Why Do You Think Christianity Is False?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-11-2011, 11:12 AM
RE: Why Do You Think Christianity Is False?
That last made me laugh no offence. It just reminds me of how people get hung up on the believability of Lois lane not recognizing Clark kent as superman simply because he isn't wearing glasses anymore. Totally forgetting that the story is about a guy who can fly and is super strong and fast etc...

The Jesus being resurrected is actually plausible given certain circumstances... None o which are of course mentioned within the bible. But out of the whole new testament malarkey the Jesus being resurrected story is not where I get hung up. Noah's ark is worse, walking on water too, or another resurrection in the Lazarus story. Oh and man in the sky.. Taking snake.... Woman from ribs.... Tree of knowledge... Oh man the stories within are just stupid. There isn't much to gain from any religious book in this day and age. We need to stop holding them up as morally superior and start reading them in school under the title of mythology or shit we used to believe when we were really dumb still.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like lucradis's post
16-11-2011, 03:28 PM (This post was last modified: 16-11-2011 03:55 PM by free2011.)
The very foundation of Christianity is Genesis. It literally starts the story. Once evidence was discovered for the true development of the Universe and Earth coupled with the evolution of our species the rest crumbles. Without Genesis you don't have original sin and without original sin you don't need a savior and without a savior you don’t have religion.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like free2011's post
16-11-2011, 03:50 PM (This post was last modified: 16-11-2011 04:03 PM by houseofcantor.)
(16-11-2011 03:28 PM)free2011 Wrote:  The very foundation of Christianity is Genesis. It literally starts the story. Once evidence was discovered for the true development of the Universe and Earth coupled with the evolution of our species the rest crumbles. Without Genesis you don't have original sin and without original sin you don't need to need a savior and without a savior you don’t have religion.

Foundation of Christianity is Paul, you atheist you!

But like how we were just mixing it up with megamix, adding the OT to the NT just makes it that much easier to dismiss. Wink

Doesn't matter what the mixmaster thinks; Ezekiel put the smackdown to original sin. Wink
(16-11-2011 10:25 AM)ddrew Wrote:  
(16-11-2011 12:39 AM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  I've never taken the big step to read the entire bible before. The closest I have come is an illustrated edition of the Book of Genesis by R. Crumb. And I have read a few verses while doing some historical research on the liturgy of the Kaifeng Jews of China. I actually used my grandmothers "old as dirt" bible when I did that. She knows that I am not religious, so she had the oddest look on her face when she saw me holding it.

What is the best version to read? I would prefer it to be some type of scholarly edition if possible.

I'd recommend reading the NKJV... It'll have all the savory and juicy stuff that KJV has just without all of the "thou's and shalt's, heariths" and what not. But yes! Do read the entire Bible from cover to cover.

How I read the Bible and it's entire content was I started with the New Testament first. The 4 gospels, acts, and then all the letters by St. Paul and finally revelations.
Then I read the real horror story, the Old Testament, and after I got through that mind blowing experience I was left with thinking how much God is the actual villian character of the entire Bible!
Enjoy!

I disagree - completely. Big Grin

But there ain't nothing wrong with reading stuff. For hard copy, I would recommend NIV Study Bible. If one can read off a computer screen, one wants to go here: Crosswire. This is the group that runs the open-source Sword project. My Sword has American Standard, Hebrew Names, Apostle's, King James, Young's Literal, and the Septuagint for versions; Strong's Hebrew, Greek, and other concordances such as Easton and ISBE. All free to download, and the Sword combines the modules into a workable Bible Study companion.

...but the Gospels are straight fiction. NT is pretty much Romans; the OT has got all the good stuff. Ecclesiastes is my fave, but Job is the "sheep-shearer deluxe" - just like god intended. Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
16-11-2011, 05:08 PM (This post was last modified: 16-11-2011 05:12 PM by mysticjbyrd.)
This one is too easy. You don't even need to discuss past deeds, read the bible, discuss morals, etc... All you have to do is look at some basic math that is completely 100% T-totally incontrovertible.

Over the course of human history, from the distant past to the present and deep into the future, there will be a near infinite number of Religions developed. Therefore, the probability that any one of these religions is correct is 1/∞ = 0%.
You literally have a 0% chance to pick the correct religion.
16-11-2011, 05:12 PM
(16-11-2011 05:08 PM)mysticjbyrd Wrote:  Over the course of human history, from the distant past to the present and deep into the future, there will be a near infinite number of Religions developed. Therefore, the probability that any one of these religions is correct is 1/∞ = 0%.

Almost. There will be a very large number of religions, so the probability will be vanishly small, but not zero. This is only true if one of the religions is correct.

The number of correct religions is either 0 or 1.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
16-11-2011, 05:15 PM (This post was last modified: 16-11-2011 05:41 PM by mysticjbyrd.)
(16-11-2011 05:12 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(16-11-2011 05:08 PM)mysticjbyrd Wrote:  Over the course of human history, from the distant past to the present and deep into the future, there will be a near infinite number of Religions developed. Therefore, the probability that any one of these religions is correct is 1/∞ = 0%.

Almost. There will be a very large number of religions, so the probability will be vanishly small, but not zero. This is only true if one of the religions is correct.

The number of correct religions is either 0 or 1.

Yes it approaches zero, but for all extensive purposes it becomes so low that it is arguably zero. There is a probability that I will completely dematerialize and rematerialize on the moon, but it aint happening.
For all intents and purposes those probabilities are zero.

And if the correct # of religions is 0, then your probability is still 0.
16-11-2011, 05:19 PM
(16-11-2011 05:15 PM)mysticjbyrd Wrote:  ... but for all extensive purposes ...

?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
16-11-2011, 05:23 PM
(16-11-2011 05:08 PM)mysticjbyrd Wrote:  This one is too easy. You don't even need to discuss past deeds, read the bible, discuss morals, etc... All you have to do is look at some basic math that is completely 100% T-totally incontrovertible.

Over the course of human history, from the distant past to the present and deep into the future, there will be a near infinite number of Religions developed. Therefore, the probability that any one of these religions is correct is 1/∞ = 0%.

Fail.

Gwyneth Paltrow. Probability:1. Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
16-11-2011, 05:25 PM (This post was last modified: 16-11-2011 05:41 PM by mysticjbyrd.)
(16-11-2011 05:19 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(16-11-2011 05:15 PM)mysticjbyrd Wrote:  ... but for all extensive purposes ...

?

Sorry I am tired, it was supposed to be, "for all intents and purposes"

All humans have to round numbers, even computers are forced to round...

0.0000000000000000000000000000001 = 0

I do not take dematerializing into account when I plan my vacation for example.
Not that we get vacations here in the states lol.
[+] 1 user Likes mysticjbyrd's post
17-11-2011, 01:57 PM
If by Christianity you mean the litany of written Christian literature then, I think Christianity is false because….
I'm not really sure something established as fiction can be called "false".
Smile Irrelevant yes, but false… hmm.

Dodgy Can a work of fictional literature be false? I consider Aesop's collected works to be fiction, yet understand they are used to illustrate certain truths: action and consequence. I can not say the fables of Aesop are true stories, but I can say that they illustrate truths of action and consequence. Aesop's Fables claim right up front to be not true -they are a collection of fictional stories.

I think Christianity makes itself false, simply by claiming truth absolute while providing unsubstantiated (at best) claims of evidence.
I am the truth, therefore, I can't be false, because I say so.

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." ~ Seneca the Younger

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein