Why Do People Believe Bizarre Things?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-03-2012, 07:07 PM
RE: Why Do People Believe Bizarre Things?
(21-03-2012 04:39 AM)TheArcticSage Wrote:  I do not delude myself with the worth of myself or the worth of others, we are all equally worthless. Worth is a human concept, but to nature, we are all the same.

Way to contradict yourself in 2 sentences. Yes things have subjective values attached. That is the reality of living in our society. Living like it isn't so is wishful thinking. You couldn't function if you didn't attach values to things.

Maybe you watched Fight Club and took it a little too seriously?

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes DeepThought's post
23-03-2012, 07:08 AM
Why do people believe weird things? Because weird things happen. And pretty often too. We just don't know what, where, when, how or why, that's why we can't use scientific method. Without any control over what's happening there is no science.

For example, I'm a student. I spend a lot of time staring at people who stand or sit in front of a wall or (white) blackboard and talk. That's an ideal arrangement for trying to observe people's aura. I actually got inspired by my mom, who used to pass time like that on company meetings. I might be sensitive to subtle energies and stuff, but that's touch sense. With the sense of sight and aura vision I have to make baby steps just like everyone else.

Well then, and just this week I had my English lesson and my teacher happened to sit still and talk for a long time about her life as she likes to do. I don't mind, it's usually interesting. For an hour I stared at her without focus and tried to see the aura.

As usual, I started to see a gradient of contrast around the silhouette, like the surrounding space blackened and the silhouette had such a smoky white glow around it. Sometimes I can see like wisps of energy slowly dissipating into the space, or leaving a trail when the person moves. But I must not move my eye muscles or change focus of eyes (that requires helluva relaxation and discipline) or either I lose the image or it stays as an imprint or afterimage on retina, you know, like after looking into the sun.

So that's what I saw at first, but I kept getting an impression of green blots over the image. After more relaxation and focusing I started seeing lots of green color around her. And it wasn't just green, mostly it was yellow-green around her upper torso and lower it was blue-green. It was all a really beautiful, vivid glowing color. I repeated the observation many times over the lesson, to take it all in. I couldn't see all her aura at once, it was so captivating that in the best moment I focused my eyes and lost the sight. Also, around her head I saw a thicked white glow, it was halo-like. This I suppose was the etheric, vital body. The colourful thing was probably astral body, the vehicle of emotionality.

Later when I got home I went on the net and searched on Theosophic website what is the clairvoyants' take on the meaning of colors, that is, frequencies on which the auric envelope vibrated and produced the due colors. I already knew that yellow color means intellect, that's to be expected from a teacher. I also knew that blue means religiosity, faith, or certain piousness or spirituality, depending on the hue. That would fit too, my teacher wears a small cross and sometimes talks about her faith in life and destiny and afterlife. Nothing organized religious at all, but the feeling and hope is there.

And the green color, this one I didn't know and it's a diffcult one. It means more things than any other color, the only common theme is a kind of active adaptability.
With low, bland, dark or pukey hues of green that may mean deceitfulness or fraudulency of a person, or even a primitive cunning of a tribesman. (or one of the ghetto gypsies in sweatpants walking around)
But the vivid, radiant green I saw was more on the opposite side, a sign of sympathy and desire literally to help others by accomodating the teaching style to the students' needs. Which my teacher really does, she does a lot of extra work to help out my classmates and she makes a distinction between our language levels.

So as an esotericist I can say, mission accomplished. No scientific test was done, no objective evidence produced, no repeatability assured, no peer-reviewed journal was contacted, but still, I witnessed a rare and beautiful phenomenon and that's a spice of life Cool

23-03-2012, 03:37 PM
(22-03-2012 07:07 PM)DeepThought Wrote:  Way to contradict yourself in 2 sentences. Yes things have subjective values attached. That is the reality of living in our society. Living like it isn't so is wishful thinking. You couldn't function if you didn't attach values to things.

Maybe you watched Fight Club and took it a little too seriously?

I had a bit of a hard time understanding Fight Club... how... could he fight himself? But yes I do understand by saying I don't delude myself with the worth of others, and then I said that I do value my species could be considered a contradiction. I'm sure you could guess at what I was getting at though, the species as a whole is greater than all of us.
23-03-2012, 03:42 PM
you should try to pay attention in class instead of trying to read your teacher's aura, I'm just sayin' Tongue

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
23-03-2012, 03:52 PM
(20-03-2012 09:05 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  I just don't get it.

When I came to this forum, it was because I was seeking refuge and community from the bizarre and delusional thinking of theism. Now, every once in a while, the wacky theists here do get on my nerves with their dribble, but lately, even their obnoxious voices have been drowned out by the number of insane threads on all manner of craziness from Israel faking the Holocaust in order to get their own playground to NASA faking the space program. Oh, and let's not forget the stupid fuckers who think Bush blew up the WTC.

When did we stop being an intelligent forum? When did we decide insanity is an ok thing to encourage?

Apparently, some here need to go back to their How Not To Be An Idiot 101 Class. To that end, let's start with some common sense tools:

Once you've mastered that video, you may go on to this one.

