Why Do You Think Christianity Is False?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-11-2011, 06:09 PM
RE: Why Do You Think Christianity Is False?
Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence, except when evidence is expected. There is no evidence for the Abrahamic God, although evidence is expected, and so we can justifiably say that God does not exist.
Also, you can get into the pesky little contradictions, and the fact that no one ever even within a single religion has agreed on a single aspect of God's character - which is exactly what we would expect if a god was not interacting with people.

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo

"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." - Voltaire
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-11-2011, 07:42 PM
One good starting point for me has always been the Ten Commandments - that's the best an omniscient creator being who undertakes to give humanity a definitive set of guiding principles can do?
[+] 2 users Like Eye Sage's post
15-11-2011, 08:13 PM
(15-11-2011 07:42 PM)Eye Sage Wrote:  One good starting point for me has always been the Ten Commandments - that's the best an omniscient creator being who undertakes to give humanity a definitive set of guiding principles can do?

Don't forget God also came up with the 200 somthin other laws as well which include instructions on how to properly beat the shit out of your slave and how women must marry their rapist...

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. -- Voltaire
[+] 2 users Like ddrew's post
16-11-2011, 12:14 AM
(15-11-2011 10:01 AM)calmyourtitsbro Wrote:  I don't think that Christianity is false, just pieces of it.

I'm currently in the process of reading through the Bible.

As I read, I find more & more flaws.

"God" told Noah to make an ark.
He made the ark & load it with a male & female off each animal.
& His family.

7 days after they got on the ark, "God" sent a huge flood that destroyed the Earth.
A while later, the flood dried up; yada yada.

"God" sends a rainbow to show that & I quote: "No more floods with destroy the earth."
But if you read Revelations, one of the ways the world will end, is with a flood.

Flaw.

There are more, but I need to pay attention to my Spanish work. Wink

Well done CYTB
There are inspiring bits in the Bible just as there are in great poetry and prose.
Beware of Revelations; it is one place in the book that drives people really crazy.Angel
[+] 2 users Like Mr Woof's post
16-11-2011, 12:39 AM
I've never taken the big step to read the entire bible before. The closest I have come is an illustrated edition of the Book of Genesis by R. Crumb. And I have read a few verses while doing some historical research on the liturgy of the Kaifeng Jews of China. I actually used my grandmothers "old as dirt" bible when I did that. She knows that I am not religious, so she had the oddest look on her face when she saw me holding it.

What is the best version to read? I would prefer it to be some type of scholarly edition if possible.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes ghostexorcist's post
16-11-2011, 04:33 AM
The way I look at it, if there is a god, then it would have created the world, universe and everything, so the natural world should not contradict the holy scriptures if they were really inspired by god. if they do confict (which clearly they do) then the scriptures couldn't be the word of god but instead the work of men.

For exampe, If the bible is true then why would it put men above women? When clearly in reality women have shown themselves to be every bit the equal of men at any task.

why would the god of the bible have such a problem with homosexuality when there are examples of homosexuality in other species of "his creation"? For that matter it would seem that god seems to let nature play pretty fast and loose with sexuality, with asexual creatures, creatures that can change their sex during thier life, creatures who's sex is determined on the temperature at which they are incubated etc...

And of course there is all that nonsense in Genesis.

It seems that the god of the bible doesn't seem to know much about the world he is credited with having made. That was my first clue.
[+] 1 user Likes unsapien's post
16-11-2011, 09:09 AM (This post was last modified: 16-11-2011 09:21 AM by Eye Sage.)
(15-11-2011 08:13 PM)ddrew Wrote:  Don't forget God also came up with the 200 somthin other laws as well which include instructions on how to properly beat the shit out of your slave and how women must marry their rapist...

Oh yes, let's not forget all those other gems. This brings me to another thought though - if Christians are so willing to distance themselves the laws about stoning disobedient children to death because they are part of the old covenant why do they get so uppity about having these particular ten taken out of a courthouse where they didn't belong in the first place?
[+] 2 users Like Eye Sage's post
16-11-2011, 10:25 AM
(16-11-2011 12:39 AM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  I've never taken the big step to read the entire bible before. The closest I have come is an illustrated edition of the Book of Genesis by R. Crumb. And I have read a few verses while doing some historical research on the liturgy of the Kaifeng Jews of China. I actually used my grandmothers "old as dirt" bible when I did that. She knows that I am not religious, so she had the oddest look on her face when she saw me holding it.

What is the best version to read? I would prefer it to be some type of scholarly edition if possible.

I'd recommend reading the NKJV... It'll have all the savory and juicy stuff that KJV has just without all of the "thou's and shalt's, heariths" and what not. But yes! Do read the entire Bible from cover to cover.

How I read the Bible and it's entire content was I started with the New Testament first. The 4 gospels, acts, and then all the letters by St. Paul and finally revelations.
Then I read the real horror story, the Old Testament, and after I got through that mind blowing experience I was left with thinking how much God is the actual villian character of the entire Bible!
Enjoy!

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. -- Voltaire
[+] 2 users Like ddrew's post
16-11-2011, 10:46 AM
(16-11-2011 10:25 AM)ddrew Wrote:  I'd recommend reading the NKJV... It'll have all the savory and juicy stuff that KJV has just without all of the "thou's and shalt's, heariths" and what not. But yes! Do read the entire Bible from cover to cover.

How I read the Bible and it's entire content was I started with the New Testament first. The 4 gospels, acts, and then all the letters by St. Paul and finally revelations.
Then I read the real horror story, the Old Testament, and after I got through that mind blowing experience I was left with thinking how much God is the actual villian character of the entire Bible!
Enjoy!

Thank you very much.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-11-2011, 10:49 AM
One thing i do not understand is how Jesus was ressurected, it is clearly not possible..Dodgy