Why Do People Believe Bizarre Things?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-03-2012, 12:32 AM
RE: Why Do People Believe Bizarre Things?
(20-03-2012 07:46 PM)Chas Wrote:  I have concluded that for many conspiracy buffs the feeling of being in on a secret, being more knowledgeable (not) , and therefore being special, is the reward, the payoff.

If you take away their conspiracies, their self-worth collapses.

Conspiracies are nothing but a pain in the ass, explaining it to others who still trust the government. It's like trying to get through a 10 foot steel wall by beating a rainbow trout against it. They trust their government as they trusted their religions as they foolishly take face value evidence along with blind faith that the person presenting it is not lying... as long as it's by the government though. I don't care about feeling special, or self-worth, I'm at a point in my life where I barely feel any emotions at all. Emotions make people unreasonable, I forget which philosophy it was, whether it was stoicism or cynicism. They nailed it right on about emotions though.

The last two panels describe how I feel about 'being in on some secrets' perfectly.

[Image: st_03e.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-03-2012, 03:05 AM
Maybe the low opinion of your fellow human beings (you having to be so much smarter than everyone) comes from your low self esteem so you use these conspiracies to overcompensate.

Or maybe your the only sharp one out there in a sea of dribbling morons. You proclaim to know the truth hidden from plain sight which we are all to stupid and brainwashed or set in our ways to see and understand. Kinda sounds like a sales pitch religions would use but whatever...
(21-03-2012 12:32 AM)TheArcticSage Wrote:  I don't care about feeling special, or self-worth, I'm at a point in my life where I barely feel any emotions at all. Emotions make people unreasonable, I forget which philosophy it was, whether it was stoicism or cynicism. They nailed it right on about emotions though.
People who avoid emotion like you claim are generally people who have been hurt or are feeling depressed/etc. People who do that do it as a survival mechanism. Emotions are part of your humanity and its what connects you to people. If you can't process emotions it's equivalent to switching off part of your brain. It doesn't gain you anything in day to day life. Switching off emotions is meant as a short term strategy to help you cope under extreme circumstances.

There is nothing wrong with wanting to feel special or feeling special as long as it's for the right reasons with the right attitude/thinking. Another thing... Healthy people usually have a sense of (not overinflated) self worth. This is a good thing. Feeling that what they are doing is worth something, that they are worth listening to, and worth your time. Emotions don't have to make people unreasonable, they just add colour and depth to things.

A hefty chunk of our brain works on fuzzy logic. Allot of analogue. Some of our decisions are made using probabilities of certain outcomes based on past experiences (Bayesian networks). Some of these parts of the brain that handle fuzzy logic are also tasked with some of the emotion processing.

Emotions run on the hardware at a much lower level than the other stuff your brain does that you are consciously aware of. If you say that you hardly feel emotions that is only because you suppressed them, not because they aren't there (unless your a socio-path/missing a chunk of brain). People who ignore emotions when they make their decisions are more likely to be influenced by them as a pose to one who is concious of their emotions and factors them into their decisions.

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
[+] 1 user Likes DeepThought's post
21-03-2012, 04:10 AM
One thing that's usefull to keep in mind: There are always going to be people around that are way smarter than you, and genuinely smart people don't go around advertising how smart they are. They just are who they are cos thats the smart thing to do.

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
[+] 1 user Likes DeepThought's post
21-03-2012, 04:25 AM
(21-03-2012 04:10 AM)DeepThought Wrote:  One thing that's usefull to keep in mind: There are always going to be people around that are way smarter than you, and genuinely smart people don't go around advertising how smart they are. They just are who they are cos thats the smart thing to do.
I am really the smartest, just mentioning in case you didn't know Tongue

Anyway, I think the human mind is simply not perfect and if we are presented with something that has some kind of (faulty) logic, we are likely to accept it or at least go after it because we are, as I once learnt in psychology, world-open creatures, and very curious, too.
Especially, and you mentioned it kinda, when the brain is temporarily dysfunctional anyway, for example when we are in a depression or when we just had bad luck or such things. Everything negative makes us look for more negative things in life and that is when we come up with all those bizarre things.
And of course, depending on culture and upbringing, you might just simply believe everything you are told *shrug*

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-03-2012, 04:39 AM (This post was last modified: 21-03-2012 04:46 AM by TheArcticSage.)
(21-03-2012 03:05 AM)DeepThought Wrote:  Maybe the low opinion of your fellow human beings (you having to be so much smarter than everyone) comes from your low self esteem so you use these conspiracies to overcompensate.

Or maybe your the only sharp one out there in a sea of dribbling morons. You proclaim to know the truth hidden from plain sight which we are all to stupid and brainwashed or set in our ways to see and understand. Kinda sounds like a sales pitch religions would use but whatever...

There's only two things we're indoctrinated with at birth, religion, and nationality. I don't believe in either any more, nor should you.

(21-03-2012 03:05 AM)DeepThought Wrote:  People who avoid emotion like you claim are generally people who have been hurt or are feeling depressed/etc. People who do that do it as a survival mechanism. Emotions are part of your humanity and its what connects you to people. If you can't process emotions it's equivalent to switching off part of your brain. It doesn't gain you anything in day to day life. Switching off emotions is meant as a short term strategy to help you cope under extreme circumstances.

There is nothing wrong with wanting to feel special or feeling special as long as it's for the right reasons with the right attitude/thinking. Another thing... Healthy people usually have a sense of (not overinflated) self worth. This is a good thing. Feeling that what they are doing is worth something, that they are worth listening to, and worth your time. Emotions don't have to make people unreasonable, they just add colour and depth to things.

