Why Do Otherwise Intelligent People Succomb to Religion?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-10-2015, 10:10 AM
RE: Why Do Otherwise Intelligent People Succomb to Religion?
All of the above.

I can not blindly conclude that random events are the work of an invisible sky daddy. However, I know people that assign damn near everything that happens to said sky daddy. I do find it amusing.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-10-2015, 06:54 PM
(23-10-2015 10:10 AM)ohio_drg Wrote:  All of the above.

I can not blindly conclude that random events are the work of an invisible sky daddy. However, I know people that assign damn near everything that happens to said sky daddy. I do find it amusing.

It's amusing because I see the whole picture and I know the same events that Christians ascribe to Yahweh, Muslims take those same events and ascribe them to Allah.

Really amusing when bad things happen to people and they thank god when things turn out for the better. Can't this all-powerful god do any better than damage control?

Good things come to those who wait.
But only what's left over by those who hustle.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Rhondazvous's post
24-10-2015, 07:19 PM
(20-10-2015 09:23 AM)Rhondazvous Wrote:  The question came up and I thought it worth exploring. I put this thread in the psychology form because I’d like to discuss it from that angle rather than from religion.

Why do otherwise intelligent people fall for religion? Why doesn’t the logic and reason immediately preclude gullibility? One might ask why otherwise intelligent people scratch mosquito bites. Answer that question and you’ll be closer to answering the other.

There are any number of reasons why otherwise rational, intelligent people may fall for religion, or any other irrational concept I might add, and many have been addressed by everybody else.

So, why doesn't logic come in an over-ride irrational conclusions? To quote Dr. Michael Shermer:
“Smart people are very good at rationalizing things they came to believe for non-smart reasons.”

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 2 users Like Free Thought's post
25-10-2015, 07:04 AM
Any individual can become fearful of death, Satan, animal fat or carbon dioxide.

As the last two have recently shown, intelligence is not a significant variable.
[+] 1 user Likes Walter's post
25-10-2015, 07:06 AM
(25-10-2015 07:04 AM)Walter Wrote:  Any individual can become fearful of death, Satan, animal fat or carbon dioxide.

As the last two have recently shown, intelligence is not a significant variable.

I'm not afraid of Satan cause Odin has my back, and he'd kick Satan's ass.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 2 users Like yakherder's post
25-10-2015, 07:34 AM
I think it often boils down to peer pressure. When you are in a culture surrounded by religion and religious people (gee, who would've thought, eh?) then after many years of being surrounded by them and being given messages of how bad, evil and immoral you are for not believing as they do well then it is understandable that the person may feel compelled to join a religion to "fit in".

It is true we cannot readily explain everything and yes, it is true that at some point we all contemplate our deaths in our own way but religion does not hold any key to anything, all it does if offer false comfort to those who think they need it.

Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return.
To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.
That is Alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange.
[+] 1 user Likes Dragon-Wolf's post
25-10-2015, 09:26 AM
(25-10-2015 07:06 AM)yakherder Wrote:  
(25-10-2015 07:04 AM)Walter Wrote:  Any individual can become fearful of death, Satan, animal fat or carbon dioxide.

I'm not afraid of Satan cause Odin has my back, and he'd kick Satan's ass.
Laugh out load

Good things come to those who wait.
But only what's left over by those who hustle.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-10-2015, 10:07 AM (This post was last modified: 25-10-2015 03:31 PM by cactus.)
I agree with Dragon-Wolf, that it's all about peer pressure. It's so easy to just go with the grain and allow other people to tell you what to think. A lot of religious people value relationships at the expense of rationality. Now as an atheist, the opposite is true for me. I value rationality, often at the expense of my relationships. It's a very difficult balance to strike, to present a genuine version of yourself to the people who care about you, while at the same time trying to foster a continuous relationship of mutual trust and respect. A lot of the time, it's just not possible, when you're dealing with a person who sees your honesty and humility as an act of rebellion.

When I was a Christian and people asked me "do you believe in God?" the correct response was "yes, obviously." It was a rhetorical question. This false definition of "belief" had been drilled into my brain since the day I was born. Before moving away to college, I never realized that I could question my beliefs. The thought had never even crossed my mind, but the experience of being on my own in a new town with all new people allowed me to step back and examine MY beliefs for the first time.

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?