Why Do People Believe Bizarre Things?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-03-2012, 09:05 AM (This post was last modified: 20-03-2012 09:06 AM by Erxomai.)
Why Do People Believe Bizarre Things?
I just don't get it.

When I came to this forum, it was because I was seeking refuge and community from the bizarre and delusional thinking of theism. Now, every once in a while, the wacky theists here do get on my nerves with their dribble, but lately, even their obnoxious voices have been drowned out by the number of insane threads on all manner of craziness from Israel faking the Holocaust in order to get their own playground to NASA faking the space program. Oh, and let's not forget the stupid fuckers who think Bush blew up the WTC.

When did we stop being an intelligent forum? When did we decide insanity is an ok thing to encourage?

Apparently, some here need to go back to their How Not To Be An Idiot 101 Class. To that end, let's start with some common sense tools:

Once you've mastered that video, you may go on to this one.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 14 users Like Erxomai's post
20-03-2012, 09:26 AM
RE: Why Do People Believe Bizarre Things?
OK first I will attempt to answer the genuine question that is dripping with disdain.

Why do people believe strange shit?

I personally think it is general insanity. A coping mechanism that evolution gave us to deal with things our brains have a hard time understanding. we can use our freethinking minds to create something we understand in place of the thing we don't.
But somewhere deep down we know that just because we can understand it doesn't make it true.
Some people need more help than others, and some alternate realities have to be farther fetched than others due to a lack of coping ability or understanding. Or due to a chemical imbalance or misfiring in the brain. That separates everyone into the functioning and non-functioning insane.

The question I can't figure out is why someone will believe something even when given the ability and information to understand differently.
I get that people create alternate realities to cope with their lack of information, scientists do it just the same as everyone else, they just use current information to project the potential reality onto. But scientists for the most part are open to accepting new data and altering the reality they have created.
I don't get it when people can't do that. Or are unwilling to do that.

The only time I can make heads or tails out of the why, is when I can see that they have something to lose. Whether it's power, or community, or sex appeal...

Otherwise when there is nothing to lose, and only something to gain, it seems to go against survival even. It defies logic or reason.

Now onto your anger.

I wish to point out that just because someone has labelled something a conspiracy theory does not make it immediately untrue. People seem to have that preconception.
I fully agree that when the majority of evidence points to one conclusion that unless new evidence is presented or the surviving evidence against an idea is just immensely powerful, to go against the tide so to speak is just silly.
However when there is a mass of information and evidence countering a popular belief, it shouldn't be thought of as stupid to dispute the belief. Popular opinion is just popular, doesn't make it true.
If it were true we'd be morons for not believing in jesus the son of god.

Also just so people get me, denying the holocaust is one of the silly ones I'm talking about.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-03-2012, 09:30 AM (This post was last modified: 20-03-2012 11:35 AM by Hamata k.)
OHOHO! Finally someone says something about this. I would've said something awhile ago but since I am regarded as the troll my opinions are (by default) questioned.

I am sick of all these obviously idiotic excuses for threads. I don't mean the ones in good fun. I mean the ones you mentioned.

The Holocaust didn't happen? My ass it didn't happen. Go read a history book you moron.

The World Trade Centers were blown up by the American government? Yes that makes sense because they wanted to put themselves in their current economical situation...idiots.

NASA faked the space programs? HOLY FUCK! How many times does one have to be dropped on their head as a child to believe such a lame excuse for a theory!? Most religions make more sense that this idea.

I don't care about your "opinions" mainly because YOU ARE WRONG. There is no "grey line" here.

So shut up about this shit before I decide to revoke your internet privileges.

Thank you Exormai for bringing this up before I decided to kill some people.

NEW AND IMPROVED!
Twice the anger, Half the space!
[+] 7 users Like Hamata k's post
20-03-2012, 09:31 AM
(20-03-2012 09:05 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  I just don't get it.

Me neither, I thought it was just me and an over sensitive retard detector...

This may have been put up before, but worth a read.

Dunning-Kruger effect

Some people are just too stupid to know they are stupid !!

In life you can't have everything................. Where would you put it ?
[+] 4 users Like Sol's post
20-03-2012, 09:37 AM (This post was last modified: 20-03-2012 09:42 AM by Eternal.)
To be honest as I am still relatively new, I have only ever seen the forum like this.

Glad to hear it hasn't always been this way.

(20-03-2012 09:31 AM)Sol Wrote:  Me neither, I thought it was just me and an over sensitive retard detector...

This may have been put up before, but worth a read.

Dunning-Kruger effect

Some people are just too stupid to know they are stupid !!

Lol, I remember going over this elsewhere, very apt.

I think even the least sensitive retard detector would be reading fairly high lately.

"Belief means not wanting to know what is true"
Friedrich Nietzsche
20-03-2012, 09:41 AM
Which reminds me....

Why is not possible to call an idiot an idiot, why do I have to pussyfoot about and only intimate that they may just be intellectually challenged or some such shit ?

Apparently, they are entitled to a fucking opinion------ really ? even the fucking window lickers. ?

This maybe should go in the rant thread.

In life you can't have everything................. Where would you put it ?
[+] 2 users Like Sol's post
20-03-2012, 09:44 AM
Luc,
I have no problem with a conspiracy theory, per se. I've entertained just about every popular conspiracy theory that exists. I've wanted to believe, but the overwhelming evidence is against just about everyone I've ever studied. And there is no problem with bringing up the questions here. But, what I have the greatest disdain for is the lack of acceptance of the facts.
This is what chaps my hide:
Show someone a picture...Oh, that's been photoshopped.
Show someone an eyewitness...Oh, anyone can tell any story they like.
Show someone scientific evidence...Yeah, but they didn't do their investigation on the third Tuesday of a Month ending in Z.
Show someone common sense...and they don't have any.

Substitute these wacky conspiracy threads for wacky God threads and you get the same reaction...evidence is provided, evidence is ignored...and the wacky belief continues.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 4 users Like Erxomai's post
20-03-2012, 09:44 AM
(20-03-2012 09:41 AM)Sol Wrote:  Which reminds me....

Why is not possible to call an idiot an idiot, why do I have to pussyfoot about and only intimate that they may just be intellectually challenged or some such shit ?

Apparently, they are entitled to a fucking opinion------ really ? even the fucking window lickers. ?

This maybe should go in the rant thread.

You just put one of my pet hates into words.

You can't swear or call a cunt a cunt without being labelled a troll. Personally if that gets me the label of troll then it is one I will wear happily, because suffering fools lightly is far worse.

"Belief means not wanting to know what is true"
Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Eternal's post
20-03-2012, 09:45 AM
And Bemore...I think you're cool, dude, so don't take this as directed at you.

~Izel
20-03-2012, 09:48 AM
Morality. Wink

It's chemical intelligence, I'm telling ya; we're all high on believing we're right.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user