Why Do Otherwise Intelligent People Succomb to Religion?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-10-2015, 09:23 AM
The question came up and I thought it worth exploring. I put this thread in the psychology form because I’d like to discuss it from that angle rather than from religion.

Why do otherwise intelligent people fall for religion? Why doesn’t the logic and reason immediately preclude gullibility? One might ask why otherwise intelligent people scratch mosquito bites. Answer that question and you’ll be closer to answering the other.

Good things come to those who wait.
But only what's left over by those who hustle.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-10-2015, 09:43 AM
RE: Why Do Otherwise Intelligent People Succomb to Religion?
There is plenty of reasons, psychologically too.

It solves answers, it gives comfort, it probably psychologically is more peaceful/easier in some ways to believe what many of your peers/family thinks if it's not really questioned, and it has a monopoly(or strong advantage) of community and grouping of people together in many areas. So it's helpful.

The concept of someone being notably intelligent doesn't really have to have an impact. If they don't examine the question of religion in the same manner they approach other concepts with that intelligence. For plenty of people, there hasn't been a pathway or reason for them to really consider doing so.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
20-10-2015, 09:52 AM
Sometimes it is a balance between level of indoctrination and intelligence. If we assume we are only talking about those of above average intelligence, a lot of them believe because they have been indoctrinated into those beliefs (we can assign 3 levels to intelligence, indoctrination, and likelihood of being a religious adult; low, medium, high)

1)Intelligence 2)Indoctrination 3)Likelihood of being a religious adult
1)Low 2)Low 3)Low-high (highly susceptible to indoctrination as an adult)
1)Low 2)Med 3)High
1)Low 2)High 3)High

1)Med 2)Low 3)Low
1)Med 2)Med 3)Volatile (this is the group that is the most unpredictable)
1)Med 2)High 3)High

1)High 2)Low 3)Low
1)High 2)Med 3)Low
1)High 2)High 3)High (this is the group you are primarily asking about)

Why is that last group still highly likely to remain religious even if highly intelligent? Because of their intelligence most likely. Basically, they are smart enough to convince themselves they are correct and that other people are wrong. It doesn't matter if the logic they use to reach that conclusion is faulty or poor, because they are aware of their intelligence relative to others and are unlikely to be swayed by other people's opinions on religion.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
20-10-2015, 09:55 AM
It has nothing to do with intelligence.

They are generally born into it and indoctrinated at an early age.

Where intelligence comes in is that smarter people learn to see through the bullshit as they get older and reject it. But that manifests itself in different ways.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post
20-10-2015, 09:56 AM
I read that and the stupid brain goes... how many points are there on a multi-dimensional polygon...

[Image: Gaxmay4.png]

I know, my stupid brain is an asshole, but I'm not sure it can be easily simplified. Of course, death comes to mind. As an instinctively social species, the appeal of continuing conscious interaction cannot be marginalized.

Another fat ol' data point is the miraculous, when the physical is mis-remembered with an emotional context. Pretty standard generalization to label the individual's emotional response to environmental factors as often overstated.

Groupthink. The comfort of the masses.

Conditioning, same as it ever was....

I can't really do much better than that. I know I'm a deviant in my mathematical perception of reality where my concern for my immortality is absurdly non-existent. Perhaps another can do better. Undecided

living word
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
20-10-2015, 09:58 AM
(20-10-2015 09:55 AM)Minimalist Wrote:  It has nothing to do with intelligence.

Where intelligence comes in is that smarter people learn to see through the bullshit as they get older and reject it. But that manifests itself in different ways.

Smarter people don't always reject it though, because of the indoctrination aspect and because their intelligence allows them to convince themselves they are correct and others are wrong. Just look at Francis Collins.

-Rick
[+] 2 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
20-10-2015, 10:01 AM
(20-10-2015 09:58 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(20-10-2015 09:55 AM)Minimalist Wrote:  It has nothing to do with intelligence.

Smarter people don't always reject it though, because of the indoctrination aspect and because their intelligence allows them to convince themselves they are correct and others are wrong. Just look at Francis Collins.

Sometimes the smarter you are, the worse you've got it. Undecided

living word
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
20-10-2015, 10:02 AM
People want to belong to something bigger than themselves.

Even if it is imaginary.....

And if you're going to have an imaginary friend -- it might as well be the guy who created the universe.....

Sure seems like a monumental waste of time to me....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
20-10-2015, 10:03 AM
(20-10-2015 10:01 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(20-10-2015 09:58 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Smarter people don't always reject it though, because of the indoctrination aspect and because their intelligence allows them to convince themselves they are correct and others are wrong. Just look at Francis Collins.

Sometimes the smarter you are, the worse you've got it. Undecided

Exactly.

-Rick
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
20-10-2015, 10:16 AM
I definitely agree about indoctrination at a young age. Brainwashing can infiltrate even the most intelligent of people. When you add on community and family support, all of which reiterate religious delusion, it is easy for brainwashing to take hold. I also find that intelligent theists can balance both God and science. They believe in God, but believe He allowed things to happen (i.e. evolution). And I think they really want to believe. When you really want to believe in something, it's easy to push other things--such as reality--to the side.
[+] 9 users Like jennybee's post