Why Do People Believe Bizarre Things?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-03-2012, 09:49 AM
RE: Why Do People Believe Bizarre Things?
(20-03-2012 09:44 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  Luc,
I have no problem with a conspiracy theory, per se. I've entertained just about every popular conspiracy theory that exists. I've wanted to believe, but the overwhelming evidence is against just about everyone I've ever studied. And there is no problem with bringing up the questions here. But, what I have the greatest disdain for is the lack of acceptance of the facts.
This is what chaps my hide:
Show someone a picture...Oh, that's been photoshopped.
Show someone an eyewitness...Oh, anyone can tell any story they like.
Show someone scientific evidence...Yeah, but they didn't do their investigation on the third Tuesday of a Month ending in Z.
Show someone common sense...and they don't have any.

Substitute these wacky conspiracy threads for wacky God threads and you get the same reaction...evidence is provided, evidence is ignored...and the wacky belief continues.

Which is why I usually end up walking away or resorting to cheap shots for fun, because someone who works in such a way is dishonest and usually out to purposely mislead. Such a person should be mocked accordingly to help encourage them to keep their idiotic beliefs to themselves.

I would have no problem with idiotic beliefs when people will discuss them honestly, but as with your examples above, often this is just not the case.

"when all around you think you stupid, it is better to stay silent than open your mouth and confirm it"

"Belief means not wanting to know what is true"
Friedrich Nietzsche
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Eternal's post
20-03-2012, 09:49 AM
(20-03-2012 09:45 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  And Bemore...I think you're cool, dude, so don't take this as directed at you.

I thought it was directed at me, cause I know Bush blew up the WTC with his stupid mind powers... Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
20-03-2012, 09:52 AM
(20-03-2012 09:49 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(20-03-2012 09:45 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  And Bemore...I think you're cool, dude, so don't take this as directed at you.

I thought it was directed at me, cause I know Bush blew up the WTC with his stupid mind powers... Tongue

God damn it man, are you crazy? Everyone knows he got the aliens to do it for him.

Friedrich Nietzsche
20-03-2012, 10:13 AM
It almost seems ike if you take the religious fairy tales away from people they make up new, different fairy tales.

Why is that?

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
20-03-2012, 10:37 AM
I agree Erx.

My question to theorists who won't accept anything as evidence against their theory is....

What is your goal in this?

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
[+] 1 user Likes lucradis's post
20-03-2012, 11:08 AM
(20-03-2012 10:37 AM)lucradis Wrote:  My question to theorists who won't accept anything as evidence against their theory is....

What is your goal in this?

One World Dominion under Gwyneth Paltrow... muah-ha-ha-ha... ha-ha ha ohh...

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
20-03-2012, 11:16 AM
You had me at "under Gwyneth Paltrow".

Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 3 users Like Eternal's post
20-03-2012, 01:12 PM
(20-03-2012 09:49 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  I thought it was directed at me, cause I know Bush blew up the WTC with his stupid mind powers... Tongue

Johnny, you're the only conspiracy theory I'm willing to believe in. Big Grin

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
20-03-2012, 07:46 PM
I have concluded that for many conspiracy buffs the feeling of being in on a secret, being more knowledgeable (not) , and therefore being special, is the reward, the payoff.

If you take away their conspiracies, their self-worth collapses.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
20-03-2012, 08:06 PM
(20-03-2012 07:46 PM)Chas Wrote:  I have concluded that for many conspiracy buffs the feeling of being in on a secret, being more knowledgeable (not) , and therefore being special, is the reward, the payoff.

If you take away their conspiracies, their self-worth collapses.

Ah, that hits the button on the nose for me. Good insight, Chas.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel