Why Do You Not Believe In God, Folks ?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-01-2012, 10:18 AM

RE: Why Do You Not Believe In God, Folks ?
(06-01-2012 06:40 AM)Infidel Wrote:  I think many of you who are claiming to be atheists are just a bunch of arrogant and closed minded street thugs.

WTF is that about??
This chap seems to know nothing about the Atheist community. As a reminder we tend to know far more about the Bible God than the vast majority of those claiming to worship him.

If you wanna worship your electrical outlets and pure energy, awseome, just dont think you are gonna come to an atheist forum and find us agreeing with your love of a light switch and electrical outlets. Edison Rocks, no doubt, but not worthy of praise.

Close minded street thugs? The ones i've encountered are normally trying to sell me crack, not reason or free thought.

Good luck with your pure energy stuff......you simply sound like a different brand of the same ole crazy to me.

D
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Denicio's post
06-01-2012, 10:39 AM
This seemed like a Genuine attempt at understanding our lack of belief in a god, then you state that we are wrong as it doesn't line up with your own views of the universe and god.

What is water? What is energy? Really! Pick up any child's science book and it will give you a good explanation of these things.
DNA viruses etc may not have been known about, the difference between them and a god there is hard observable testible evidence of their existence, god on the other hand is a concept you learn from others originally thought up as a way to explain how the world works before science could, its a simple concept to grasp.

Why are you here? Do you really feel the need to tell everyone who doesn't share your view that they are wrong?

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-01-2012, 10:54 AM
(05-01-2012 09:08 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  It's not that I don't believe in god, AbdelZ, it's more like I have no need of one.

(05-01-2012 04:06 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(05-01-2012 03:34 PM)Infidel Wrote:  I deny all of the gods! I have found pure energy and the peace of the universe. I am smaller than a drop of water in the sea, but this pure universal energy goes on when I die.If you can feel peace leading you, you are traveling in the right direction.

That sounds like new age woo without any more evidence than there is for gods.

Why you fuckin' with the new guy Chas? That ain't woo, that's just his interpretation of a particular perspective of realizing and dealing with the fact that he's smaller than a drop of water in the sea. We all gotta deal with it one way or the other. His sounds as good to me as any. He didn't advertise it as science, so it ain't woo by my definition.

Well, it turns out is was woo.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-01-2012, 12:18 PM
(05-01-2012 02:33 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(05-01-2012 02:05 PM)AbdelZ Wrote:  Why Do You Not Believe In God, Folks ?

The Question Is Not Only : "To Be Or Not To Be " As Shakespeare Put it , But Also " To Believe Or Not To Be[color=#FF0000]lieve "

Because there is no evidence for the existence of gods.

Ooouufff , read this thread's topic first

The intellectual approach of life , the universe ... is pantheistic , so

The very ultimate nature of reality or life is spiritual, so
06-01-2012, 12:24 PM
(06-01-2012 06:40 AM)Infidel Wrote:  I would never go back to the slaughter house god. The Abrahamic religions (Islam- Judaism-Christianity) have turned the world into one big nut house. But there is something out there.It is bigger than the universe.It makes me high, it makes me alive, it makes me strong, it renews my mind. I am not sure what this is now. Surely you will say I need a psych doc. But the power, peace and joy is very real, and it is much bigger than you, bigger than me. Years ago I would have called this god, now I am not sure.
I think many of you who are claiming to be atheists are just a bunch of arrogant and closed minded street thugs.

I have no problem with your belief. Doesn't hurt anyone. But the comment about street thugs is way off base. Not because of the thug part but because of the claiming to be atheists part. I'm pretty sure everyone here is sure of what they are. The insinuation that they are only pretending, or that they aren't atheists because they are street thugs is silly. Being atheist doesn't mean you are peaceful or kind, or even understanding. It just means you don't believe in god.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
[+] 3 users Like lucradis's post
06-01-2012, 12:37 PM
(06-01-2012 12:18 PM)AbdelZ Wrote:  

The Question Is Not Only : "To Be Or Not To Be " As Shakespeare Put it , But Also " To Believe Or Not To Be[color=#FF0000]lieve "

Prove that
god = the universe

better yet just prove that
the universe is self-ware and/or capable of thought

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
06-01-2012, 12:46 PM
(05-01-2012 02:05 PM)AbdelZ Wrote:  Because fact is , even the so-called atheists among yourselves cannot really deny as such , is that the belief in God is biological innate instinctive... as some British philosophers of ethics stated in other words , to some extent at least : Hume , Locke

[b]Besides , no single so-called atheist can ever deny the fact that he /she might have experienced /experiences some religious sentiments at a given moment of his / her life : belief in God as a matter of human consciousness too .

I've read everything that David Hume wrote (as far as I know) and he really doesn't support your position. But just writing his name isn't really a citation, anyway. Why not actually quote something of his that supports this, and perhaps link to one of his works (all of which are available online just by Googling the titles).

In fact, this paper that I've linked to spells out why skepticism is the proper position by default, and explains why "supernatural" evidence can't ever logically be considered stronger than its natural explanation.

And you're right to say that all atheists have experienced "religious sentiments", just like we've all been scared of things that go bump in the night at one time or another. But we don't give in to our feelings when we have better explanations. We understand that, as humans, we're faulty machines that give in to mistaken assumptions. But that doesn't mean that, after figuring this out, we're fated to always be this way. Grow up, AbdelZ, and try to become a better person. Don't assume that your nature is always in control, even when irrational. You can get over it, just like many of us former theists did.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
[+] 2 users Like Starcrash's post
06-01-2012, 12:47 PM (This post was last modified: 06-01-2012 01:02 PM by AbdelZ.)
[+] 1 user Likes AbdelZ's post
06-01-2012, 01:04 PM

(06-01-2012 12:47 PM)AbdelZ Wrote:  
(05-01-2012 02:49 PM)Denicio Wrote:  
Quote:Hey Abd,

Hi, man

[quote]Glad you came here for some honest inquiry. Let me invite you to read a post of mine.

Thanks, i am genuine indeed in trying to find out what makes you, guys , not believe in the obvious existence of God although i have some pretty ideas about just that .

Obvious existence of God in the sense that that is a matter of human intuition : note that intuition is the higher form of intellect for example .

I will read that post of yours , thanks

Quote:http://thethinkingatheist.com/forum/Thre...t-Designer

Sounds interesting , i will finish reading it later on

I invite you to read these following great books you can download for free here below :

http://www.feedbooks.com/userbook/14177/...t-in-islam

http://www.muslimphilosophy.com/iqbal/index.html

http://www.archive.org/details/makingofh...00brifrich

See this original topic i placed in another forum & here in this one :

http://www.maroc.nl/forums/nieuws-de-dag...ethod.html

Books whose authors proved the islamic Qur'anic origin of the scientific method for example , proved the fact that evolution itself was discovered by muslims centuries before Darwin was even born & much more

Quote:Simply put, the god character outlined in the OT/NT is not worth of worship.

I am talking about the one & only God there is .

Quote:Can you give us a few good reasons he is?

Simply because He created you for example : God created you for the simple reason to worship Him .....worship of God in the larger islamic sense at least that does not exclude the individual affirmation of the self of the believer in the act of worship .

Quote:You'll catch me saying this more than once. I am MORE MORAL than the god of the bible. Heck, i dont even know YOU and would venture to say you have not comitted mass genocide, slavery, murder, direct involvemnt in hardening hearts to yeild a result, and many other traits and acts of the god of the bible. Yes, YOU TOO are more moral than Charlie "God" Manson. Abd, have you ever wanted to kill someone because of Foreskin??? Well, your god has! Yep a flap of skin send him into a Dick Cheney rage!

Once again, i am talking here about the one & only God there is , the one & only that had sent all those prophets to their own peoples only whose original messages were falsified beyond any recognition except that of the last prophet Mohammed who was sent to all humanity

Quote:Giving a son (ie Voluntary Manslaughter) is not a noble deed for an all powerful being (John 3:16). Its a terrible solution to a self made problem. God is clumsy and incompentent...if you can not see that..then you've not been reading your bible.

God has no sons , come on .

Jesus was just yet another jewish prophet -human we believe in as well as in all the other prophets , Jesus who was sent to jews only ; Jesus was neither crucified nor killed , but was just confused with another one who was crucified in his place ............

That christian trinity non-sense had just an ancient Greek origin , considering the fact that the theology of christianity was Greek, ironically enough ....

Jesus was sent only to jews , so christianity was mainly just made up by its founder Paulus mainly & by the other bible writers : christianity that did exist thus only in their heads & had thus nothing to do with Jesus ................to some extent at least

Thanks , appreciate

AbdelZ

I am at a loss for words. You are not talking god like we are talking god. You seem to dont know the definition of words or know what they mean.

In order to have a discussion there has to be a mutually agreed upon set of definitions. You are kicking jesus to the curb and seem to balk at the bible.

You gotta define what exactly you are calling god?

Truth be told your god could be your cat.

MOST of us here are talking about the Judeo Christian God in various forms in various religions.

I'm not really sure what the hell you are talking about. You remind me VERY much of ole Morris from Sling Blade! (See video below)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDKBJxRh_UU

Please define for the rest of us exactly who the hell your god is.........

D
Quote this message in a reply
06-01-2012, 01:05 PM
(06-01-2012 12:18 PM)AbdelZ Wrote:  

What? The topic is "Why do you not believe in God, folks?".
And I answered that question.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]