Why Does the Far-Left Defend Islam?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-05-2017, 03:44 PM
RE: Why Does the Far-Left Defend Islam?
(25-05-2017 06:38 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Literally no one on this thread has denied the evil things committed in the name of Islam...or any other religion or ideology. But you keep trying to make Islam unique. Once again, you inadvertently blame the innocent when you overgeneralize a group and you do yourself a disservice to not look up the abhorrent actions and atrocities committed by those of other ideologies, religious or otherwise...

The Islamic religion is unique.

I think we need to consider the activities of Muslims in third-world, predominately Islamic countries like Indonesia or Pakistan or Iran—versus the activities of Muslims in first-world, Anglophone Western countries like the US, Canada, the UK, New Zealand, and Australia. And let's say that in the latter, the predominant governmental influence has mirrored the relatively benign tenets of the modern Christian religion, whereas in the former with its lack of church/state separation, the population is controlled by the violent, misogynist, homophobic, authoritarian, oppressive, and often murderous tenets of Islam.

Here in Australia, our federal security agency ASIO currently has around 90 Muslims on its daily watch list—for having suspected terrorist links to Isis or Al-Qaeda. This low(?) figure is largely due to the fact that practising Muslims accounted for only 1.1% of our population in 2015.

Further, more than 500 Muslim "refugees" bound for Australia during the past 12 months have been refused entry, after an alert from the FVEY intelligence agency that their names were on an international security watch list. And at least 30 of those had also turned up on ASIO’s ­national security terrorism watch list—with a further but undisclosed number red-flagged by intelligence agencies as having "adverse national security profiles".

So how many Catholics, Anglicans, Buddhists, Mormons, Lutherans, or Presbyterians are on the ASIO terrorist watch list? None.

—I rest my case m'lud. Cool

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
26-05-2017, 03:48 PM
(26-05-2017 12:45 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  As a pointless aside, I have always hated "my bad"...

Anywho, yea, not all liberals value censorship as a blanket solution. I value blasphemy ridicule and even cussing sometimes, but that is not the same as political demagoguery...

And as another pointless aside...

I've always hated people who say "anywho" as what they think of as a trendoid misspelling of anyhow. Or are they just dyslexic? Tongue

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
29-06-2017, 08:52 PM
I think that there is a difference between Islam and Muslims, just as there is a difference between Christianity and Christians. There is much about Islam that promotes peace, just as there is much about Christianity that promotes love. At the same time, there are Muslim terrorists and there are Christian terrorists, both claiming to be inspired by their religion. Is the ideology of Islam to blame for the terrorist actions of a small minority of Muslims? Is the ideology of any religion to blame for the horrible actions of any who claim to follow that religion? In this sense, I find most religions to be detrimental to the human race since it seems that the more religious a person is (regardless of religion) the more likely that person will do something crazy. Well, in all honesty, I'm not exactly certain how psychotic Buddhists can be, but my knowledge there is limited.

As for those of us on the left... well those of us on the left seem more open and tolerant of other religions in general, while those on the right tend to stick to Christianity without much tolerance for others. There are always exceptions, of course.

Ideologically, Islam is no better or worse than most other religions. Realistically, though, the Muslim culture tends to be more zealous than most other religious cultures. Your average Muslim is seriously fucking Muslim, whereas your average Christian is somewhat Christian, as long as it's not too inconvenient. In that sense, Islam tends to scare me a little bit, since most Muslims take their religion so seriously that rationality will be discarded if it interferes with their dogma. I don't know whether the initial ideology is to blame, or whether the cultures that adopted Islam were already predisposed to irrational violent behavior, or if politics used religion as a tool to help shape these people into what they are today... lots of things could be at work here. In short, religions of any kind can persuade people to do some fucked up shit, which is why you rarely see any fucked up atheists. As a religious ideology, I will defend Islam by saying that it's no more fucked up than Christianity or Judaism or Hinduism. As a people, I am quite wary of Muslims, since they tend to be more fanatical about their beliefs than most other religious people.

Hail Satan.
29-06-2017, 10:49 PM
(26-05-2017 03:44 PM)SYZ Wrote:  So how many Catholics, Anglicans, Buddhists, Mormons, Lutherans, or Presbyterians are on the ASIO terrorist watch list? None.

—I rest my case m'lud. Cool

Wow, must be nice to have no crazy Christians in your country... Drinking Beverage

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]