need Religion To Be A Good Person?" Answer: You Don't
(09-06-2014 12:00 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(08-06-2014 11:30 PM)Compassion4Life Wrote:  I often get asked this question a lot by people when they ask me about being a Buddhist. A conversation on this usually goes something like this:

Person: Why do I need religion to be a good person?

Me: You don't.

Person: But you believe in the existence of a god or gods?

Me: No, I do not.

Person: Isn't The Buddha your god?

Me: No, he is not a God. I have no gods. The Buddha was a mortal man like the rest of us. I am a student of his teachings.

Person: So, you're Buddhist, but you're also an atheist?

Me: Yes.

Person: So why be a Buddhist? Do you feel the need to follow some religion in order to be a good person?

Me: Of course not! Being a Buddhist is my own personal journey that I have chosen. Nobody has to take the same path as me. I think we all have to find our own path to happiness. No person needs to study The Buddha's teachings to do this. I have personally chosen to become a student of his teachings. I have come across many wonderful people, many of whom were not Buddhists. They understood the importance of compassion, and how good deeds pass on positive feelings for others. They understood that happiness does not come from stepping on others and treating them as though they are below us.

Person: So what is the one true path to happiness?

Me: There isn't one. You must find your own path.

This usually results in more confusion. People seem to have an obsession with trying to find an ideal way of achieving happiness. They want to have a foolproof set of rules that they can follow. It doesn't work that way. We are all individuals, and what works for me may not work for the next person. There is nothing wrong with that, but many people seem so confused by this.

There is something wrong with your view.

Would you care to know what it is?

Is it because it's too optimistic? Evil_monster

Truth seeker.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-06-2014, 09:54 PM
(10-06-2014 11:32 AM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  
(08-06-2014 11:30 PM)Compassion4Life Wrote:  I often get asked this question a lot by people when they ask me about being a Buddhist. A conversation on this usually goes something like this:

Me: No, he is not a God. I have no gods. The Buddha was a mortal man like the rest of us. I am a student of his teachings.

Person: So why be a Buddhist? Do you feel the need to follow some religion in order to be a good person?

Me: Of course not! Being a Buddhist is my own personal journey that I have chosen. Nobody has to take the same path as me. I think we all have to find our own path to happiness. No person needs to study The Buddha's teachings to do this. I have personally chosen to become a student of his teachings. I have come across many wonderful people, many of whom were not Buddhists. They understood the importance of compassion, and how good deeds pass on positive feelings for others. They understood that happiness does not come from stepping on others and treating them as though they are below us.

This usually results in more confusion. People seem to have an obsession with trying to find an ideal way of achieving happiness. They want to have a foolproof set of rules that they can follow. It doesn't work that way. We are all individuals, and what works for me may not work for the next person. There is nothing wrong with that, but many people seem so confused by this.

Do you believe in samsara?

If by samsara yyou mean some tosh like "the continuing cycle of birth, death and reincarnation" that many woo-woo forms of buddhism assume, I can assure you that C4L does not.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
[+] 1 user Likes Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
12-06-2014, 09:59 PM
(09-06-2014 12:00 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  There is something wrong with your view.

Would you care to know what it is?

Stop being an asshole and fuck the hell away from this forum.

When is the staff going to 86 this sorry motherfucker for incessantly disrupting the forum?

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
[+] 2 users Like Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
12-06-2014, 10:21 PM
(10-06-2014 03:54 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Alright, who let the bot out of it's cage again? Facepalm

[Image: SWOTLTD180P.jpg]

[Image: its_a_troll_by_rudyxthexpossum-d48nn7g.png]

[+] 1 user Likes TheGulegon's post
12-06-2014, 10:27 PM
(12-06-2014 09:54 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(10-06-2014 11:32 AM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  Do you believe in samsara?

If by samsara yyou mean some tosh like "the continuing cycle of birth, death and reincarnation" that many woo-woo forms of buddhism assume, I can assure you that C4L does not.

Sorry for the delay, I have been very busy the last few days. Taqiyya Mockingbird is correct.

I think that making supernatural assumptions would go against The Buddha's teachings. He taught that the only way we find truth is by questioning things until we can't question them anymore. To assume something for which there is no proof would seem exactly the opposite of that. This is why the Buddha did not say things like "This is how the world began", or "This is where man comes from". He did not concern himself with such things, which is something that westerners often find confusing, because their religions focus on having an explanation for these things. The Buddha didn't know the origins of the universe or humans, so why would he claim something like that to his students? It would directly collide with the rest of his teachings.

Live, Love, and Learn Smile
13-06-2014, 02:47 AM

That interaction you described is great. I have never gotten a theist to think philosophically about anything before. I would count that as something of a victory.