A hefty chunk of our brain works on fuzzy logic. Allot of analogue. Some of our decisions are made using probabilities of certain outcomes based on past experiences (Bayesian networks). Some of these parts of the brain that handle fuzzy logic are also tasked with some of the emotion processing.

Emotions run on the hardware at a much lower level than the other stuff your brain does that you are consciously aware of. If you say that you hardly feel emotions that is only because you suppressed them, not because they aren't there (unless your a socio-path/missing a chunk of brain). People who ignore emotions when they make their decisions are more likely to be influenced by them as a pose to one who is conscious of their emotions and factors them into their decisions.

I can still feel emotions don't get me wrong, when and if I want to, but I control my emotions. It's not so much as being hurt or depressed. When I was 15 I was filled with emotions! Big Grin and ignorance Dodgy when I was 16 I laid the law down on my emotions, still ignorant though, I'm 20 I hardly let my emotions surface (unless we're talking about two subjects then it's all out) but I'm still ignorant, I know nothing. Every time I thought I knew it all, I found something new.

I do not delude myself with the worth of myself or the worth of others, we are all equally worthless. Worth is a human concept, but to nature, we are all the same... and nature puts no value on us. However I do put worth upon my species, and since every human being is a part of my species I worth them equally.

I am quite aware of my emotions, I keep them in check at all times. It is because I am aware of them, that I suppress them. If you want to know more about MY psychology, I invite you to read a little about stoicism. I don't follow every bit of it, but most of it represents me. I made no attempts to follow Stoicism, I just became one over the course of 4 years, out of experience and observation. Though I will say I have more in common with it now than I did the last time I checked.

I also invite you to learn about stoicism if you haven't learned of it already.

(21-03-2012 04:10 AM)DeepThought Wrote:  One thing that's usefull to keep in mind: There are always going to be people around that are way smarter than you, and genuinely smart people don't go around advertising how smart they are. They just are who they are cos thats the smart thing to do.

Socrates taught us that one. But even the people more intelligent than us, are ignorant. If they were intelligent at all they would admit their ignorance, as I said earlier, we're constantly learning new things and therefore constantly outdoing what we had previously been. God I love you Socrates. You know he was the biggest troll back in the ancient world? Even up to the point of his forced-suicide he still trolled.
21-03-2012, 04:48 AM
(21-03-2012 04:39 AM)TheArcticSage Wrote:  I'm 20

There it is... Angel

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 6 users Like houseofcantor's post
21-03-2012, 04:59 AM
(21-03-2012 04:48 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(21-03-2012 04:39 AM)TheArcticSage Wrote:  I'm 20

There it is... Angel

You shouldn't judge someone's intelligence just because of their age you know? I'm not really one to talk though because I do the same for old people. Though that's just from experience, not all old people are dumb. Just most of them. Though to be fair everyone is swimming in ignorance (including myself, I don't know what I don't know therefore I am ignorant because there are things I don't know that I don't know that I should know about). If you've ever cashiered at a medium paced grocery store you realize this real quick.
21-03-2012, 05:28 AM
(21-03-2012 04:59 AM)TheArcticSage Wrote:  You shouldn't judge someone's intelligence just because of their age you know?

Wasn't judging your intelligence, but rather your "I know what's what" attitude. Tongue

Besides, shouldn't you be playing video games? Where I'm at now, there's a whole herd of 20 year-olds, all they do is play video games... League of Legends right over there, Shogun Total War and Battlefield 2 upstairs... (course the "old man" around here, Bob, plays Old Republic all day long... maybe it's something in the water... that reminds me, I gotta go tell the goo to bring over his Mass Effect 3. Then you won't hear from me for a while. Big Grin)

Cashiering sux. You know what I hate? Those dimwits who don't know how to use their own plastic, despite operating the POS machines once a week... Angel

21-03-2012, 05:44 AM
(21-03-2012 05:28 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(21-03-2012 04:59 AM)TheArcticSage Wrote:  You shouldn't judge someone's intelligence just because of their age you know?

Wasn't judging your intelligence, but rather your "I know what's what" attitude. Tongue

Besides, shouldn't you be playing video games? Where I'm at now, there's a whole herd of 20 year-olds, all they do is play video games... League of Legends right over there, Shogun Total War and Battlefield 2 upstairs... (course the "old man" around here, Bob, plays Old Republic all day long... maybe it's something in the water... that reminds me, I gotta go tell the goo to bring over his Mass Effect 3. Then you won't hear from me for a while. Big Grin)

Cashiering sux. You know what I hate? Those dimwits who don't know how to use their own plastic, despite operating the POS machines once a week... Angel

Video games are horrible distractions, not good at all for thinking rationally. I only play video games when I'm bored or looking for things to inspire me. And I've been trying to tell you, I don't know what's what until I've investigated it to know what it is. Sure we have face value take Pepsi for example if you buy a can of Pepsi at the store you're ASSUMING it's Pepsi from the face value. However you won't KNOW if it's Pepsi or not until you drink it. My statistics are probably horribly obscured thanks to the demographics of where I live. Still though sometimes I pity old people, especially the ones who lose their memories bit by bit. That would really suck for me, I've worked so hard to gather the little information which I do know. To lose all that time and effort to some stupid disease. Would really suck. That's why I want to write a book. Immortalize my thoughts.
21-03-2012, 06:59 AM
(21-03-2012 05:44 AM)TheArcticSage Wrote:  Video games are horrible distractions, not good at all for thinking rationally.

Blasphemy! Tongue

...although I definitely do not have rational thoughts about Rayne of Bloodrayne II. Big Grin

As for getting old, I'm the only one I know who likes it. Losing my memory and stuff would make everything brand new... I'd fall in love with Gwynnie every morning (well, I do that anyway - seriously broke in the head over that girl) And being old is getting away with stuff. People think I'm an adult... sillies. Big Grin

[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post