Why God can not exist - logical arguments

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-06-2014, 02:12 AM
Why God can not exist - logical arguments
Here are some arguments why God can not exist and why religion is nonsense:
1. God knows if you go to heaven or hell and you can't change it but still he gives you free will. Logically impossible.
2. God creates something out of nothing- equation 0+0 =1
3. God is immortal and he can commit suicide.

More examples, on my youtube video, link below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lw-5M6lgCM8
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-06-2014, 06:26 AM
RE: Why God can not exist - logical arguments
(19-06-2014 02:12 AM)mlecyq Wrote:  Here are some arguments why God can not exist and why religion is nonsense:
1. God knows if you go to heaven or hell and you can't change it but still he gives you free will. Logically impossible.

I think number 1 doesn't work. Just because God is supposed to know in advance what you are going to do with free will does not mean that your actions are determined.

I think all three are not that good and there is a much better one.

The concept of God violates and contradicts every fundamental principle that we know about the universe. Any time you investigate what god is and what are his attributes you wind up with a contradiction. The concept rejects all of the axioms of philosophy including the primacy of existence. The argument from the primacy of existence is irrefutable. It has a built in defense mechanism in that its opponents must accept and use its premises in order to attempt to refute it.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
[+] 2 users Like true scotsman's post
19-06-2014, 08:42 AM (This post was last modified: 19-06-2014 08:54 AM by Impulse.)
(19-06-2014 02:12 AM)mlecyq Wrote:  Here are some arguments why God can not exist and why religion is nonsense:

These aren't arguments against any gods, but specifically against the Abrahamic ones.

1. I agree with true scotsman. People have debated this and many agree with you. But I have always seen this as you are free to choose, but god just knows in advance what you will choose.

2. Either something originally came from nothing or something always existed. Neither seem logical, but if you rule out the former, you are left with the equally illogical latter. So this argument doesn't work. Also, I don't think something coming from nothing equates to 0 + 0 = 1 anyway. There's no plus. It's simply 0 then 1.

3. According to the religions that you are discussing, we are all immortal. Only the body is mortal. God "died" only in the same sense that we all do. His body died, but his soul lived on.

The references to god above are simply how the religious would argue. They are not my own viewpoint.

Personally, I don't think you can argue that god cannot exist - only that specific gods cannot exist.

By the way, I see you are new. Welcome to the forum. Smile

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
19-06-2014, 08:59 AM
my question:

Why do you answer website questions and not prayers ?

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
[+] 2 users Like sporehux's post
19-06-2014, 09:20 AM
Ha - I try not to argue about why nonexistent things don't exist - doesn't seem like a fun way to productively occupy precious moments of life. But hey, knock yourself out Mlecyq... lots of that goes on here and it's good practice for people who want to do that. There are also a variety of viewpoints and discussions here too...

Welcome to the forum. Smile

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
19-06-2014, 09:34 AM
1. A = Any god
2. B = An imaginary god with the exact same properties as A, such that B=A
3. Since B=A, then A is also imaginary.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post
19-06-2014, 10:04 AM
(19-06-2014 09:34 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  1. A = Any god

By the transative property Tongue
19-06-2014, 11:04 AM
I believe if you are capable of reshaping your beliefs based off of evidence, you will logically arive at the conclusion of no god. If youre the type to reshape evidence to fit beliefs then vice versa.

I think people also look for a philosophical 'why' ultimate purpose, but thats a manmade idea. Why is a silly and infinite question. Accepting that we are all the same and our purpose is what we make it removes the necessity for a diety. Want of a god and higher purpose isnt any proof or requirement for it.

We also evolved to understand our environment (ie cause and effect). Quantum mechanics doesnt fit in our common sense because we didnt evolve to understand it. Accepting the idea that the universe does not conform to your common sense and understanding why you think the way you do can also lead to the conclusion of no god.

Not necessarily reasons why he cant exist....im not sure there are, but there are logical ways of thinking something through that will end at the conclusion that there is very likely no god.

The religion of one age, is the literary entertainment of the next.
[+] 1 user Likes =jesse='s post
19-06-2014, 11:09 AM

That logic isn't processed according to theistic principles, which would run closer to something like this:

1. A = A cow.
2. B = An imaginary cow identical in all aspects to A such that B = A.
3. Since B = A, A is a duck.

QED (Quack Erat Demonstrandum)
[+] 4 users Like Airportkid's post
19-06-2014, 01:17 PM
That sounds like Christian logic with a non-Christian conclusion. Tongue

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.