Why Do People Riot?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-06-2017, 08:56 AM
Why Do People Riot?
When a protest turns into a riot, why do peaceful people join in on the violence and destruction? This SciShow video talks a bit about group identity, which I found a bit interesting.

What are your thoughts? A follow-up question- is it ever warranted to riot?

I think it's almost never warranted- if ever at all. But I understand why it happens. I'm generally not a supporter of violence and destruction. However, protesting is critically important in a society where injustice exists.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-06-2017, 09:03 AM
RE: Why Do People Riot?
No time to watch just yet - but my thinking is that there is safety in numbers, plus there is group-think. Group think is super dangerous IMO, but it also has harmless applications such as concerts...

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
06-06-2017, 09:03 AM
I don't think it's ever warranted really. We had the London riots a few years ago, which were legit insane at the time. I'm personally not sure why you would ever riot, without something like the government turning on it's people or something huge like that.

Having problems with your computer? Visit the Free Tech Support thread for help!
[+] 1 user Likes OakTree500's post
06-06-2017, 09:10 AM
(06-06-2017 08:56 AM)Emma Wrote:  I'm generally not a supporter of violence and destruction. However, protesting is critically important in a society where injustice exists.

No one listens when there's no violence and destruction. Everyone just says "Oh that's very terrible, those poor people" and ignores them. And then when there *is* violence and destruction, usually after a long period where people try to be heard in less confrontational ways they say "Oh those disgusting people! How dare they! We won't address their concerns because they expressed their protest violently." Catch 22.

I really struggle with this. Where I live in South Africa there's a long history of violent protests. I personally abhor it - I would never. But the reasons why... for me once there is a violent protest it shows that people feel *very strongly* about an issue. Which means that whatever the opinions as to whether or not the protestors are right or not, something has to be done about it, and not just cracking down - finding the root causes, helping people address the issues. Otherwise all you do is postpone things until the pot boils over again.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 7 users Like morondog's post
06-06-2017, 09:16 AM
In a very general sense, a grievance in which all legitimate channels have been exhausted and is still not addressed, violence is used to upset the conditions that make that grievance persist. In such riots, the rioters have reached a point where their cost-benefit analysis favors violence - they have nothing to lose.

For sports related riots, I think the psychology is a little different. Most of it is just venting and releasing tension, to restore chemical balance and to fit in with your peers.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
[+] 5 users Like tomilay's post
06-06-2017, 09:23 AM
@morondog

Every protesting movement that wasn't openly and blatantly revolutionnary always needed two faces. One group, led by a charismatic leader (or leaders) that is well organised, very active and non-violent and another group, led by a charismatic leader (or leaders) that is well organised, not very active and violent. If you have only one group, those who are in power will simply weather the storm, attack the leader reputation and wait for disengagement from the base as time goes by. If you have only of the other one, the said group and leader will be called terrorists, arrested and their cause considered almost criminal. Sadly, if those who are in power were squeemish about peoples feelings and reputation, they wouldn't be power in the first place. Virtue wins heart not conflict.

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
[+] 3 users Like epronovost's post
06-06-2017, 11:45 AM (This post was last modified: 06-06-2017 12:01 PM by GenesisNemesis.)
Because they feel as though they're not being listened to, so what's the only other option? Violence. Furthermore when you're in a crowd, it's easy to lose your sense of personal identity.

[+] 4 users Like GenesisNemesis's post
12-06-2017, 06:06 AM
it seems a very interesting video, thanks for sharing
12-06-2017, 06:13 AM
Protesting is one thing. Rioting is quite another.

Rioting involves violence toward others and property. Rioting sets loose those who would use the riot to their own purposes, such as setting fires, stealing property, destroying property.

Normal people who wouldn't steal or set fires or hurt others decide to do so to benefit themselves. Something is amiss with a person who decides to steal a flat screen after a store window is broken. Some way they justify this crime, which they would never commit under normal circumstances. Or is it just that they think they won't get caught during this upheaval?

The skin of civilization is very thin.

"The Ox is slow, but the Earth is patient."
12-06-2017, 06:15 AM
They don't think of it as rioting.

They think it's an enthusiastic protest.

And it's not looting - it's "extreme shopping"...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post