Why God could exist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-04-2012, 04:59 PM
RE: Why God could exist?
Looks like everyone's already covered the important stuff here... but I want to reiterate one thing.

It's not about being unable to think outside the box- whatever that means in this case.

It's about finding deistic gods and pantheistic gods to be irrelevant. If it's not a personal god that takes interest in humanity, then what is the point? If there is a god out there and it is unaware or uncaring about humanity- then we are irrelevant to it. And so it becomes irrelevant to us. And without evidence to support the theories and ideas that you have, they are also irrelevant. It may be fun to ponder and make theories on your own- but that fun is short lived for most of us because there is simply no way to know. And if there's no way to know, what's the point? You can make up any wild ass thing you want and call it a theory! Sorry, that doesn't do it for me. But for some people it's fun. Have at it. Thumbsup

And, since that's what all religions are, they don't do it for me either. The difference with Christianity is that I grew up with it and it was used to control me for a significant portion of my life. And it still is used to control me and my behavior regularly in the US government (and other governments) and in the US society in general, and in my family life, I have more motivation to discuss Christianity.

Deism and pantheism don't matter to me, because they don't impact me in a noticeable way. Whether or not there is a deistic god seems irrelevant to me so far in my life.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-04-2012, 07:53 AM
Think this guy is coming back?

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
20-04-2012, 08:05 AM
I like the point kineo is making here, and would like to add to his statement. Christopher Hitchens has made a similar argument to the possibility of god. If he did exist, and you could prove it, I still would not worship it. I refuse to postulate myself before another. He created the universe. So what? If you wanted mindless adoration for your accomplishments you should have created yourself some groupies. Instead, I have my own mind and my own will and I am going to use them.

The idea of worship actually escapes me. I can have respect for something. Appreciate a person or thing or idea. Marvel at the universe and our world and all the things we have revealed. But I do not worship any of these things, and a being that requires that of others is not something I can begin to respect.
[+] 3 users Like arbmouser's post
20-04-2012, 08:33 AM
Lmao. God lives in the parts of the light spectrum we cannot see! Surprise surprise!

God? Laughat