Why Genocide is an Atheist's Game

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-10-2014, 12:00 PM
Why Genocide is an Atheist's Game
A favorite claim of the religious is that atheism is responsible for the greatest acts of genocide ever perpetrated and the funny thing is, they're right. But they're right for reasons that oppose them, not for the reasons they think.

Genocide on a truly horrific scale requires something only recently gotten into human hands: mechanized killing. Hence, the greatest genocides numerically are only recent events, and while high proportional genocides reach back centuries, raw numbers of gross slaughter only became possible with automatic gunnery, high yield bombs and other deadly products of advanced technology applied by less advanced minds.

Side by side with improvements to the technology of mass death is another very profound social shift: the marginalization of religion in political leadership. The human race may be stupid on many fronts, but it's smarter than we think in how it chooses to be led, and the great majority of humankind keeps the fanatically religious away from direct control of the levers of power. Most governments today are operated secularly, and religion may get lip service, but not buttons to push. That's even true here in the United States. Much as no atheist could ever get elected to public office, neither could a Pat Robertson, or a Billy Graham, or any other massively popular evangelist. The evangelists are way too extreme for the mainstream public to stomach in high political station. How much of the human race pays serious attention to the Vatican? The Pope seems today to be trying to figure out how to get the papacy to fit the real world, not the other way around.

Atheism is closely correlated with knowledge of how the world really works, and knowledge of how the world really works makes one able to make more effective decisions, and guide one's own destiny. The atheist who aspires to power and wields knowledge ruthlessly will much more likely realize his ambition than anyone else less knowledgeable or less driven.

So, recent history has seen ruthless leaders who, being atheist, applied their superior knowledge to become leaders, leaders to a people who distrust anyone religious ever attaining political leadership, with the result that some of these atheist bastards armed with the best killing tools ever invented were able to kill by the millions.

So, yes, atheists committed the worst genocides. And their atheism was a factor, but not the driving factor. The driving factor was being a bastard, something every human being has in his genes.

Atheists did them because as political leaders they could.

Religious leaders didn't do them because religious political leadership is increasingly impossible. There aren't any significant religious political leaders. Were religious political leadership still possible today, the history of genocide would be BLOODIER than it was, bloody as it was. The Middle East is the last bastion of actual religious political leadership, and the whole world has watched as that leadership made the Middle East the most inviting paradise created on earth - for corpses.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Airportkid's post
08-10-2014, 12:12 PM
RE: Why Genocide is an Atheist's Game
Facepalm

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
08-10-2014, 12:13 PM
Uh... I can't think of any instances of explicitly atheist genocide. Can you?

Exterminating entire people(s) is not a new phenomenon. Not even close.

... this is my signature!
[+] 3 users Like cjlr's post
08-10-2014, 12:14 PM
(08-10-2014 12:00 PM)Airportkid Wrote:  Genocide on a truly horrific scale requires something only recently gotten into human hands: mechanized killing. Hence, the greatest genocides numerically are only recent events, and while high proportional genocides reach back centuries, raw numbers of gross slaughter only became possible with automatic gunnery, high yield bombs and other deadly products of advanced technology applied by less advanced minds...

Atheism is closely correlated with knowledge of how the world really works...

So you're saying it's correlation and not causality, and that we're comparing the change of each with time as the X axis? Interesting. This does make a lot of sense, although I'm not sure there's enough to make it a slam-dunk.
08-10-2014, 12:18 PM
If Hitler was one of the ones you're thinking of, you can add it to the other side of the ledger. Germany was a Christian nation which elected him and carried out his orders. He (personally) committed no genocides.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
08-10-2014, 12:19 PM
[Image: oHe1Y7D.jpg]

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 3 users Like Vosur's post
08-10-2014, 12:20 PM
I honestly can't think of a single good example of genocide by an atheist. I can think of two political "purges" but no genocide.
[+] 1 user Likes natachan's post
08-10-2014, 12:50 PM
Nicely put AK.

Wouldn't it be more accurate to posit that future genocides will be committed by those who are not openly theist as opposed to openly atheist.

The point about religious fanatics not getting elected is not universal. Certainly true for most of Europe and the US but it might take a few more religiously inspired genocides in Africa, Asia and the Middle East before rejection by the masses becomes the norm.

Thanks for the thought-provoking OP.

Cheers

08-10-2014, 12:52 PM
(08-10-2014 12:50 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Nicely put AK.

Wouldn't it be more accurate to posit that future genocides will be committed by those who are not openly theist as opposed to openly atheist.

The point about religious fanatics not getting elected is not universal. Certainly true for most of Europe and the US but it might take a few more religiously inspired genocides in Africa, Asia and the Middle East before rejection by the masses becomes the norm.

Thanks for the thought-provoking OP.

Cheers

... Except his basic facts are wrong.

So there's that.

... this is my signature!
[+] 5 users Like cjlr's post
08-10-2014, 12:59 PM
Quote:So, recent history has seen ruthless leaders who, being atheist, applied their superior knowledge to become leaders, leaders to a people who distrust anyone religious ever attaining political leadership, with the result that some of these atheist bastards armed with the best killing tools ever invented were able to kill by the millions.
Examples?

"Name me a moral statement made or moral action performed that could not have been made or done, by a non-believer..." - Christopher Hitchens

My youtube musings: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfFoxbz...UVi1pf4B5g