Listen up, you non-farting preacher ..
It's all a plot by the pharmaceutical companies, run by Jewish aliens. They are testing some new drugs for severe schizophrenia. As you can see, it's not working too well. The first doses were given to Lee Harvey Oswald, and John Hinkley. (Just prove they weren't). Rose Kennedy had the patent on it, and now Michelle Bachmann's husband bought it. Their base of operations is in the Vatican basement, and everytime you walk past a statue of Jeebus, the implant in your butt sends them a message, and sends your brain waves to the monitoring center. Just you watch it. YOU are being watched. Those little beanies the bishops wear ... they're really antennae .. BE VERY AFRAID. Tongue

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
The noblest of the dogs is the hot dog. It feeds the hand that bites it.
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
23-03-2012, 04:18 PM
(23-03-2012 03:42 PM)nach_in Wrote:  you should try to pay attention in class instead of trying to read your teacher's aura, I'm just sayin' Tongue

It sort of depends on the teacher themselves to teach their students, I was a good student during high school especially in my Junior year. I wanted to know everything I could and still do in fact, but in my senior year I had a really shitty science teacher, which really blew because I LOVE SCIENCE, I also had a shitty economics teacher, only thing I really learned there was a bit about stock exchange.

For example, in my Junior year I learned poisonous plants on my free time (it interested me for some reason) and in science class I paid so much attention to learn the chemical compositions of certain molecules. Water is of course H2O and oxygen is O2, but what really interested me was carbon based molecules. One time I knew a lot about that, however you know what they say, if you don't use it you lose it.

Really funny because in my Sophmore year I completely sucked dick and ended up having to take 2 classes over again, one math class and one english class. (my english teacher in sophmore year was also a shitty teacher) A comparison why my 10th grade english teacher and my senior year Science and economic teachers were so shitty is because they took up all of your class time giving you nearly 0 information and then didn't give you any time at all to read the textbook. I mean if you're not going to teach anything why not at least let your students just read out of the textbook and stop wasting their time?

As for my math class well, I had a good teacher for math that year but like I said I really did blow super balls before I became an atheist Tongue
23-03-2012, 04:29 PM
(23-03-2012 04:18 PM)TheArcticSage Wrote:  
(23-03-2012 03:42 PM)nach_in Wrote:  you should try to pay attention in class instead of trying to read your teacher's aura, I'm just sayin' Tongue

It sort of depends on the teacher themselves to teach their students, I was a good student during high school especially in my Junior year. I wanted to know everything I could and still do in fact, but in my senior year I had a really shitty science teacher, which really blew because I LOVE SCIENCE, I also had a shitty economics teacher, only thing I really learned there was a bit about stock exchange.

For example, in my Junior year I learned poisonous plants on my free time (it interested me for some reason) and in science class I paid so much attention to learn the chemical compositions of certain molecules. Water is of course H2O and oxygen is O2, but what really interested me was carbon based molecules. One time I knew a lot about that, however you know what they say, if you don't use it you lose it.

Really funny because in my Sophmore year I completely sucked dick and ended up having to take 2 classes over again, one math class and one english class. (my english teacher in sophmore year was also a shitty teacher) A comparison why my 10th grade english teacher and my senior year Science and economic teachers were so shitty is because they took up all of your class time giving you nearly 0 information and then didn't give you any time at all to read the textbook. I mean if you're not going to teach anything why not at least let your students just read out of the textbook and stop wasting their time?

As for my math class well, I had a good teacher for math that year but like I said I really did blow super balls before I became an atheist Tongue

I meant Luminon, but is good to know Tongue

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
23-03-2012, 04:54 PM
(23-03-2012 04:29 PM)nach_in Wrote:  I meant Luminon, but is good to know Tongue

Well I did the same thing with my senior year math teacher, except I wasn't looking for an aurora, but there was a lot of smoke, she was smoking hot! Nah but I did pretty good in my math class that year.
23-03-2012, 05:55 PM
A couple weeks ago there was a marathon on TV of a show called something like Chasing Bigfoot. My husband had it on. I was doing homework and puttering around and not paying it much attention. I left and ran some errands and when I got home it was still on. In a real excited voice I asked if they had found Big Foot yet. I got a look.

I sat down and in a couple minutes some woman in the group (on the show) started making what I assume they thought were Big Foot calls...that was it for me.

The premise of the show is they have never found a Big Foot but they know it's mating call...oh FFS.

How does this stuff get made into a TV show? Because people believe bizarre things.

'See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way.' -JF
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
23-03-2012, 07:26 PM
(23-03-2012 05:55 PM)Anjele Wrote:  How does this stuff get made into a TV show? Because people believe bizarre things.

God Forbid that the T.V. was ever used for educational purposes.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Thank you people for existing donotwant 12 286 16-04-2014 07:02 PM
Last Post: Miss Suzanne
  I Care How People Live Not What They Believe davidamusick 5 398 04-10-2012 04:57 PM
Last Post: davidamusick
  Things I did for the environment Observer 5 378 14-10-2011 05:29 AM
Last Post: Filox